Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you need to store most lts items in a controlled environment(A/C or Heated). What about salt?? Can that be stored safely in 90 degrees with high humidity?? I'm in central Florida, with limited air conditioned storage space.
What items could be stored in a garage in this climate?
Thanks to all.
John

·
Registered
34,022 Posts
(IMO) Storage life for salt is indefinite. So long as you keep it dry and do not let it get contaminated with dirt or whatever, it will never go bad. Over time, iodized salt may turn yellow, but this is harmless and may still be used. Salt it rather hygroscopic and will adsorb moisture from the air if not sealed in an air-tight container.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
I know you need to store most lts items in a controlled environment(A/C or Heated). What about salt?? Can that be stored safely in 90 degrees with high humidity?? I'm in central Florida, with limited air conditioned storage space.
What items could be stored in a garage in this climate?
Thanks to all.
John
salt and suger are non perishable items provided they do not become contaminated ie by floods or chemicals ect we just put salt and suger in #10 cans but any container that is water/ pest proof will work

Reactions: OhioMan

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
(IMO) Storage life for salt is indefinite. So long as you keep it dry and do not let it get contaminated with dirt or whatever, it will never go bad. Over time, iodized salt may turn yellow, but this is harmless and may still be used. Salt it rather hygroscopic and will adsorb moisture from the air if not sealed in an air-tight container.
lol you beet me to it :thumb:

Reactions: OhioMan

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
The humidity might make it clump. That won't hurt it any, but it's inconvenient to try and crumble it for use. I'd suggest putting it in a bucket with a gasketed lid and putting a bag of silica gel (dessicant, available in hobby shops for drying flowers, etc.) in to keep it dry.

I just store mine in the original bag, on a shelf. It's getting a little clumpy after a decade, but no biggy.

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts
I just put up 4 pounds of iodized salt. I like to sterilize the 2 litre soda bottles ,dry them out and reuse them for storing rice, salt,sugar, pinto beans, just about any dry goods. Like Mike K said ,it may clump but no big deal. TP

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
I have a really stupid question, is the salt you can buy in the 40 pound bags for melting ice the same salt you can eat?

Sorry. Stupid question, I have a feeling.
probbably would work to eat salt is salt, but the question I would have is what else is in it?
I get the morton salt in 4lb boxes its like 85 cents a box so like 21 cents a lb so i buy two cases full each time i get some so for about 20 bucks you get about 100lbs of salt

Reactions: MotherEarth

·
Burner
669 Posts
I have a really stupid question, is the salt you can buy in the 40 pound bags for melting ice the same salt you can eat?

Not a stupid question in the least. It made me wonder about it as well.

I'm not sure if you can eat rock salt, you'd at least have to grind it up if it is safe to eat.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I just dip normal 1lb packages in wax. The oldest one is pushing 2 years old. I havent opened one yet to see if the wax has kept it dry, but the idea seems sound. Im a big fan of waxing stuff for storage. If i actually NEED the stored stuff, chances are, the wax its coated with will also come in handy.

I do like the 2liter pop bottle idea too. Those stack nice like firewood.

·
VA / NC
12,688 Posts

When you are at the grocery store, just look for the boxes of salt. They are very cheap, usally cheaper than the normal containers. It is labled table salt, then you know for sure what you are getting. Think it says Institutional Package on the outside by Morton.

I had left some in the boxes in my garage, and the humidity had started causing it to clump, so like others have said, place it in a soda bottle or something to seal it from humdity and you will be fine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.