Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for an economical rifle for handling game in the PNW. I recently came across the Savage 110, and thought the price was nice and the scope met my entry level needs. Do you have any thoughts on it?

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Can you be more specific? the 110 comes in 30-06, 270, 223, 300wm, and probably a few more.

i would think the 30-06, 270 or 300 would be ideal though.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I have been looking for an economical rifle for handling game in the PNW. I recently came across the Savage 110, and thought the price was nice and the scope met my entry level needs. Do you have any thoughts on it?

Buy the gun get a different scope and remove and properly remount the bases rings and scope.

·
Registered
647 Posts
They are mighty good rifles, I owned one in 270 for years. You might also want to look at the Mossberg ATR 100 , its also an entry level rifle , around $300 at walmart. The only gripe I ever had on my 110 was that it would fire three accurate shots , and then sling the fourth and fifth in each group. I always assumed it was because of the thin tapered barrell . The Mossberg has a heavier barrell and its just as accurate as the Savage was, but with all five shots in a group .

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have also had one in .270 for years. I took the simmons scope that came with it off and replaced with a Nikon prostaff 3X9X40. Mine is pre accutrigger, but still shoots great. Hope to take a deer with it tomorrow!

Tbull:cool:

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
Buy the gun get a different scope and remove and properly remount the bases rings and scope.
That's exactly what I did. I bought the Savage 111FC package with scope.
I took off the Simmons scope and mounted a larger one with new rings.
The Savage is the best economical bolt action out there. The thing has been a nail driver for me; 1 cm groups at 200. My only complaint is that the trigger is a freaking shrew. Savage packages don't come with the vaunted 'acutrigger' but I've shot a few and the accutrigger doesn't feel that natural anyway. Best just to tool the trigger yourself.

For the OP, if you want a quality firearm for the price, get the Savage. Stay away from any of Remington's pacakge rifles, like the 770. Those things are garbage, and when you get more experience shooting you'l regret it.
Good luck.:thumb:

(Edit) Just read you answer for caliber. If you want .300 Win it's a very good idea to get a new scope and rings. The included scope won't hold out long.

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
You won't regret getting the Savage. I bought the 11FP in .308, and it shoots as well as some of my custom-built Mausers. With $1000 dollar barrells....... The barrell nut is an eyesore, that's about my only gripe.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
I had a Savage 111 CFX package gun. Even with the thin barrel it had it shot .5" 5 SHOT Groups with match ammo and .75" with commercial. The accutrigger is wonderful once you get used to it. (not hard).

Rifleman 336

1 - 11 of 11 Posts