Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the correct forum. I also posted in Solar Energy forum.

I found a TV satellite dish antenna and experimented with it by gluing 1/4" square glass mirrors over the entire surface. I used marine epoxy adhesive. Not every square sat nice and flat so I had to polish the surfaces otherwise the reflected light looked more like a disco ball's pattern. When I was finished I had a very concentrated point of reflected light at 15" from the dish's center. That light heats a litre of fresh water enough to generate no-pressure steam in a lab flask with rubber stopper. The vapour condenses in a short distillery tube inserted into the stopper on one end and drips into a collection jar on the other end. The next step is to mix up a strong saline solution and generate clean water from that. It's raining here for the next few days.

Hope this info is useful.
Oh, I bought the mirrors on eBay in bags of 500 for $8 +shipping. It required about 2,000 tiles to cover the dish surface.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
How much did the glue cost? Epoxy cures at different rates, depending on the formulation. How did you go about glueing the individual tiles on?

Will this be a cooking aid, or are you going to use if for distillery? How are you planning on changing the angle of the unit as the seasons change?

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,718 Posts
Way too much work. Gluing on little mirrors and ensuring they all get aimed properly at the focal point would take forever to do it right.

A roll of mirror tape is under $20 and you can be done in 20 minutes.

Here is the instruction on doing it right.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.