Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am working on a concept of turning a Sawyer point one water filter into a group based water filter.

Here on the property I have a clear running stream. The stream has a sandy bottom, about 20 feet wide, 6 inches deep and flows year round.

The idea goes like this:

The two or three drinking water bags would be a few inches below the dirty water bag, and they would be connected with clear tubing and splitters.

Finally, to fill your water bottle, there would be a hose with a valve going from one of the clean water bags.

While looking through youtube I found this video,

So, if the Point one can work off gravity, why can't it be used to fill two or three reservoir bags?

Sunlight

Then there is the idea of using clear bags and setting the whole thing in direct sunlight.

UV rays from the sunlight would help kill anything that made it through the filter.

Basically, something like a swing set frame with a series of water bags and water filters.

Final Goal

If everything works, get two or three sawyer point one water filters. When one is in service, the others would be back washed and set out to dry.

Thoughts, comments?

I thought about using the Sawyer mini, but the flow rate on it is terrible.

·
Only politics *****.
5,732 Posts
1 possible problem with your plan: what do you plan to do against chemicals? Your property might be clean, but many people live in agricultural areas or cities. There, at least, you need something which filters chemicals and pesticides. A few of them won't matter too much, but if you're planning to use it for drinking regularly, it can accumulate and become a serious issue.

I'd add something like an inline carbon filter after the sawyer when using your system unless you're sure your source is clean. You can get those easily and cheap in the US. Personally i just bought a hiker pro from Kathadyn. Should be able to drink anything that way. Just make sure you keep track of howmuch you've used the filter, because the carbon element does need replacing more quickly than most ceramic filters.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
How long have you observed this stream running "year round" ? 6 inches deep is tenuous, streams can change easily into dry creek bed from year to year. Or is this spring fed?

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How long have you observed this stream running "year round" ? 6 inches deep is tenuous, streams can change easily into dry creek bed from year to year. Or is this spring fed?

I am 49 years old and have never seen it go dry.

My dad, 69 years old, never saw it go dry.

My aunt, 82 years old, never saw it go dry.

Several springs come together to fuel the creek.

·
Threadkiller
1,881 Posts
Must have missed the 20 ft wide part. Makes me wish I was in E TX. Zeke must not be commenting on this thread cause he thinks you should search? :D:

·
Storyteller
3,107 Posts
For that Sawyer to work at all, you are going to need more 'head' or height difference between the source and the filter. I've never had any luck with my Sawyer working with less that a 2 food drop. Maybe others will chime in...

Good luck

·
[96] wks to off-grid esc
1,542 Posts
I've done something similar using a ceramic "bucket" filter, except using two (heavy, real waterproof) "riverbag" dry bags (one for dirty water and one for the clean water connected by a hose from the filter). Not sure about the Sawyer One, but the big ceramic filter works great for this, hang it in a tree and come back to about 3-5 gallons of filtered water, repeat.

One logistic tip I'll give is not to hang the clean bag directly underneath the filter, use enough hose so that untreated water that may splash, spill or leak does not get on or near your filtered container, when it comes to biologicals, a tiny drop of river water can recontaminate your filtered water.

I used the dry bags instead of buckets because I can store the entire unit in a 15" wide vacuum bag as a complete kit for LTS, and they would be much easier to transport, distribute, or barter, and are sealed from contaminates. I have a couple of these kits cached in my preps.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2 liter platypus bag and filter arrived yesterday.

Going to start working on the basic layout.

·
Super Moderator
12,343 Posts
I am working on a concept of turning a Sawyer point one water filter into a group based water filter.

Here on the property I have a clear running stream. The stream has a sandy bottom, about 20 feet wide, 6 inches deep and flows year round.

The idea goes like this:

The two or three drinking water bags would be a few inches below the dirty water bag, and they would be connected with clear tubing and splitters.

Finally, to fill your water bottle, there would be a hose with a valve going from one of the clean water bags.

While looking through youtube I found this video,

Sawyer Squeeze Filter with Bladder for a Gravity Filter - YouTube

So, if the Point one can work off gravity, why can't it be used to fill two or three reservoir bags?

Sunlight

Then there is the idea of using clear bags and setting the whole thing in direct sunlight.

UV rays from the sunlight would help kill anything that made it through the filter.

Basically, something like a swing set frame with a series of water bags and water filters.

Final Goal

If everything works, get two or three sawyer point one water filters. When one is in service, the others would be back washed and set out to dry.

Thoughts, comments?

I thought about using the Sawyer mini, but the flow rate on it is terrible.
Have everything except the dirty water bag down low, but use a long hose between the dirty water bag and the rest of it, and have a hoist or light block and tackle to raise the dirty water bag up as high as practical.

Just my opinion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts