Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's probably not realistic of me, but I was wondering if I should put a couple of hand tools that would make building a simple cabin ever so better beside the hatchet and pack saw that I have.

I was thinking that there could be a time when bugging out meant for good and living in a tent might wear a bit thin after a while.

I can see an auger and chisel but what size?

Anyone know of a tasty little kit that has 3 or 4 perfect tools that share a handle or that sort of thing?

:)

·
Super Moderator
12,572 Posts
I don't think you'll find a small kit to do what you need. Here are the tools I'd recommend to cache (well oiled and protected) for the time when you need to build in the wilderness.

Measuring tools
plumb bob
level
square
compass
protractor
rule
scribe
guideline string
chalk stick
wax stick
lumber measure

Field work tools
axe
shovel
felling saw
mallet
wedges
sledge hammer
rock drills
pick
mattock
block & tackle
chain hoist

Carpentry tools
adze
froe
heavy mallet
crosscut saw
rip saw
broadax (to square logs for cabin building) (12" log gave 8" timber)
hewind dog (to hold logs in position while squaring
light mallet
rasp
wood chisels
brace drill & wood boring bits
finishing saw
draw knife
plane
carving knife
sanding stone
pipe auger & reamer to make wooden pipe
(one end shaved down to fit taper at other end)

Sharpening tools
metal file
honing stone
strop
saw sharpening tool

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
Simple: 20 inch gas chainsaw, extra chain, chain tool, chain oil, 5 gal. gasoline, big chisel, sledge hammer, 25 foot tape measure, rope for dragging and a bow saw with 3-5 replacement blades.

Disclaimer: I've never built a cabin on my own, but I helped build one with basically the above tools. Of course, this equipment pretty much assumes a bug out vehicle is involved. I wouldn't want to actually carry all that stuff...

HippieSurvivalist

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about 10 lbs max, no gas, no BOV, no cache.

·
Super Moderator
12,572 Posts
rule - 6' to 25'
scribe - to mark logs
guideline string - for layouts and to extend the rule if it's a short one.
axe - good double bit axe
shovel - or e-tool
block & tackle - 500# class
half round wood rasp - for final fitting work
brace drill & three or four wood boring bits
metal file to keep axe and shovel sharp

·
Registered
439 Posts
I recently read that up until about the 1930s people in Finland would build an entire log house with an axe and a saw. I would add to that a hand drill for making holes to keep smaller things together with wooden pegs as well as a draw knife. Then maybe some of the other smaller measuring tools listed by other posters above.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've just been watching Ray Mear's "Real Heroes of Telemark" and he shows a cabin that knut haukelid and others made while hiding from the nazis, after the sabotage of the hard water facility. They made it from stone, double skinned stone wall and they lined the inside cavity with moss for insulation. Roof planks covered with sod and moss and it really blends well into the landscape.

Knut wrote a book called, "Skis Against the Atom".

·
Limpin to safety.
7,637 Posts
How do you build a cabin? How do you treat the wood? Could I build one on my land and use it for storage?

PLEASE ANSWER THIS!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually that's my next question as I have no idea, apart from seeing **** Proeneke build one in "Alone in the Wilderness". He had supplies flown in, used cement, poly, nails, glass. Luxuries one wouldn't be able to carry but one could possibly find and utilize.

I've seen pictures of people who call themselves "primitivists" and I've seen them dig basins 10'X10'X4', line it with 7' logs, cover it with poles and then sod. Boughs for a carpet and an entrance that is like a long tunnel. Hardly any tools.

Have you seen "Alone in the Wilderness" CrutchCOR?

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
How do you build a cabin? How do you treat the wood? Could I build one on my land and use it for storage?

PLEASE ANSWER THIS!!!!!!!!!!
IIRC the Foxfire Book, the first one, had fairly detailed instructions, drawings and pictures of building a log cabin...
< Amazon.com: The Foxfire Book: Hog Dressing, Log Cabin Building, Mountain Crafts and Foods, Planting by the Signs, Snake Lore, Hunting Tales, Faith Healing, Moonshining: Inc. Foxfire Fund, Eliot Wigginton: Books >

Allan

·
One of the Frozen Chosen
250 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks! There are some cob strawbale houses, mostly as recreational cabins, on some of the islands near here. I'm just thinking of a few very useful tools if it was TEOTWAWKI and the tent just isn't cutting it anymore. I'm not thinking of a BOL that I can prep for ahead of time. Cob, rock, wood and no nails or glass unless happened upon.

·
Registered
497 Posts
If you want to go with the lest number of tools I'd go with the Hatchet, Chisel, saw and a waxed string. Keeping in mind I don't do anything that looks good everything i make looks like a dog dragged it through hell and back but it works and stays in place. After that almost anything can either be built from wood or cobbled together. The addition of an Axe is a good idea either way. The waxed string can be used to make sure stuff is square if you mark it every foot or so with something to identify where each foot is. Make sure though if your going in this direction your tools are really good quality don't but them at the Canadian tire or Wal-mart and learn how to make wood handles. The chisel should be of high quality and look for something cabinet makers chisel or a a coach maker's chisel if you can find them any more. I'd also looking in to blacksmithing as your going to break tools and knowing who to create your own on the fly might be an idea. Course I don't know how practical making a cabin alone would be. It's not going to be easy. getting logs in place. How warm is your area do you need a cabin or would building a simple platform house with a platform bed and covered on three sides work better.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Course I don't know how practical making a cabin alone would be. It's not going to be easy. getting logs in place. How warm is your area do you need a cabin or would building a simple platform house with a platform bed and covered on three sides work better.
Well there is two of us and she's generally more capable than I am... :)

But Vancouver BC sits at on the 49th parallel at sea level (2hours drive north of Seattle). We do see temps below 0 degrees celsius and snow but the snow usually comes once or twice and melts within a week. Nov through to March is usually 0-10C with an average of 8 inches of rain each month. Soggy and chilly.

Staying on the coast, north of the city, is probably the way to go. There are lots of rivers, streams, lakes, fish and game besides the abundance of the ocean. It's amazing actually!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.