Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with Sam's Club Gentron® 10,000W Generator w/ Electric Start. I noticed it is made in China:)

·
Registered
801 Posts
If it doesn't have a honda motor don't buy it.

Get a motor with a rip start; if you battery is dead then you have to try to jump it off your truck which could screw things up worse... too much current.

If the starter motor malfunctions you are really screwed.... last time I checked Sam's doesn't have a parts/repair department and it ain't open 24/7.

We had an ice storm ten years ago that put damn near all of Maine out of power for two weeks; a bunch of carper bagging swindlers (from down south) showed up in several locations with COLEMAN generators all marked "reconditioned" which they solD off the back of an 18 wheeler. FEW OF THEM WORKED AND THE SWINDLERS WERE LONG GONE!

Within hours all the LOCAL small engine shops were flooded with these units and they had no parts. Buy a Honda powere generator from a local guy who will properly service it and have parts in his shop and know how to make repairs.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you are right on the Honda motor.
My favorite was during Ike they were selling generators to folks after the gas stations were not open due to no electricity to pump with.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Don't have any experience with the Sam's Club generator.

I would be very concerned about obtaining parts or service for it.

My 15 year old Craftsman (Generac) generator still works well because I am able to order parts easily for it.

If it ever dies, it will be replaced with a Honda. Expensive, but good!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been looking at the trifuel generators that have the honda engine. They cost about 1/3 or so more but give you more options such as natural gas if you have it available at your house. Then there is diesel and use waste vegetable oil .

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Northern Tools carries a NorthStar Trifuel Generator — 13 HP, 6600 Watt with a Honda GX 390 OHV engine for $2149.99. Is this a good one? The gasoline model of the same one is $1299.99, would it be better to save the money by doing my own conversion?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts