Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Swift Justice = 2950fps
10,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Savage 10 fcp-sr, 10 rnd mag, bipod, 20 moa scope base, 6x20x50 scope, 24 inch fluted heavy barrel and 308 win. The 24 inch was discontinued a while back. I have very few rounds through it. I went to the range yesterday (800 yards), and using off the shelf Federal 150gr, it shoots like a laser! I have other rifles, but this one is a real shooter!

I never see much mention about the Savage 10 series rifles, here on SB. Were / are they just unpopular?

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,192 Posts
The tacticool ninjas wouldn't be caught dead with such an in-expensive plain-jane rifle from a common manufacturer. I has to the name plate from some exotic manufacturer to give your creds a boost.

In the real world they are a very much under rated bargain.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I have one just like yours and a shorter 20" 10FP and they are increasingly becoming my favourite rifles. I shot the 10FCP-SR successfully out to 1000 yards at a military range (took quite a while to figure it out and the regulation targets were huge) but it's certainly a great platform to get into long distance shooting. I got really busy last summer and this year the pandemic closed down the DND ranges this year but I hope to get back to it.

I would highly recommend installing a muzzle break. During some courses of fire it was challenging to get it back on target in time for my second shot for timed exposures.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Cause everyone is knee deep into skeletonized tactical stocks, mechanical cheekpads/LOP, rails, etc.

Instead of a classic heavy barreled action delivering more inherent accuracy than most shooters can even use.

That's a hell of a capable rifle. I let my last one go a few years back and have regretted it ever since. Savage Model 10s are sleepers... outshooting plenty of guns costing a lot more.

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts
I have a couple 10/110 Scout Bolt 338 Federals that use the Magpul AICS-style detachable box magazines

I like them very much

The model 10 is a fantastic gun for the money
Very accurate

·
Pusher of brooms
526 Posts
Cause everyone only needs an AR or AK and bolt guns are only used by Fudds?

Actually had a 10FP for a short while, good gun, accurate just not a Mauser.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,147 Posts
I have the exact rifle in Marine digital. It's wonderful.

My only complaint is that Savage should have made these to accept common readily available mags like the HK or FAL mags. Even if Savage made 10 rds mags, they could have made it to accept common mags. Really annoying. Really really annoying.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I have the exact rifle in Marine digital. It's wonderful.

My only complaint is that Savage should have made these to accept common readily available mags like the HK or FAL mags. Even if Savage made 10 rds mags, they could have made it to accept common mags. Really annoying. Really really annoying.
Agreed. They finally did change the mags to match the other bolt actions out there about a year or two ago (Remington, Ruger, etc.).

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,298 Posts
THE SAVAGE 10 is the later day 788 Remington.

The 788, their "cheap, K-mart rifle"
everyone I ever had or shot would outshoot the top end Remmytin 700s all day long. They were amazingly accurate.
I would find them cheap, the only thing I would do is test fire and maybe tweak it by free floating the bbl,
but everyone I ever tried would shoot under an inch when I was done fiddling around with it.

I bought one in .223 on close out for $150... and with a big Leupold scope on it so you could see it would shoot one holers all day long regardless of ammo.

My Savage 10, the only thing I did was change the trigger. Then mounted a Shepherd scope on it. DANG it would shoot.
MY Savage 10 in .308 was carried as my trunk gun everywhere, then I let a good friend shoot it at the 1000 yd range. He HAD to have it.
Since the guy was also my dentist...
some things ya just gotta think long term about.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Picked up a Weather Warrior in .270 with the factory on/off muzzle brake back in the 90's.
A gun snob co-worker at the time says "I would never buy a gun with a plastic follower".
I said "Really? That's the reason why you won't buy a notoriously accurate and reliable rifle?"
He just rolled his eyes and walked away. I am yet to hear about a Savage rifle that had problems or was not accurate. Mine turned out to be a very inexpensive and extremely accurate rifle that is still completely factory.

·
Swift Justice = 2950fps
10,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have one just like yours and a shorter 20" 10FP and they are increasingly becoming my favourite rifles.
How is the accuracy of the 20” compared the the 24” model? Any difference?

I would highly recommend installing a muzzle break. During some courses of fire it was challenging to get it back on target in time for my second shot for timed exposures.
On EVERY rifle I acquire, before firing the first round, I thread the barrel and install a brake. The “SR” saved me the effort of threading.:D:

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
How is the accuracy of the 20” compared the the 24” model? Any difference?

On EVERY rifle I acquire, before firing the first round, I thread the barrel and install a brake. The “SR” saved me the effort of threading.:D:
Though I have fired both rifles carefully from a rest on a few occasions, and used the SR out to 1000 yards, I haven't really had a chance to test their limits. Aside from a few reloads for the shorter rifle (a starting load from the Lee manual), I have mostly fired Federal American Eagle FMJs out of both of them, which seems to group around two inches in most rifles that I fire them from.

The carbine was purchased used, though I cleaned the fouling out carefully with KG9 under the guidance of a good tutor. I broke in the SR with 75 rounds of FMJ, following the advise posted on the Savage website.

I can say that the short rifle shoots well in my hands, and that I can consistently hit my 6" gong at 200 yards. My latest targets suggest that I can get 1.5 MOA with American Eagle, and probably tighten those groups with better ammo and more practice. I only had the SR out once since I installed the muzzle break and as it was the first time out to the range since the pandemic began, I don't feel qualified to comment much about it. My groupings were worst than on the short rifle, but I had enough shots that were close enough to each other to suggest that the fliers reflected my time away from the range.

Hopefully winter will provide some time to load some cartridges that I can test next spring. I feel comfortable using the 10FP right now at 200 yards and wouldn't be surprised if I could eventually use it effectively out to 500 yards on a military range. The SR has already proven it's effectiveness at longer range and will remain the rifle of choice for that use, but I have still have some work to do before I can provide a legitimate assessment.

I am not knocking anyone who might invest in a more expensive rifle, but I am confident that I can learn a great deal on these two rifles and will try to invest more time into shooting them. Praying that the pandemic nuttiness will end and that I will be able to get back to the military ranges next summer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a savage 10t in 308, I reload Sierra tipped match kings for it. 175 grains with some varget powder. It shoots one ragged hole at 100. So far I shot an 8” group at 410 yards with it.
Very accurate guns. I put a stainless steel atrs scope rail on mine. Otherwise it’s bone stock.
Hand loading really improved my accuracy I found.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
People are impressed with money! When I say I have a stevens 325 in 30-30, people look at me like I have a three legged stray dog. the fact that is shoots great and 30-30 handloads easy and is good for anything in the state is a non issue. When people ask if I have a pistol, I admit that I have a Ruger 45 long colt. I get the oh and they move on. If I stop and point out that it is a 454 Ruger super redhawk they stop and want to touch it. No one wants to shoot it twice. So I point out that I have a 45 long colt. Most don't know that there is no such thing as a long colt. Sometimes you just have to let people dwell in their own ignorance and enjoy shooting what you have. God forbid I pull out an arisaka carbine in 6.5 X 55 sweed

·
Registered
346 Posts
It's not about the cost and look, it's about the performance. I could buy the most expensive target rifle out there and would lose every single time to a practiced shooter on a "cheap" Savage.

They may not be the fanciest or a gun that gets you bragging rights, but they were (maybe still are, haven't followed up on them in some time) one of the best bangs for the buck period.

When the SHTF, no one is going to care how fancy your gun is.

·
My Hero Was Derion Albert
2,051 Posts
had a savage 110g in 7 mag from the 80's. The pencil thin barrel would whip around and not group for anything after 2 shots. I traded it for an SKS. Kind of turned me off to the savage bolt platform

1 - 20 of 32 Posts