Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I picked up a Savage Arms 30-30 Model 170 Series B pump action rifle from a friend last night. The price is $100.

The gun has not been fired in at least four years, possibly longer. From what I can see it looks OK to me. The pump slides nice and smoothly. There is very very slight rusting on the barrel, nothing major at all IMO. You can not even notice it from a few feet away. The wood stock/pump are a bit beat up also.

I would like to clean/oil the gun, but I have no experience with taking one apart. I have some CLP breakfree that I bought for my Ruger 10/22. (I have fired about 1k rounds through the 10/22 and have not cleaned it yet either)

I would like to try to get it to the outdoor range next weekend hopefully.

Any thoughts on what I should do? Take it to a gun shop? Advice on disassembling/cleaning the rifle? Any particular ammo I should purchase?

I will try to get some pictures of it up later. I am pretty excited as this is my second firearm purchase and I figured for a $100 it wasn't a bad deal. Any thoughts on the price??

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Great price IMO!
The wood can easlily be sanded and restained which will greatly improve the look and value.

The rust can be removed by putting some oil on a piece of 0000 steel wool and gently rubbing the rusted area.

I have never taken that model apart so I am hesitant to tell you how. Most guns I just kind of figure it out as I go.

If I were to take a guess I would say that there is some type of screw on the end of the magazine cap that you can remove so you can slide the pump off. The receivermay need to come aprt first to free up the pump though.

The barrel is probably fixed (either pressed or threaded)

The pins holding the trigger guard assembly probably need to come out so the bolt can be removed for cleaning. The buttstock may even need to come off. But without the gun in front of me who knows.

I would try google and look for break down/ disaasembly directions for that model. Even youtube may have something.

Great Gun!

·
BulletMaster
1,387 Posts
I've got one just like it nice rifle shoots great before the shell extractor broke,not a rifle you want to take apart yourself. I would advise you to take it to a qualified gunsmith and let him tear it down and give the action a good cleaning. If you need any parts most of them are available here for that rifle.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/products_new.asp?CatID=4411

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I have taken it to the range twice now. The first time I fired 20 150gr rounds and the second time I fired 17 150gr and 20 170gr rounds.

If you recall from the pictures the rifle has see through scope mounts with no scope. I was using the iron sights while at the range. The gun is shooting to the right and a bit high. In order for me to hit any where near the center of the target I have to aim at the bottom left of the cardboard backer my target is on.

The rear sight is adjustable, but has to be kept kinda high due to the scope mounts. It looks like it leans a bit to its side...could this be the problem?

What could be the cause of this inaccuracy? I imagine it can be fixed by using a scope. However, I would like to know that my irons are accurate in case I ever need to use them.

I plan on taking the gun to a smith for evaluation. I will have the gunsmith remove the scope mounts and give it a good cleaning. I am eager to learn what the problem is.

I will update once I find out.

Thanks again all!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That must be it Res. I noticed in all the pictures I came across the rear sight looks just like the one you linked.

Do I need a smith to install something like that? I can take a picture of the rear sight that is currently on the gun for a better idea of what it looks like.

·
BulletMaster
1,387 Posts
Not usually,on rare occasions you might need a smith to do a little file to fit work on the dovetail where it slips onto the barrel but I dough it will give you any trouble,most will go right in with no problems.

Just use a short piece of wooden dowel or brass punch to drift the wrong one out and the new one back in it's place. If your going to be taking it to the smith anyways for a cleaning just give him the sight and let him do it for you,you might want to have him look it over and see if there are any worn parts that might need replacing and get them all on one order.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts