Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking everywhere for a .223 bolt action lately. I want to be able to use up what I have stored in the event that we will not have AR's or Mini-14's available anymore. (God Forbid!)

I have found a few CZ's (or should I say Colts :( ) but they are priced way out of my current situation.

I have owned Savage Axis II's before and have found them to be more than adequate for my needs and abilities. So when I found one in .223 Rem for $379 I jumped on it.
Yes, I know they were probably $100 less a few years ago, but I didn't find any then either.
My LGS just got quite a few of them in and, with the sale price, I felt it would be a good investment. (Like I say, time will tell.)

This model, (22133) has a 22", crowned Heavy Barrel. The scope, is a Bushnell Sharpshooter. Not the worlds best scope, I'm sure but so far it is very consistent and, while not a Vortex or Nikon, pretty darn sharp and clear. Way better than others I have gotten in the past from other Axis rifles. This model has the adjustable Objective for ranging. It also seems to work well.

I have only gotten it out to 25 yards so far but at that distance I can group a dime, even with cheap steel, like Tula.

The "4 round" magazine seems to work fine with 5+1.

I will probably put a Vortex on it but will see how it works at 100 next before changing.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have that lives in my Ranger. It’s a great gun that can kill a coyote at 200 yards and stay in a sxs all the time. If it ever started to rust just hit it with some flat black spray paint. Mine shoots sub 1” at 100 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
10,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would have liked a Ruger but this was in my budget and I have had other Savages in the past with good success.

·
Registered
12,324 Posts
Nothing wrong with the budget model Savage rifles. If you want the extra stuff, you pay more, but the part that matters is perfectly good at doing what a rifle is supposed to do.

About that CZ/Colt thing..

THEY ARE CZ's.

At least...Until they start letting the bean counters and Colt management continue screwing things up. Reports say they intend to keep Colt management in place.

Idiots. They are the ones that failed last time.

·
10,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Third day at the range. I got steel to work for about 10 rounds or so, then they seized up in the chamber again (after they fired) I will polish the chamber a bit more, I guess.
I can still use brass or Nickle cases after the steel starts to mess up.

Meanwhile I found a very nice reload combination using .223 brass, IMR 3031 (middle of the chart) with 55 gr Nosler JHP's.

I'm still on the fence about the scope. It's not bad but out of doors will settle the matter. Maybe next week if the weather holds.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I bought a very similar .223 Savage a while back with a left-hand action. Posted it on the board with the title "Leftists buying guns in California". Got quite a few looks.

·
10,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a .300 blackout Ruger American and it takes standard AR-15 magazines.

·
10,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I finally got the .223 out past 25 yards. Only 50 yards but hope to get further soon. I can't believe how impressed I still am with the Bushnell scope that came with it. I sighted it in at 25 yards, move out to 50 and changed the front adjustment to 50 yards and it was spot on. One of my grandsons was along, shooting for the third time in his life. He ran a bunch of .22 in my Ruger American and then switched to the .223 without a hitch. He was hitting quarter size pieces of target clay with the .223 without a problem. Hopefully hundred yards in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I have an older Savage Varmint bolt action rifle in 223 with a heavy barrel. It has a different bolt, a big one. I'm not sure what its called. I have not messed with it enough to even know if its a good shooter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts