Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
LEGAL citizen
15,269 Posts
Only if you're brainwashed into needing multiple channels of video + gaming.

Being a bit more mature (at 74 years of age), Hughes is quite adequate for my needs.

I'm an IT professional, it was a necessity...

Regardless of the usage, those companies are raking their customers over the coals. They may fit your minimum needs, but trust me, the cost is inflated. Any other industry and they would be brought up on price gouging charges.

·
Militant Normal
10,410 Posts
Um. I now pay $64 a month for my Hughes, up from $49 after I let them switch me to the Gen5 satellite, which will support streaming video, (that I almost never use). Less than my typical AT&T landline, after all the taxes and fees are added in. I bought my dish and modem outright in 2009, I think it was $299 back then. What are people paying for cable Internet? Or cell-tower wireless?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
39/mo for 1000/100mbps fiber

13,90/mo 4G internet for my phone (calls and texts on top of that, usually around 25/mo). 20/10mbps speed limited but unlimited megabytes to download.

It's an old contract and I actually have 4 sim cards with same properties for one monthly fee. I have the extra sim cards in different laptops, no need to tether my phone. The downside is I cannot up- nor downgrade my phone contract at all, the extra 3 sim cards stop working of I do that (operator officially killed that type of multi sim service several years ago).

·
Militant Normal
10,410 Posts
I asked a young punk who does sloppy yard work around here what his phone was. He said "Obamaphone". Is that what you've got? Doesn't seem consistent with my daughter in NJ who says she's paying $100 per month per phone for her iPhones.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
iPhone 8 64GB here. I paid 499 for it during last years Black Friday, no strings attached.

I should have added "*phone not included" :) My contract is with the operator and it includes only telephone service.

I buy my phones separately from whatever shop and brand I choose, also phone's make or model does not affect any way what my service costs.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Like I typed before it is 13,90 for the internet part of the phone bill. Calling and texting (in my contract) come on top that and after all the fees it is roughly 25/mo total.

I rarely call anybody, people call me. I don't text that much either, I rather use email or instant messengers that are totally free to use.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I would never use sat internet again. Horrible latency and expensive.
That's the problem with satellite anything: the Clarke Belt is 35,786 km up, 35,786 km down, and then the answering packet has to do the same thing.

That's a 143,144 km (~88,946 miles) round-trip for

every

single

packet

and

response.

Let's see: the speed of light is 299,792,458 meters/sec. So, divide the speed by the mileage: we get ~2.1 seconds round-trip-time, assuming zero parallax - and an instantaneous reply.

So, satellites are "OK" for long video transmissions from foreign lands, but NOT for back-and-forth Q&A between anchor desks and remote locations (they have to be prerecorded, and then the long pauses edited out at the network center).

Which is why satellites suck for any interactive Internet traffic. I know this because I once took a job doing "remote maintenance" of PC's, which meant that I had to ask each customer if they had a satellite Internet connection, because the long lag times would drive the process insane: move the mouse, wait two seconds, watch the cursor start to follow you, etc.

If I were in a situation where satellites were the only choice, I'd tell NetFlix to put the CD's in the mail like I used to get them.

William Warren

·
Militant Normal
10,410 Posts
As I keep saying - if you want gamer-grade broadband, quit badmouthing satellite and GO LIVE WHERE YOU CAN GET IT. Please. We don't want anymore of your whining. (That's one big reason we choose to live where we do.)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts