Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was flipping through this at the bookstore, and being a firearms enthusiast (i.e. gun nut), a page talking about firearms caught my eye. The advice given was typical liberal British BS about how guns in the hands of civilians were more likely to hurt them than protect them and guns should only be used by trained law enforcement and military personnel.

I know the SAS Survival Guide is well-respected and full of good stuff, and the SAS Urban Survival Guide is by the same author, but I'm having a hard time getting past that mentality and trusting the book because of that.

Has anyone read it? Is it worth getting?

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
I was flipping through this at the bookstore, and being a firearms enthusiast (i.e. gun nut), a page talking about firearms caught my eye. The advice given was typical liberal British BS about how guns in the hands of civilians were more likely to hurt them than protect them and guns should only be used by trained law enforcement and military personnel.
Sounds like a red flag to me. And considering the SAS do whatever their masters' bidding is....
They've been caught several times in false flag operations in the middle east, and if they were ordered to helecopter into your town and double tap you and your family while you were sleeping, they would.
Yes, yes, they're intelligent men, and maybe the act of putting a 9mm into some innocent stranger's forehead might give them some rough sleep later on, but they are also hard men, and the elite units that I trained with were of the general opinion that anyone not of their calibre was not worthy to handle a firearm.
That said, some other SAS training books are very valuable, like their book on mental toughening and psy warfare.

·
armchair commando
1,184 Posts
I have it and it was a waste of $$.
Chap. 1 Safety...common sense stuff
Chap. 2 DIY{do it yourself} and trade hazards...???
CHap. 3 Poisons....household type stuff.....again....why??
Chap. 4 fire and fire safety..more common sense stuff
Chap 5 Security...stuff like dead bolts {how to} and leaving ladders around..
CHap 7 Work and play being safe at work and home....
Chap 8 Transit...things like driving in snow, stuff you learned at 16...DUH!
Chap 9 Self defense.... maybe 2 pages of how to punch, kick, bite, headbutt. a few pages on dogs that usually attack, snakes, water creatures..more common sense stuff
Chap 10 Terrorism...more on things like type of attacks...car bomb or whatever, staying calm in a hostage situation...stuff you can read ANYWHERE
Chap 11 Disasters.....earthquake, flood, storm.....very minimal stuff on getting/cleaning water...other things like turn off your gas mains, seek proper shelter....DUH....lol
Last one on health...take care of body, eat right...blah blah
This book, the SAS Urban Survival handbook I don't think is actually a S.A.S. training book, the author, John "Lofty" Wiseman I thing just used that acronym to get the book sold...I read SAS and think "ohhh...a special forces book" hook, line and sinker...
Everything in there is all o this website and 98% is just common sense.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
I have this book and found large parts very imformative, perhaps for us hairy arsed blokes it may seem like some one trying to teach us what we already know, but for people who dont know the basics(and there are a few who know jack sh!t) this book is worth every cent spent.
Certainly if I was a woman living on my own, or a bloke who was unsure I would have it on my shelf.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Get the original. I mean the "SAS Survival Guide: How to Survive in the Wild, in any Climate, on Land, or at Sea." I have the original one in pocket size.
It's much better and more useful.

I have both and the Urban one is really common sense and not that good.

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
If you have to ask the question - then yes you need it.

As breeze07 said get the original. If it is Lofty Wiseman's book, it is a very good volume to have.

The BS about guns and the stuff warning about how dangerous some of the traps are is to make the book palatable for the Sheeple Public and Publishers and lawmakers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've had a flick through Lofty Wiseman's first book at the library, and it's more of the same, by and large. Don't get wrong, it's all good advice that is contained therein, but if it wasn't written by an ex-member of the SAS, then it wouldn't be called SAS anything. If you're looking for stuff on the SAS with a more militaristic bent, there are plenty of other books out there, but this one is designed very much with Joe Q. Public in mind and the everyday situations he may encounter, and may therefore seem a little basic or self-evident to a lot of folk on here.

As for the stuff on guns, what do you expect? We don't have the same freedom to own firearms as people in the USA (and other countries besides), unfortunately...

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
+1

I had a good look through this and "basic or self-evident" is really a good description. Take out the gun and self-defense stuff and it would make a good classroom aid for a grade 4 class.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts