Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I came across a great deal on 350 Legend Ammo (around $13 a box of 20 after tax) at my local Wally World. Then I found bullets and Lee dies. (The dies were only $32, which is pretty good for these days.) I had considered selling them as a package at the next gun show but then my LSG put one on clearance for only $377.

I have its twin in .223 and really like it and the Bushnell scope that came with it. This had the same scope and a threaded barrel as well. So, here I am.
Finally got it out to the range today.

I had read that a few other owners had found an issue with the magazine having to be reseated after every shot. Of course, I got one with the issue. :(

I had noticed that the magazine looked identical to the .223 mags of which I had picked up a couple of extras. It seemed to fit and feed fine so I took one along to the range to see if it would work. If fact it worked perfectly, better than the magazine that came with it.

After I got home I contacted Savage. They said that they were aware of the issue and they were having new magazines being produced. He hoped that they would be available in a couple of weeks. I suggested they just send me a .223 magazine instead but he said they didn't have any of them in stock as well. (He told me subsequently that they had no magazines at all.)

It was my second time that I called Savage this week. Earlier I had picked up a VG6 Gamma 9MM muzzle brake. VG6 advertised that it was also the correct one for the .350 Legend.
Silly me, I didn't measure the thread size and pitch. (Not a big deal as I had a 9mm carbine that it fit.)
I tried to look up the size but it was not in the manual and I didn't see it on any of the sites that were selling the same rifle.
Even the Savage site did not have it listed.

I called Savage and the young lady I spoke with assured me that she could get it for me. She was gone for a pretty long time and when she came back she said that she could not find it either. However, she got a hold of the technical department and they finally found it on a chart. (5/8"x24)

I have not yet located a suitable brake (at least one that I could afford) but, as it turns out, I really didn't need it. The rifle is a very soft shooter.
After I got the scope dialed in I am finding it has very good accuracy, at least for the intended mission of Ohio deer season.

I have some brass to play with now so I will attempt reloading it soon. (Hopefully)

Now on a quest to find more brass or another cheap shipment from WalMart.
I want to see if I can make a gallery load using 9mm bullets as well. (both are .355)

·
Registered
791 Posts
I used a 350 bolt gun all winter for beaver and muskrat with FMJ ammo. Took up to a 40 pound beaver with it, and they are tough animals. Never got the chance with deer, but reports from midwestern hunters are that 350 puts the whack on 'em within 200 yards.

·
10,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I made it to the outdoor range finally. It was 80 degrees with a pretty good wind blowing right to left. The wind had very little effect. We were shooting at about 50 yards at target clays on the back stop. The 350 was blowing softball size holes in the dirt. Next adventure will be reloading now that I have enough brass to play with.

·
10,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good new and bad news.
The bad first. The once fired Winchester brass is a pain to work with. The primer pockets are pretty loose and some of the primers blew out. (I was not using a heavy load at all. Right in the middle of the chart. Using Lil Gun. I will try sealing the primers. perhaps that will help.
The good news?
Super accurate and very moderate recoil.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I started fooling around with a light load with cast bullets in 350. A 180 grain tumble lubed Accurate 36-180L sized to 357 was as accurate as factory FMJ with 7 grains of Unique at 25 yards. I have more fooling around to do and will try slightly deeper seating to improve feeding, and I am going to try charges of 6.5 to 7.5 grains of unique with bullets sized to 356 and 357.

·
10,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I started fooling around with a light load with cast bullets in 350. A 180 grain tumble lubed Accurate 36-180L sized to 357 was as accurate as factory FMJ with 7 grains of Unique at 25 yards. I have more fooling around to do and will try slightly deeper seating to improve feeding, and I am going to try charges of 6.5 to 7.5 grains of unique with bullets sized to 356 and 357.
I am using once fired Winchester brass and I found that I had to use Winchester primers as they are a tad fatter. Testing them out tomorrow.
Also switching to H110 from the Lil Gun.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I am using once fired Winchester brass and I found that I had to use Winchester primers as they are a tad fatter. Testing them out tomorrow.
Also switching to H110 from the Lil Gun.
I started with new Win brass and Rem primers. My loads were low pressure as well. No primer issues yet.

I am not crazy about Lil Gun or H110 for full power loads as both can be particular about load density. If I feel the need to load up some full bore rounds, I may use 2400. There is data in the latest Hornady manual and it is a lot more forgiving as you approach max.

·
10,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bingo, switched to Winchester primers and H110 and found a great load. I also tightened up the full size case die just a smidge and everything ran great.
One of my sons, the one that hunts the most, has now fallen in love with this rifle. Hopefully he will being me some venison in the fall with it.
Everyone that shoots this rifle is really impressed, so far.
I am giving it five stars with the .223 magazines, 3 with the original magazine. Hopefully they will get the updated ones in stock soon.

·
10,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

I picked up a Trident brake off Ebay. The treads on the brake were not deep enough for the threads on the barrel so I had to shim it .025. (the compression washer had no room to compress)
I haven't shot it yet, but will try to update next week.
At least it looks cool :)

·
10,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, the Trident brake smoothed it down a bit but nothing to write home about. I did notice that it dropped the point of aim about a thumb width at 25 yards. I haven't had a chance to get to the outdoor range as it has been raining and snowing (yes, snowing) almost every day.
The regular Winchester small rifle primers are still working fine but I tried the Winchester #41 (similar to the CCI version) which are harder to prevent slamfires in AR15s.
One blew out and one failed to fire. They don't seem to be a tight as the regular Winchester small rifle primers. Those are still working great.

I am satisfied with the current loads so it will probably mothball until it is time to tune up for deer-gun season in the fall.
Anyone interested in my load data can send a PM, I don't normally 'publish' reload data.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts