Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv been thinking what things will not be found or become scarce for a while after the SHTF. The one Iv done is based on where I live in the Uk, we import a great deal here. You may wish to think about where you live and do a list which suits.

Wont be available:

Cotton
Cotton threads
Man made Fabrics
Stockings/tights/hosiery
Silk
Satin

Tropical Fruits
Coffee
Normal Tea
Soft drinks such as Coco cola
Chocolate

Sponges
Condoms

Metal needles
Sewing needles
Press Studs
Velcro
zips
Elastic
Plastics
Metals
Plastic Buttons

Watches
Clocks
Calenders

Petrol
Diesal
Oil for machinery
Break fluid etc
Batteries
Wire
Scourers
Gas
Electric
Pens and refills
Stamps - wont need them anyhow
Pencil sharpeners
Erasers
Elastic Bands

The things that may come back in time:

Metals
Enamels
Grapes
Salt
Pepper
Spices
Vinegar
Wine
Cider

Buttons
Scissors
Knives
Razors

Coal
Charcoal
Bricks
Cement
Putty
Glass

Glasses
China
Pottery
Basketry
Cutlery
Soap
Linen
Mirrors
Magnifiying glasses
Tape measures
Meter sticks

Fabrics
Wools
Shoes
Sandles
Boots
Laces
Bags
Clothes

Fertilisers
Animal Feed

Maps
Photography
Art

Spectacles

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I would tend to believe that should tshtf, there would ne nothing readily available. If you don't already have it you would be forced to go out and attempt to find it. How would you get food, order it on the internet ? What you would really want to do , is to try and stockpile all the food you can. Be sure that you also by lots of garden seed, and put them in an airtight container. Seeds will be worth much more then silver or gold, as they would be the building blocks for any kind of future. If everything were to shut down, and you have a couple of hundred pounds of say potatoes, corn, squash, green beans, you would be rich by those standards. Silver and Gold would be really hard to digest.

·
Banned
3,995 Posts
TEOTWAWKI necessarily means a huge drop in the number of living people.

Sorry but every house and store is going to be full of new and used clothes for a generation. I'm not much worried over the lack of clothing/fabric production for the next few decades.

By extension, I'm not worried about hammers, screwdrivers, pins, and all the other things of civilization which will far outnumber the human population.

I'm also not worried about the useless items. There'll be plenty of brake fluid, transmission fluid, and windshield wiper fluid because after the first week there won't be any gasoline for the vehicles. Parked and rusting cars don't need extensive maintenance.

Not erasers but paper?

Not worried about wire because as long as there's no electricity, there'll be plenty of wire from electric devices and power lines.

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
Before and after a disaster - anytime wal-mart is closed or out of stock - people go into hoarding mode.

If you want to talk about what is going to be scarce - go ahead and say "everything".

·
Registered
430 Posts
Things like peroxide and othe medical supplies. There's a group that crochets reuseable cotton bandages for people with leporousy (sp?) in Vietnam out of crochet thread. I've been using the pattern to crochet them for us.

·
Born to prep
3,596 Posts
For the most part I have to disagree with this list. A lot of it we do not need any way and a lot of it will be replaced with other things. All so there is a lot of this stuff out there.

Cotton Will be replaces with wool, flax, skins and naked bodies.
Cotton threads Will be replaced with wool, flax and other vegetable fibers
Man made Fabrics Will still be man made.
Stockings/tights/hosiery What did they wear in the 1500s?
Silk Do not need.
Satin Do not need.

Tropical Fruits Will be replaced with other fruits.
Coffee Do not need.
Normal Tea Do not need.
Soft drinks such as Coco cola Do not need.
Chocolate Do not need.

Sponges Will be replaced with rags.
Condoms The birth rate will need to increase to repopulate the earth so do not need.

Metal needles Will be replaced with boar bristles.
Sewing needles se above
Press Studs Snaps? Will be replaces with buttons.
Velcro Will be replaces with buttons.
Zips Will be replaces with buttons.
Elastic Will be replaced with belts.
Plastics Will be replaces with metals, glass, wood and bone.
Metals The earth will be covered with metals.
Plastic Buttons Will be replaces with buttons made from metal, glass, wood and bone.

Watches The sun.
Clocks The sun.
Calenders The seasons and moon.

Petrol Walk, hoses, dogs, goats.
Diesal Walk, hoses, dogs, goats.
Oil for machinery Will be replaces with vegetable and animal fat
Break fluid etc Will not need.
Batteries Will not need.
Wire The earth will be covered with metals.
Scourers ?
Gas Methane.
Electric Sun
Pens and refills Will not need.
Stamps - wont need them anyhow
Pencil sharpeners Will not need.
Erasers Will not need.
Elastic Bands Will not need.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I am thinking mostly it will be the tropical foods we will miss here deep in the heart of the midwest and far from tropical weather and oceans. That and the infrequent but deeply enjoyed shrimp dinner I have been used to getting. I'll be able to get apples and catfish eventually, but probably not oranges, pineapple, banana or coconuts... so guess what foods I am stocking more heavily? survivors will be able to scrounge most tools and fabrics and after a time more fabric at least will be made. it just depends on how deep a collapse we all experience, and who can tell for sure? good thoughts in this thread, hope to see more posted here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts