Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
San Fran will begin monitoring private security cameras in some circumstances.
What say you??

I don't see why the police are going to bother, frankly-- even if they DO catch and arrest someone, the criminal will be out of jail the same or next day on no-bail. :rolleyes:

·
Indefatigable
23,463 Posts
Cops in Tulsa have been accessing Ring cameras and business cameras for ages. Did this just pop up on the radar now because it was from SF?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
You all do know that the Chinese have been watching us for years, right? It's very difficult to buy security cameras from places like Amzn which don't connect to a server somewhere in China.

If you can look at your home to see what Rover is doing or who is at the door, using your cell phone or office computer, so can the Chinese.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My local PD sent me a post card asking me to enroll in their video monitoring program. I just wrote "Do you have a WARRANT?" on the post card and sent it back. They must not have because that was several weeks ago and no one has come knocking.

I have two systems in place. One is a non network based DVR with wired cameras. The second is a cloud based system with wireless cameras, but they are placed in specific locations that provide me remove viewing but do not provide the government or corporations any valuable data. I also have a number of game cameras that take video clips and save them to SDHC cards and other that upload them to a server. Same proper placement applies.

·
Old Soldier
5,611 Posts
You all do know that the Chinese have been watching us for years, right? It's very difficult to buy security cameras from places like Amzn which don't connect to a server somewhere in China.

If you can look at your home to see what Rover is doing or who is at the door, using your cell phone or office computer, so can the Chinese.
Not only cameras, but any appliance that is hooked to the internet.
TV's, microwaves, thermostats, anything.
Which is why NONE will be found in our home.
When my 1988 analog TV died, I went out to buy a new digital one. Do you know how hard it is to find a non "smart" TV?
I finally did, and it stays off most of the time anyway.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Our PD has used my shop cams several times. We are on a corner of a main arterial street leading to hundreds (maybe 1000+) of homes.

In fact I've toyed with the idea of putting a big banner up notifying the dopers and crooks they are on camera every time they use our street. But it would probably just make us a bigger target.

18,780 Posts
Ever notice that San Francisco doesn't have any businesses that sell firearms to the public?

The city had already required all firearms sales to be recorded on video, and then a new ordinance that went into effect 7 years ago, required the firearm purchaser's information to be handed over to San Francisco Police.

Welcome to San Francisco. Camera access now. A whole lot more later.

·
Registered
155 Posts
am I missing something? I read the article and it appears that its not a mandatory participation thing with business owners having to give permission to the police to monitor their systems.. So if the system owner needs to give permission then where is the attack on privacy
True, if you're silly enough to give them permission, it's your problem - but note, that their access is in real time, meaning they can access it whenever, wherever, rather than asking or issuing a warrant for footage because of a known crime taking place that the cameras might have caught

Additionally, companies like Ring have already been confirmed giving video to LEO without the owner's permission, their employees have been caught spying on customers, it has been shown that they're being accessed by unknown third parties without permission.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
True, if you're silly enough to give them permission, it's your problem - but note, that their access is in real time, meaning they can access it whenever, wherever, rather than asking or issuing a warrant for footage because of a known crime taking place that the cameras might have caught

Additionally, companies like Ring have already been confirmed giving video to LEO without the owner's permission, their employees have been caught spying on customers, it has been shown that they're being accessed by unknown third parties without permission.
ok but in this instance the LEO need to get permission from the camera system owner.. FOR NOW

·
Registered
Loaded
174 Posts
Not only cameras, but any appliance that is hooked to the internet.
TV's, microwaves, thermostats, anything.
Which is why NONE will be found in our home.
When my 1988 analog TV died, I went out to buy a new digital one. Do you know how hard it is to find a non "smart" TV?
I finally did, and it stays off most of the time anyway.
We had to get a new TV an its a smart one but we just use as a reg.tv,none of the smart features are used..

·
Registered
155 Posts
ok but in this instance the LEO need to get permission from the camera system owner.. FOR NOW
but it appears that the interpretation of this is up for debate - i and others read it as, they get your permission once...and then they have access forever, and whenever
We had to get a new TV an its a smart one but we just use as a reg.tv,none of the smart features are used..
if it has a built in camera/mic, it can still be secretly accessed - lots of stories of such incidents

1 - 20 of 44 Posts