Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12
20,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of the most disturbing passages in all the Bible. There is little in the way of exposition; it is just stated and moved on but it still haunts me.
There the nation’s leaders, the chief priests, and the teachers of the Law of Moses will make me suffer terribly. I will be killed, but three days later I will rise to life.”

22 Peter took Jesus aside and told him to stop talking like that. He said, “God would never let this happen to you, Lord!”

23 Jesus turned to Peter and said, “Satan, get away from me! You’re in my way because you think like everyone else and not like God.”
Matthew 16:21-23 (CEV)

So, Saint Peter, the man with the keys to heaven was taken over by Satan to tempt Jesus to side step his entire mission on Earth? Saint Peter! If he who walked with Jesus in the flesh, succumbed to the temptation of Satan, the only man to walk on water (given that Jesus is God), to undermine the very mission of Jesus how in the world could regular believers resist just evil power?

The Bible does not explain how Satan took over Peter or how or when he left him. Again, we are talking about Satan himself. There are many instances of Jesus and the Apostles casting out demons but this is the king of hell, right? How do you explain the lack of detail on this most disturbing passage? (I'll be disappointed if anyone falls back to figurative metaphors). :taped:

·
Super Moderator
14,453 Posts
I don't think that Satan literally took over Saint Peter. It was Jesus way of telling him that his desires of Jesus unwittingly supported Satan's plans.

·
20,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think that Satan literally took over Saint Peter. It was Jesus way of telling him that his desires of Jesus unwittingly supported Satan's plans.
Why do you think that? If you are right, my take is two-fold:
  1. Jesus was scared or obviously tempted for at no other times does he react so strongly.
  2. Jesus issued a singular insult to the saint who only seemed to want the Messiah spared from a horribly brutal death.

Because neither of these seem like Jesus, the grace-filled compassionate Great Redeemer, is why I think Jesus was speaking literally. I don't think the implications of it being figurative (2 points above) can be just dismissed as 'Jesus way of telling him.' So, I'm interested in why you think that, what Biblical cross referencing verses support that view, etc.

·
Super Moderator
14,453 Posts
Why do you think that? If you are right, my take is two-fold:
  1. Jesus was scared or obviously tempted for at no other times does he react so strongly.
  2. Jesus issued a singular insult to the saint who only seemed to want the Messiah spared from a horribly brutal death.

Because neither of these seem like Jesus, the grace-filled compassionate Great Redeemer, is why I think Jesus was speaking literally. I don't think the implications of it being figurative (2 points above) can be just dismissed as 'Jesus way of telling him.' So, I'm interested in why you think that, what Biblical cross referencing verses support that view, etc.
My reason is for the simple fact that it isnt brought up again. If Saint Peter had been possessed by the devil dont you think it would be mentioned again, somewhere?

Reactions: bunny

·
20,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My reason is for the simple fact that it isnt brought up again. If Saint Peter had been possessed by the devil dont you think it would be mentioned again, somewhere?
Yes, I do. However, as I wrote in the thread about Psalms, the Bible is not always worded in a way that most appeals to me. :D:

For instance, the current Pope said Jesus probably had to apologize to his parents for not accompanying the caravan when they found him at the temple. It's not in the Bible but like your supposition above, it seems to make sense. Yet, some were outraged.

·
Registered
33,184 Posts
It is clear that Satan had influenced Peter's thinking and Jesus knew it. Other scriptures clearly reveal that Satan can influence our thinking and our actions even though he cannot possess a Christian (in my opinion). No way, we are God's property even in failures and stumbles.

Read (Acts 5) But a man named Ananias, with his wife Sapphira, sold a piece of
property, and kept back some of the price for himself, with his wife’s full knowledge, and bringing a portion of it, he laid it at the apostles’ feet. But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back some of the price of the land?

"I believe" we open ourselves up to satanic influences when we aren't walking closely to the Lord and His word.

Anger, sexual sins, religious pride and others are the very finger prints of satan when we walk away from Godly influences. Remember even Jesus was tempted by satan. Jesus rebuked him with God's word which is our defense against evil.

Here is Ground Zero: (James 4:7) Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

·
20,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, you to conclude that Jesus is insulting Peter then? That is also a hard pill to swallow, no?

But here is the even harder truth: anyone who is angry with his brother will be judged for his anger. Anyone who taunts his friend, speaks contemptuously toward him, or calls him “Loser” or “Fool” or “Scum,” will have to answer to the high court. And anyone who calls his brother a fool may find himself in the fires of hell.
Matthew 5:22 (VOICE)

·
Super Moderator
14,453 Posts
So, you to conclude that Jesus is insulting Peter then? That is also a hard pill to swallow, no?

But here is the even harder truth: anyone who is angry with his brother will be judged for his anger. Anyone who taunts his friend, speaks contemptuously toward him, or calls him “Loser” or “Fool” or “Scum,” will have to answer to the high court. And anyone who calls his brother a fool may find himself in the fires of hell.

Matthew 5:22 (VOICE)
How is he insulting him?

·
20,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How is he insulting him?
Well, calling someone a fool seems mild in comparison to calling someone Satan, no?

And I think Peters statement was motivated by love. After all, who wants to see someone they love tortured and murdered?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Mat 16:21* From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.*Mat 16:22* Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.*Mat 16:23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.
Jesus had been explaining that he was going to die for mankind’s sin and resurrect according to Matt 16:21. Then Peter says “no”. Peter was inadvertently trying to hinder Christ’s main mission, that of providing a way of forgiveness for man’s sins (the most important thing ever). Peter was thinking humanly, fearing the loss of his friend who he loved. He was not thinking spiritually. So in saying this Peter became an adversary to the main work of Jesus Christ. So Jesus had strong words for him. In calling him satan, Jesus was calling him an adversary and telling him to stop trying to hinder the work of God. Peter should have understood that Jesus would die for the sins of man and resurrect 3 days later because Jesus had just told that to him and the rest of the Disciples. So Jesus was a little harsh. Satan had not entered into Peter, but because of Peter’s immaturity, he was able to influence him.

This type of influence is mentioned by Paul in Romans 7 when Paul is talking about the struggle we have with the flesh. Satan, the Devil, uses this struggle to his advantage and to harm us and the cause of Christ.

The Bible indicates that Satan can not possess a Christian.
1Jn 4:4* Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
God the Holy Spirit indwells the Christian and is greater than the Devil/demons.

Most of the time, if not all, when Satan possesses an individual or when another demon possesses someone, the demon doesn't leave. There are only two instances in Scripture where Satan possessed someone; the serpent in Gen 3:1(inferred) and Judas in Luke 22:3.

·
20,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now wish I had made this thread a poll: metaphor or literal.

Seems like the consensus is figurative.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Satan's main goal was to dissuade Jesus from accomplishing His mission of defeating the evil one. Despite Peter's good intentions, he was attempting to do just that, thus, Jesus calls him out.

BTW, Peter does not have the keys to heaven...it was given to the Twelve and hence to the Church.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts