Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
One decade later...
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be speaking hypothetically here, but I am wanting to know what
people would do in the particular situation I am going to describe below.

Let's say you own several guns, shotguns, handguns, deer rifles, etc. And in the middle of the night, you hear the thump and bump of an intruder. Well, come to find out the intruder has a fully automatic ak-47 and has entered just for the thrill of kill. This person intends on coming into your house to take as many people with him/her that they possibly can. Lets also say this person has hundreds of rounds and clips, and just comes in firing round after round.

How would you defend yourself in this situation, and how would you defend your family, where would you hide and wait, and what would you do with your family?

This of course has not happened to me, and I hope it never does, but if it does happen I would like to know how to prepare, because it is a very scary thing to have to worry about. :xeye:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Most home invaders are people looking for items of value and almost never go looking for a "kill". Most will have some cheap hand gun at the most, others may have a shotgun, but would never carry more ammo that the gun holds.

But if something like you are describing ever happened, I doubt anyone would ever know what to do because they would be dead before then knew it. Someone with that much motivation and planning would be hard to stop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
He would not get passed the "bump in the night phase". Dogs bark, I awake, grab loaded Winchester 12 gauge next to bed, if he survives 5 rounds of 00 buck I have a Mini 14 in the next room. The fact he has that much ammo or that much firepower shouldn't matter, you should still adequately be able to defend yourself if you are armed. Remember, he is relying on the element of surprise. Don't let him have it. Always have some kind of alarm, be it a dog or an actual alarm system. Always have a firearm within arms reach.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
Just do the best you can. Not a good scenario, I'm afraid. They'd have the advantage of surprise and firepower. What would you do to prepare? What could you use to your advantage? Arrange your home, furniture, to slow such an attack, if even for a second or two. You know your home, even in the dark. Let your dog(s) run loose. Always be near firearms. Practice for such an event, to the point that your reaction is second nature and quick. If you anticipate such an event, arrange alarms outside of your residence. Cross your fingers!! lol And there are STILL those who would rely on dialing 911 !

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
What we think we would do,and what we would actually do ,are 2 completely different things.

I would like to think that I could keep my wits about me and retreat to my bedroom ,where I would grab 1 of my loaded handguns and kneel behind my bed and wait for the evil bastard . When I sense that he is nearing the "chokepoint"/doorway ,I will start shooting through the drywall and will continue to throw lead until he or I are incapacitated.

But in reality ,i'm afraid I may just freeze up in shock and just end up as red paint on the wall. We can prepare all we want ,but we can't predict how our brain will respond to a life threatening situation,until it happens.

·
Registered
816 Posts
first of all, has the situation that you described EVER happened? Not saying it couldn't, but you obviously can't completely protect yourself against EVERY possible occurence. You can always say 'what if'.

Secondly, as orderofthedragon stated, what type of weapon the intruder has doesn't make THAT much of a difference. As long as you have some system set up to warn you of an intrusion, then YOU should have the element of surprise. And it only takes one bullet to stop somebody. Whether they have a .25 derringer or a minigun. Unless they already knew which room you were sleeping in and just shot through the walls with hundreds of rounds, it wouldn't matter that they had full auto.

If you think somebody could break into your house so quickly that you wouldn't have time to even grab a gun and take up a firing position, than that is something you need to worry about, not what weapon they may have.

Realistically, carrying hundreds of rounds of ammo would be a big hindrance in movement, and you have to reload even if you have 75 round drum mags. Full auto weapons are scary and dangerous, but there is a reason the military doesn't even use them as the primary infantry weapon.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
As much as I "know" about this paticular intruder, he knows nothing of his intended operation area (my home). Lets break it down a LITTLE (cant give all my secrets away) :)

First, he is on camera from the minute he steps foot on the property. As he nears the house the cameras also have attached motion sensors, they dont activate anything outside, they do however activate a set of panic alarms in the house, the whole outside is covered. The inside has motion alert cameras as well, although not as many, then there are the hallway alarms, and the autodialer. It doesnt call the police, it calls real backup.

Second, he has no real idea as to the layout of the house, I do. I know where all the points of entry are, I even know where the weak points of entry would be.

Third, there are more than one of us here, and we are trained to operate in our environment (before you ask, yes my wife is fully trained and capable).

Fourth, I out arm him by 20 fold, pick one and blast. assuming we both do the same thing (me and wife) we could lay down enough fire to suppress this guy right off the bat, he could fire from cover, but that would assume he knew how to cover. An AK can shoot through everything in my house, I can shoot him around a corner, if needed.

Fifth and final :) I am not going to tell you how it really would be handled, but. My family (kids) sleep in what we call the "protected room". No external entry points, and you must go through our room to get to theirs. I would most likely turn the TV on and check the cameras, once I accessed the situation, the wife and I will either team clear the house or she will monitor and protect the children, she will also contact the backup that will arrive, and dispatch police once we have the situation accessed.

·
Last of the First Line
864 Posts
I'm a heavy sleeper, so I'd probably wake up some time after the incident and see it on the morning news...

Well - draconian Canadian firearms law aside... And I'm not saying I'd break Canadian laws, or recommend the breaking of any laws. This is all hypothetical anyways, right? :D:

What's the use of owning a firearm for self defense if you don't have it on you (and ready to use), even in the four walls of your home?

And practice... "Their drills are bloodless battles, and their battles bloody drills." - Josephus I don't know if I read it on this forum, or another one I am a member of - but set an alarm clock to go off in the middle of the night, at random times. Practice getting your firearm "into action" upon snapping awake (safely... no negligent discharges!!!).

It's just like any other skill. You have to practice it. Just like people practice shooting, firemaking, felling trees, cooking, and a million other learnable skills - you have to practice waking up and making yourself ready to defend yourself at the drop of a hat.

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
Most home invaders are people looking for items of value and almost never go looking for a "kill".

Guess again. "A burglar is a murderer who has yet to be confronted by a home owner." Stated by an old time deputy sheriff and he was right. Time and again you will read about home owners who met up with burglars only to be clubbed to death or shot and killed by the burglar. A burglar is already committing a felony. What's one more, like the murder of a home owner, to a crack addicted dirtbag? Nothing at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would sit inside and wait for him to enter ,,,,,,hopefully once he got on my turf "that I know in the dark" he would not leave ever again.

·
Leave Me Alone
434 Posts
Many people have successfully defended themselves against bad guys with a machine gun or full auto. Old street cops, prepared home defenders, even little old ladies. Of course the "what-if's" could last forever, but it is impossible to plan for every scenario. Let's just say, around the house, a good handgun and Shotgun or rifle, will usually take care of any thug monkees with bad intentions, as long as you have practiced, know your gun and have determined in your mind to take care of business. I always say, buy the best guns you can possibly afford, burn plenty of ammo, have the right attitude, and have a plan. Go over in your mind, reasonable scenarios and always keep it in the back of your mind. Remember, a firearm is only a small part of your protection. Dogs, Alarms, Locks and barriers all make up a part of your home protection.
The case you describe in your question is rather outlandish, but anything is possible I suppose.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
... Shoot em before they get a shot off. Two to the chest, one to the head. If someone is in my home at night that shouldn't be there- I'm not waiting to ask questions if we're talking a lawless post-fan world.

I am going to be speaking hypothetically here, but I am wanting to know what
people would do in the particular situation I am going to describe below.

Let's say you own several guns, shotguns, handguns, deer rifles, etc. And in the middle of the night, you hear the thump and bump of an intruder. Well, come to find out the intruder has a fully automatic ak-47 and has entered just for the thrill of kill. This person intends on coming into your house to take as many people with him/her that they possibly can. Lets also say this person has hundreds of rounds and clips, and just comes in firing round after round.

How would you defend yourself in this situation, and how would you defend your family, where would you hide and wait, and what would you do with your family?

This of course has not happened to me, and I hope it never does, but if it does happen I would like to know how to prepare, because it is a very scary thing to have to worry about. :xeye:

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I guess I would yell as loud as I can and tell everybody to hit the deck .I gonna open up on his punk azz with the M1A.

Reactions: Pixelguy
1 - 20 of 41 Posts