Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gettin' there
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed that there is very little salt available on Walmart shelves?
I just put this together today, after being at 3 different Walmarts and realizing the salt shelves were nearly bare. Spoke with friends in 2 other states who have noticed the same thing. I have not checked at other stores yet, but plan to.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Plenty of culinary salt in north Georgia and Atlanta. The rumour is bogus it seems.

Anyway, there is plenty of salt in the world and it is not an endangered "species".

I use mainly sea salt, and of late I don't see the oceans worldwide getting any less salty.

I've seen no evidence of terrestrial salt mines being mined out either.

Perhaps OP mistook stories over this past winter of shortages of salt in the UK to combat the ferocious winter storms, ice and snow on roads there? Demand was far outstripping the ability of UK's one salt mine t supply it. Road salt was being imported from elsehwhere in the EU and the United States at one point in the crisis.

·
Gettin' there
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. I realize there is plenty of salt in the world. But, getting it shipped where you want it and when you want it, is a different story. I was going only by the fact that at least 6 of my friends have noticed the same thing in various Walmart stores in 3 different states. Perhaps WM having trouble getting it shipped from China. Who knows.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input. I realize there is plenty of salt in the world. But, getting it shipped where you want it and when you want it, is a different story. I was going only by the fact that at least 6 of my friends have noticed the same thing in various Walmart stores in 3 different states. Perhaps WM having trouble getting it shipped from China. Who knows.
Doubtful. The USA has more than ample terrestrial salt mines to supply demands.

·
Gettin' there
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, all I know is that 6 Wallmarts have next to no salt on their shelves, perhaps they are trying to switch over to their own brand, it just seemed odd to me. I was just curious why.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Well, all I know is that 6 Wallmarts have next to no salt on their shelves, perhaps they are trying to switch over to their own brand, it just seemed odd to me. I was just curious why.
Why not ask the store manager? There is probably a very reasonable explanation for the "shortage". :)

·
Krazy Kitty
5,007 Posts
I have been stocking up on IODIZED salt for over three years ever since I heard a rumor that the goobermint wanted to ban the iodized. Iodine is also banned. Try to find it. Iodine is supposed to help with radiation poisening. I probably have enough salt to last 5 years, including sea salt. Look in the stores. There are more boxes of non iodized than there are iodized. I bought two more boxes yesterday. I am also stocking up on incandescent light bulbs. Because they are also on their way out. I WILL NOT put one of those mercury loaded cfr bulbs in my house.

·
Stayin' above ground
145 Posts
Has anyone noticed that there is very little salt available on Walmart shelves?
I just put this together today, after being at 3 different Walmarts and realizing the salt shelves were nearly bare. Spoke with friends in 2 other states who have noticed the same thing. I have not checked at other stores yet, but plan to.
Which states are you referring to? I'm just curious...

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts

·
The Cynical Girl
11,165 Posts
I think it's just a Walmart thing. I just went to Price Chopper and bought 7 cans of salt. In my area, Walmart's been cleraring their shelves to only stock more expensive brands of things (i.e., Reynolds aluminum foil <the most expensive> and none of the generic foil). I realize you may be limited in your shopping in Miss., but try a regular grocery store. Salt is cheap even in a regular grocery.

·
Survive... for what?
1,412 Posts
perhaps they are trying to switch over to their own brand, it just seemed odd to me. I was just curious why.
Ahh the "Value Brand" crap... they phase out other companies products and replace it with the walmart labeled junk. Soon you wont have a choice - Value Brand will be all you will be able to buy. They dont even have an iodized version of value brand salt.

·
Gettin' there
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"As the dollar breaks down, you’ll also likely see disruptions in supply chains, including shipments of food to grocery stores. People should consider maintaining stockpiles of basic goods needed for living, much as they would for a natural disaster. I sit on the Hayward fault in California. I have a supply of goods and basic necessities in case something terrible happens—natural or man-made—that will carry me for a couple of months. It may take that long for a barter system to evolve, which I think is what you’re going to end up with; at least until a new currency system is reorganized and you get a government that’s able to bring its fiscal house into order. No currency system in the U.S. is going to work unless the fiscal conditions that drove it into oblivion are also addressed." - John Williams of ShadowStats, by way of Jim Sinclair's JSMineset web site

·
Registered
15,150 Posts
The wally world that I go to nearly once a week at least seems to be okay... but hey there are not that many poeple here in idaho compared to other states... could also be some problem with supply versus demand from other states... but it would seem odd if that were it...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.