Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
I had Savage build me a Left Hand 110 Scout Rifle.
They used a 110 Tactical receiver for the base.

Still haven't shot it yet.

·
reluctant sinner
16,875 Posts
I'm not really a Savage person. Back in the 70's my buddy made a mistake and loaded 30-06 with a full case of H-4895 not H-4831. The 110E digested 2 of them without failure. The bullets were 140gr. cast 6.5mm swaged out to 30 cal with a 270 gas check making them a short boattail.

The rifle always shot ok but never as good a the 700BDL in 308, or the 722 in 222 Rem

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
A few years ago, I picked up the savage 23 serious. I really like the 25-20. Also picked up a savage 19 bull barrel which had been cut, better stock and Redfield Jr scope mount. Great guns. Have a couple of stevens bolt rifles(same as savage) they shoot rather well. Savage guns are not "pretty" but they shoot well. I would rather shoot a gun the hits the target than carry one that looks good.

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
I have a Savage 10 fcp-sr, 10 rnd mag, bipod, 20 moa scope base, 6x20x50 scope, 24 inch fluted heavy barrel and 308 win. The 24 inch was discontinued a while back. I have very few rounds through it. I went to the range yesterday (800 yards), and using off the shelf Federal 150gr, it shoots like a laser! I have other rifles, but this one is a real shooter!

I never see much mention about the Savage 10 series rifles, here on SB. Were / are they just unpopular?
I run two of these and two of the longer 110 actions. One is a swap-barrel for most of the autocarbine cartridges. The swap bolt feature makes this simple. The other is a 6mm, and quite accurate with factory fodder. That one stays barreled as is, though there's a .308 barrel fitted to it that stays in storage.

Plain-jane? Yep. Accurate? Yep. What more is needed?

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
Well since I posted it on just about every other board I'm on. Here it is:

This last Thursday I mounted the scope on it, took it over to the local Hardware Store that doubles as a Gun Shop and had them laser bore sight it. Thursday afternoon I sighted it in at 25yds using 165gr Lake City bulk 308 FMJ.

I was having an issue with with AccuTrigger - hence the odd 3, 2, 3, 2 groupings. Seems you need to be square on the trigger bar. Coming from the side / angle, will cause the sear to release with an audible click. Found that out after reading the manual again / more closely.

Friday, I took it over to the local DNR unsupervised outdoor range and confirmed my zero at 100yds. The range was busy and I didn't stick around to grab my target.

Yesterday / Saturday afternoon - shot this button buck at around 150yds with a 165gr Federal Premium bonded.

Went out this afternoon, no luck. One of the land owners gave a kid (20 something) permission to hunt in here. I came out to my usual spot only to find his truck parked about 50yds away to my left. I went and hunted a different spot. Hoping to put down 2 more Doe.

·
feeling my age
209 Posts
i have a model 111FL in 25.06...it is a tack driver and has killed many deer. years ago, when i finally began reloading for this rifle the groups REALLY shrunk. i also have a model 110 savage in .243 Winchester that i provide to new hunters. it has killed 10 times as many as my 111FL! (we cater to new and shooters on our place) these are the only centerfire rifles i have for deer and the like. they are amazing rifles....$350 with a scope (a few years back) functional, efficient and accurate.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Cause everyone is knee deep into skeletonized tactical stocks, mechanical cheekpads/LOP, rails, etc.

Instead of a classic heavy barreled action delivering more inherent accuracy than most shooters can even use.

That's a hell of a capable rifle. I let my last one go a few years back and have regretted it ever since. Savage Model 10s are sleepers... outshooting plenty of guns costing a lot more.
Savage makes their rifles in tactical and even chassis versions. They are often used by LR shooters, and you can also buy chassis made for them. They like that you can change the barrel easy. But anything Remington 700 compatible kind of has an advantage with the ELR crowd because everything fits it.

I like a few savage guns. But for the money I’m not sure they are the way to go. Bergera is less money so is howa. And tikka is about the same and for sure a better gun. . And to get a really good savage , with a nice stock , better barrel etc you run up against saeur and steyr and even some great ruger rifles.

my only really savage only love affair is with the box fed 99s in 243 win.

·
Registered
725 Posts
We got our start in competitive FTR class w/ a Savage 10 based rifle. Out of the box with a good handload, they shoot very well for certain distances.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts