Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about upgrading my B.O.V. and was wondering what would be best. I am considering a pair of dual purpose bikes for my wife and I or possibly a sand rail type vehicle. The sand rail can be made into a street legal vehicle, is light enough to drag just about anywhere and is powered by a very gas reasonable VW engine that is very easy to fix and very easy to make quiet. It probably would hold a lot more that a motorcycle and enable an offroad escape if needed.

Right now I have a Chevy 1 ton 4X4 with a 454 engine. It is a gas hog and costs about 120 dollars to fill up. While I can load everything I need to take in it, plus about 10 times more, it probably wouldn't be feasible to head out off road with it for very far as it is huge. Probably going to end up leaving it at the retreat area for a work vehicle around there.

This is what I am thinking about.

I could even go with a larger 4 seater like this

and delete the seats and use the room as extra storage for getting out of Dodge. The front areas in front of the legs can also be packed with bug out materials. Just thinking so let er rip with any comments good or bad.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I've always thought this type of vehicle made good sense for a BOV . Fast and light cheap to operate. The 4 seater looks good to me and the idea of removing the back seat to haul gear and such sounds like good thinking to me.
All in All I don't see it as a bad choice unless you think you'll be shot at in which case probably no vehicle out there for civilians is gonna work..............

·
Banned
880 Posts
buggy would be awsome BOV. even as 2wd they will drive almost anywhere. roof rack also for supplies. it'd be pretty easy to make a gun mount for the passenger too. lol

·
Banned
742 Posts
I think it makes sense, although you would draw less attention to yourself with a more conventional vehicle like a Suzuki Samurai. Of course, the Chenowth fast attack vehicle is the military analog to what you're considering.

I've toyed around with the idea and had this made. It is powered by a Suzuki 750cc motorcycle engine, weights about 600 lb., and can go 110 mph:

It would work great if you wanted to get the hell out of Dodge and you're a solo act. Not great for moving multiple people, large loads, or going long distances. But, it will definitely clear your arteries when you punch the gas.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Such a vehicle make a lot of sense!!! The VW engine is a work of engineering art and is almost impossible to kill. They are stupid easy to repair using the most basic of hand tools which every tool box should have as a pbare minimum. There are lots of stock parts for them and high proformance parts are pretty reasonably priced and widley available. The beauty of these engines is they lake so many of the things found on other vehicles such as A/C units, Radiators and all that crap. In pinch I have used a pair of panty hose wrapped around the pullys to get me down the road to a repair shop in a desolate area on a couple of occasions...try that with a ford or chevy!!! Its a vey light weight functional vehicle thats quiet the miser on gas too. They can easily be converted to run on alcohol which in a long term SHTF situation could be a real asset. A poor mans Jeep...I really like the idea and may do the same thing here one day in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have looked at these myself you can find used ones pretty cheap on ebay but I have not pulled the trigger on one cause it is hard to justify the fact that I would not use it other than a bug out..... Although once I get set with higher priority items I will pursue getting one!

·
Son Of Liberty
1,871 Posts
IMO the buggy would be a great special purpose fast attack setup but so far from an Ideal BOV. You don't get the heater , the cab though can be sealed from the cold would be a SOB, you cant sleep in the back, it really doesn't have that much ground clearance, it draws the eyes, no protection from the rain.

IMO an Ideal BOV would be a 4x4 van with a winch.

Reactions: Sandman

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Neat vehicle. I used to have a dunebuggy,not a rail. Parts were the choker.If you blow a piston or jug,forget about going to the local parts store and finding it. I saw a homemade rail rig a while back made from a Pontiac Fiero,that thing would scoot! Again,parts specific. A rig made from an old S10 might be more parts-friendly.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I made one I would use a standard VW 1800 engine. Not a hi performance version. After all, I am not going for performance, I am going for it running and getting me where I need to be. You are right, it might draw attention. Maybe a smaller truck would be better, or a little SUV.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
I've toyed around with the idea and had this made. It is powered by a Suzuki 750cc motorcycle engine, weights about 600 lb., and can go 110 mph:

It would work great if you wanted to get the hell out of Dodge and you're a solo act. Not great for moving multiple people, large loads, or going long distances. But, it will definitely clear your arteries when you punch the gas.
Action pics please!!!!

Has any one thought of the Ridge Runner buggies?
Small, light, 2 seater with a tray, 700-800cc Polaris engines, I'd love to be able to get one here.

Reactions: Sandman

·
Registered
3 Posts
track rods weld

Heard an interesting story bout when in the Gulf the first time a chenowth bent and snapped its track rod and one of the troopers from the sas welded it back toghether using the heat generated from some explosive(C4 ?) and some fiels expedient forging tools - gotta love em !!!: :):):)

Cheers Thomas :):):)

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Sand rails are great. Keep the VW engine simple. I would argue for a strait 1600 as they are a little more reliable in my opinion than the 1800's. A Baja Bug would also be good, although may there would less storage behind the driver and passenger seats.

·
The end is near.
1,376 Posts
I have been thinking about upgrading my B.O.V. and was wondering what would be best. I am considering a pair of dual purpose bikes for my wife and I or possibly a sand rail type vehicle. The sand rail can be made into a street legal vehicle, is light enough to drag just about anywhere and is powered by a very gas reasonable VW engine that is very easy to fix and very easy to make quiet. It probably would hold a lot more that a motorcycle and enable an offroad escape if needed.

Right now I have a Chevy 1 ton 4X4 with a 454 engine. It is a gas hog and costs about 120 dollars to fill up. While I can load everything I need to take in it, plus about 10 times more, it probably wouldn't be feasible to head out off road with it for very far as it is huge. Probably going to end up leaving it at the retreat area for a work vehicle around there.

This is what I am thinking about.

I could even go with a larger 4 seater like this

and delete the seats and use the room as extra storage for getting out of Dodge. The front areas in front of the legs can also be packed with bug out materials. Just thinking so let er rip with any comments good or bad.
I checked craigslist in my area and found 3 sandrails for sale, so they're not hard to find. One of them for sale is almost street legal. It just needs fenders to qualify. They ranged in price from 3K-5K, which isn't bad for a vehicle that will outperform a standard car in both power and fuel economy.

Thanks to your post I'm seriously looking at one of these for a fun commuter car for when we move out of Colorado to the more temperate Arkansas. (Can't see myself driving one in deep snow here in CO.!) I was thinking about a motorcycle at first to cut gas consumption on the commute. But I wanted to sit down, not ride. Then I looked at the motorcycle/car hybrids, which were more what I wanted. Then I saw your sandrail and it meets all my requirements for a fun commuter. These sandrails I saw were powered by motorcycle engines, one of them a Hayabusa (SP?) engine, and another a 750cc. So take-off power and fuel efficiency are already there. I would need to do a bit of work on it before I'd want to take it out on the road, but it would be worth it, I think. Add windshield, hood, detached fenders, and side panels matching the rails and viola, fun commuter!
And if I ever decide to go with an electric car I can convert the sandrail without worrying about ruining it. I can convert it back if I don't like it.

Not as comfortable as a car but more comfortable than a motorcycle. Less safe in an accident than a car but more safe than a motorcycle. And if I install a 10-20 gallon tank on it I'd have some serious range, more than with a motorcycle with its smaller tank. IMHO, the perfect balance between car and motorcycle.

Thanks for posting!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts