Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Sams today through flooded streets and pouring rain (20 mi.) for out first round of real preps. Spent over 2 hours there. Filled 2 huge baskets of stuff including $150 worth of books. Back was killing me. Made it to the checkout only to find out they don't accept VISA!!!!!!!:(who knew):sleep:xeye: Only Mastercard and DISCOVER(?!?!?!?!?!?).:xeye: I was so hot to go through all of this that it has me really bummed out right now. I hope to shake it, but man , what a letdown!!!!:(:(

·
Registered
762 Posts
I thought VISA and Mastercard were the same company. Glad to know. We almost bought a Sam's membership. I carry the debit card (VISA) and hubby has the checkbook. It would almost always be me going to Sam's.

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts
I thought VISA and Mastercard were the same company. Glad to know. We almost bought a Sam's membership. I carry the debit card (VISA) and hubby has the checkbook. It would almost always be me going to Sam's.
Then you would be fine, you just choose the debit feature at checkout

·
Registered
989 Posts
I went to my local sams club prepared to join. The line at the member desk was a bit long, so I decide to stroll around a bit first with my wife. I was rather disappointed. Sure there was large sized containers, but the prices weren't that great of a savings compared to the local walmart. Even then, I thought there might be some items I couldn't find elsewhere, like bags of wheat berries...nope. I was thinking this was a preppers paradise, but no wheat berries?

I'm really not impressed by sams club at all. What am I missing?

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hate Sams, They seem to always P*ss me off some how.
I go to Costco now, and could'nt be happier.
No Costco anywhere here.:(

Don't accept visa? I've never heard of such....
They stated they have an agreement w/ Mastercard NOt to use Visa, but Wally's doesn't. (And I hate WAlly's with a passion)

They do not accept VISA credit cards. If you have a debit card with VISA on they will accept it.

This is ONLY for credit cards
Correct. I do not use my card for cash advances or even know my PIN#LOL!!:xeye:

Discover and MasterCard cut them deals with their transaction fees. VISA didn't.
Did I mention it was for over $700???? Rice, beans sugar, salt, can goods, etc-well it was a lot of stuff!!LOL!!:xeye:I might go back for the books though. They had the 3 country living books, Rifle, car, Civil War, Army manual w/ CD ROM(?), and battle books. Also it just deemed like a big store that had grills and tires. Nothing was really cheap ot in bulk like I expected. Ahh, what to do? What to do?????:confused:

·
King of Nido
2,013 Posts
Sams used to take all cards then only Discover (the Sams club CC is discover) then after folks bitchin they started taking MC again. My local Costco takes Visa but only if ya use the cash advance pin.

·
GrowingFromScratch.com
3,246 Posts
Just joined recently and still getting a handle on the place, and how to combine shop there with the other grocery stores we use. My wife quickly determined that there was no great cheaper bulk price for diapers to be found compared to where we have been getting them. I do like the bulk rice and beans though.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I worked there for 4 years....

If you compare the price per oz. on their Member's Mark products compare to name brands at wal-mart or such you will almost always come ahead at sam's unless you have coupons or there is a sale going of some sort.

Preppers paradise? where do people get that? They mostly cater to small businesses, which is a heavy percentage of their sales, second is luxery goods buyers then value shoppers.

Know what your looking for, be prepared for lines, recognize you are shopping at a WAREHOUSE then stock up! They do NOT have exotic prepping items, but if you are looking for good prices on bulk sugar, TP, laundry soap, spices, misc. prep items it is the way to go.

·
Isaiah 40:31
117 Posts
I've never been super impressed with membership warehouse grocery stores. We had a free pass to our local BJ's wholesale club and their electronics prices were about the same as at our local Target. As far as food was concerned, sure, by unit most prices were cheaper than your major grocery stores like Publix and Kroger, but they still couldn't beat Aldi. Granted, you can't exactly stock up on entire pallets of food at Aldi, but little by little we've accumulated quite the canned goods stash from there.

When it comes to things like enormous bags of wheat and other dry staples you can't go wrong with the Provident Living Center or through a local store that carries bulk buy grains. We're fortunate enough to have several in our area.

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
Umm I used my card there yesterday....to buy Smirnoffs (bought a few cases :)) and I used my BOA Visa card....Ive always used Visa there....I have nuttin else but Visa....

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Costco does not take master or visa credit cards either. Only cash, debit or American express... not sure about checks though. I think I did see checks in line but they are run through electronically.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Consider it a good thing that you didn't go into debt buying your preps. Use cash, check or debit card. Only buy what you can afford at the time, or save up for a splurge. You'll be surprised how fast your preps will grow little by little. You don't have to do it all at ounce.

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Umm I used my card there yesterday....to buy Smirnoffs (bought a few cases :)) and I used my BOA Visa card....Ive always used Visa there....I have nuttin else but Visa....

Boy ,pretty girls get away with MURDER!!!!!:D: what were you wearing??:taped:

BTW , Did't notice any Auguson products there either....:confused:

·
GrowingFromScratch.com
3,246 Posts
I haven't noticed any Auguson products at mine either. Pretty sure I'll have to order that stuff through Sams online.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Went to Sams today through flooded streets and pouring rain (20 mi.) for out first round of real preps. Spent over 2 hours there. Filled 2 huge baskets of stuff including $150 worth of books. Back was killing me. Made it to the checkout only to find out they don't accept VISA!!!!!!!:(who knew):sleep:xeye: Only Mastercard and DISCOVER(?!?!?!?!?!?).:xeye: I was so hot to go through all of this that it has me really bummed out right now. I hope to shake it, but man , what a letdown!!!!:(:(
Yeah, I learned that one too when I started going there up here in AK. I was perplexed...thankfully I have a MC to use over the Visa as well. I wonder what the deal is with Visa and Sams? Never spent the time to look it up...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts