Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
Yeah I am looking at this one. When I saw the .17 out there the first thing I thought was that they should make it in .22mag.

The .17 has been shown to be exceptionally accurate. I hope that the .22mag version keeps this up. With a 10 round rotary magazine, you get quite a few shots off and then reloading would be quick enough with a few spares.

The other thing I like is that it is full size rifle with a full size barrel. I am sure they were tempted to make it with a 16" barrel + flash hider but this route will get you the most out of the .22mag round.

Looking forward to getting my hands on one of these and using up some of this hoarded ammo.

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
It's a great small/small-medium round where the average shot you are going to take is 75-150 yards. Not as good as LR within 50 yards on smaller game unless you use heavier/slower/FMJ rounds due to how much more damage it can do.

Louder in shorter barrels unless you have the rounds with powder optimized for shorter barrels. Harder to find the rounds nowadays than LR for the most part but you can find bulk deals here and there if you jump on purchases when they are available.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like 22WMR but the problem is it's so hard to find around here, when you find any you better buy it all because it's going to be a while before your going to find more.

I go through enough in a bolt gun, hate to have to supply a hard round to find in a semi auto.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Savage A17 and 22 mag

I bought my son a Savage A17 for Christmas. Everytime the bolt cycles, the mag falls out. If you hold the mag in, I lock up. I then got him a Savage bolt action 93 in 22 mag. Its ok but cycling the bolt. It does not want to pick up a full mag (5rn and 10rnd) if only 2 or 3 in the mag you can rack the bolt.

Savage is sending me an a17 mag after a month of tag emailing. I am please with the 22 mag bolt, but not so sure of the A17. A17 has issues from reading on the net.

We shall see

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
I got a chance to hold one of the A22's at the LGS.

Pros:
1) Light, and I mean really "feels" light and balanced
2) Low price for what it is

Cons:
1) Stock is garbage, although it is 'free floated' the front forearm was already drifting to the right enough to where it was almost touching the barrel
2) Magazines are not well finished, there were plastic molding feathers on it, not sure if it effects function but they felt cheap
3) No irons or provisions for irons (mileage may vary on this one for some folks)

I was pretty excited to hold one as it was an obvious get for people like me who like the .22 mag round but after holding it, I am going to pass. Put an Accustock on it and increase the quality of the magazines and it is an easy sell.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts