Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About:

So this is my Bug Out Bag. My purpose with this bag is to get me to my BOL and to support me if it takes longer than I thought. Estimated distance to my BOL is 200 miles. I’ll also have access to my GHB if I have access to my BOV (I’ll post that later).

After much hunting I decided to go with the Vulture II. It has enough space for my needs and is well built. I chose to go with a solid color so I do not stand out as much and am not a possible target due to looking too “military”. I purchased a Molle Nalgene pouch and a rip away EMT pouch for the pack as well. Both work very well. The EMT pouch wiggles around and moves a bit more than I would like, but it is well built and will not be coming off unless I want it too. In the future, I may purchase another Nalgene pouch and put the FAK somewhere else. Suggestions on pouches/pouch placement?

I put a LOT of thought into the FAK. More info can be found in my post in the First Aid Forum. Please redirect your FAK questions/comments there. http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=101546

For shelter, I got a Green/Olive Eureka Solitaire for 50 dollars shipped on Ebay. The yellow ones are ugly as sin. The Recon 3 was more expensive and purchased new for around $130. Both of these fit inside the Vulture II. I would HIGHLY recommend these for those looking to save pack space and weight. Love them both.

Food is simple. I plan on using Mountain House meals for as long as they last. The Pocket Rocket is fantastic. I highly recommend it. It works well and packs down small. I am also packing a Mainstay 3600 bar as a LAST RESORT in case my food runs out. I also carry Cliff Bars (Gotta love Mint/Blueberry). Bic Lighters have never failed me in my many years of backpacking. Never. Not even once. Yet I still carry a spare in a waterproof container.

Water is my weak spot right now. I live in Wisconsin, so I don’t think that I will have too much difficulty finding water. But than again, I only carry one liter in my Nalgene and a 2L bladder. Not much room for error here. Suggestions on the water issue will be much appreciated.

As far as weapons goes, I still need to acquire a firearm. I have my eyes set on a Glock 19. This is difficult at the moment due to my living situations. Sooooon. I will probably keep two spare magazines in my pack once I get my weapon.

There is also the issue of luxuries. I am an avid backpacker and have TONS of awesome (and higher quality) gear to choose from. I have all of this gear in the same closet as my Bug Out Bag. If TSHTF and I do not have time to grab more gear I can take my Bug Out Bag. However, if time allows, I will pack more gear into the car.

Questions? Comments? Kentucky Fried Chicken? Feel free to post.

Back Pack

• Vulture II 3 Day Pack
• (3) REI Ultralight Stuff Sacks
• (2) Small Eagle Creek Pack-It Sacs
• (1) Medium Eagle Creek Pack-It Sacs

Apparel

• (2) Smart Wool Socks
• Wool Beanie
• Ex-Officio Boxers
• Synthetic Long Sleeved Shirt
• Synthetic Short Sleeved Shirt
• 5.11 Tac Lite Pants

Fire

• (2) Bic lighters

Food

• (4) Freeze Dried Entrée, Mountain House 2-Serving
• (7) Bags Tea (Gotta love Teavana)
• (4) Cliff Bars
• (1) Mainstay 3600 Bar

Food Preparation

• Titanium 0.9 Liter Pot
• Titanium Folding Spork
• MSR Pocket Rocket
• MSR Isobutane Fuel
• Stainless Steel Mug (nests on the outside of my Nalgene)
• (2) P-38 Can Opener

First Aid

• Rip Away IFAK On the Outside of Bag
• OTC Meds (Ibuprofen, Excedrin, Pepto-Bismol, Immodium)
• (2) ACE Wrap
• (2) Kerlix Gauze
• Quickclot Sport
• Four Inch IZZY Pressure Dressing
• SWAT Tourniquet
• Triple Antibiotic Ointment
• BurnJel Bottle
• BurnJel 4x4
• EMT Sheers and Tweezers
• Cotton Swabs (First Aid)
• (2) Nitrile Gloves
• Moleskin
• 4x4 Antimicrobial Gauze
• Assorted Band-Aids, Gauze Pads, Butterfly Closures
• Benzalkonium Chloride Wipes
• (2) Quality 3M One Inch Tape

Hygiene & Sanitation

• Nail clippers
• (15 Count) Sanitation Wipes, Wet-Ones
• Toothbrush
• Toothpaste
• Spare Contact Lens
• Contact Lens Container
• Contact Lens Solution
• Deodorant
• Compact Roll of TP
• Razor and Shaving Cream
• Spare Razor Head
• Cotton Swabs (Hygiene)

Knives & Tools

• Leatherman Wave
• Gerber LMF II
• Gerber Cheapo Knife

Navigation, Signaling, and Lighting

• Map Wisconsin
• Fenix LD20

Shelter

• Eureka Solitaire Tent Olive/Green
• Recon 3 Sleeping Bag

Water

• Nalgene Water Bottle
• Backup Tablets
• MSR Hydration Bladder

Misc

• 50 Feet 550 Cord
• Duct Tape Business Card
• Girlfriend
• (4) AA Spares
• (4) CR123 Spares
• Write In the Rain Notebook
• (2) Pens
• Mini Black Sharpie
• (2) Garbage Bags
• SS Card
• Birth Certificate
• $400
• Spare Drivers License
• Spare Keys to Car and House
• MSR Packtowl

Pictures below

Please note that everything is not pictured. See pack list for more info.

Everything.

My food settup.

Tent and sleeping bag. Notice the Nalgene for size comparison.

Misc stuff. Clothes, Toilitries, Fenix LD20, Gerber knife, ect.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I have a Eureka Solitaire as well, it seems like a nice tent - but I have not had the chance to take it out yet. One thing though, that Eureka Solitaire has a thin floor, you really need some kind of ground cloth for it. I set mine up in the yard (just to check it out), and it felt like the grass was going to poke holes in the floor.

I like those mainstay bars - good choice.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I'm always curious about the weight of the bag filled. I can't tote what I used to do.
I recently traded off a pack that was heavier than I thought when EMPTY. I don't think I was paying attention when I bought it.

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
Good post, nice pics. Thanks for sharing.
So refreshing to see a post on here that actually relates to survival and prepping.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses.

Due to responses on other forums as well as these, I'm going to probably add the following:

Waterproof matches
Compass
Work gloves
Rain Poncho
Coffee Filters

Kev, I probably will add a foot print to the bottom when I take it camping. But for now, there is simply not room in the pack for me to justify the space.

As far as the firesteel issue, I know alot of people here are fans. But have you ever had a Bic fail? I sure have not ever had one fail in my many years of backpacking. I have been using the same one now for like 2 years. Its almost empty though.. gotta make a mental note to replace it.

·
Registered
444 Posts

Due to responses on other forums as well as these, I'm going to probably add the following:

Waterproof matches
As far as the firesteel issue, I know alot of people here are fans. But have you ever had a Bic fail? I sure have not ever had one fail in my many years of backpacking. I have been using the same one now for like 2 years. Its almost empty though.. gotta make a mental note to replace it.
Firesteel lasts a long time (i.e. it can light a lot of fires before it is used up). THAT is the primary reason to own one. Why bring several waterproof matches which are one use each when you can bring a single firesteel (requiring not waterproofing) that will last several thousand strikes for the same (or less) space?

·
Simmer down now
1,711 Posts

...As far as the firesteel issue, I know alot of people here are fans. But have you ever had a Bic fail? I sure have not ever had one fail in my many years of backpacking. I have been using the same one now for like 2 years. Its almost empty though.. gotta make a mental note to replace it.
I take it you have never had one of those Bic's get wet in a situation where drying it out quickly was not an option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice bag

Instead of the pocket rocket I would recommend the MSR International. It's just about as light and works with unleaded gasoline (and kerosene). Those butane stove are nice but if it gets cold they don't work.

The MSR bladder is the best bladder on the market. They won't puncture like other bladders and they will always seal. They still taste like crap but all bladders do. I opted for the 10 Liter bladder with the intention of only carrying 2-3 liters while hiking. The idea behind the 10 liter is that I can use all 10 Liters when I get to my destination. Many water sources will be a hike from your location and its nice to have a bigger bag for a camp setting (for washing and showers etc.).

I will add the quickclot and SWAT Tourniquet to my kit. The Immodium is another item that's a great idea which I need to add. Diarrhea is a killer :eek:.

Skip the deodorant.

I've been working on a bug out bag list here which I update as I come across posts like this.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Instead of the pocket rocket I would recommend the MSR International.

I opted for the 10 Liter bladder with the intention of only carrying 2-3 liters while hiking. The idea behind the 10 liter is that I can use all 10 Liters when I get to my destination. Many water sources will be a hike from your location and its nice to have a bigger bag for a camp setting (for washing and showers etc.).

Thanks for sharing!
I really love that stove. I just wish I had room for it. In the future, I may get a bigger bag, and add the international. Stove fuel is likely to run out eventually, and running the stove on gasoline would probably work well.

I like this idea ^^. I will really consider it, because I know how handy a bigger bladder will be when setting up camp and cooking.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another idea that I'm going to try is using a stainless steel 40-60 oz water bottle in place of the nalgene. That way I can boil water in it. Hopefully that doesn't warp the metal so I can't screw in the lid anymore. We'll test that out this summer. They don't seem much bigger or weigh much more than a nalgene.

·
Plays best, alone
5,021 Posts
VG setup. 2 compasses, one good and one small cheap one, redundancy. More cordage, firesteel. 200 miles= good little hike, double check footwear. I see girlfriend listed, what does she carry? Put together a bag for her too if you haven't yet.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
use your best gear, one bag.

If you need too have a smaller bag, that can be attached, with specific "bug out" items but keep your main pack the same. You have an advatage that most do not have. As you know, using your gear is the best test.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.