Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Something I don't often see mentioned when it comes to saving money is to wear your clothes, coats, and shoes until they're no longer useable, rather than following fashion trends. I have one "dressy" outfit, and everyday clothes that are good enough for wearing away from home eventually become my "work around the house"/in the yard clothing. All my clothes fit into a closet that is less than three feet wide.

Here is some financial advise I got when I graduated with an Engineering degree in 1982.
Save some token amount automatically from my first paycheck (I was able to save $50/mo).

Each time I got a raise, take half the increase and add it to the auto savings amount.
When I could afford a house, take out a 30 yr fixed rate loan, then pre pay it at the 15 yr rate.

I graduated in Dec 82 in the worst economy since the great depression. My starting salary was not great, but the Reagan boom was just starting. Within two years my salary had gone up 50%, and I was able to choose from several great offers.

I bought a house in 1986 and paid it off in 1999. I never finnanced a new car. During this time I was also saving $12k/yr in no load mutual funds, plus a 401k, and I am covered by the US gov old retirement system called CSRS. I retired at age 55 with a generous annunity and no debt.

This all started from the early decision to save automatically, add to that amount when possible, and avoid debt when possible.
I also retired at 55 with no debt. I find that I can live within my CSRS annuity, tithe and give generous gifts to son and DIL. My conservative investments are estimated to bring in another $20K per year which I could tap into for car replacement or whatever. However I am not going to pay the price of a bag of coffee for a single cup (even if it is a tall cup).

My Dad passed when I was 13 and my Mom raised me on a meager schoolmarm's salary. I volunteered for the draft to get a two year hitch in the Army and got an engineering degree on the GI Bill. After that it was just good planning, not good fortune.

A place to buy used stuff cheaply:

Every spring after school closes, a college near here has a rummage sale.
They fill up a gymnasium with things the students leave behind:
clothing
sports equipment
paper-pencils-pens-books-binders
dishes-pots-microwave ovens
tons of books
furniture
bicycles
televisions-printers-computer cables-computers(caveat emptor!)

I suppose other colleges also do this.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.