Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone keep a small jar of salt and small a jar of sugar in your BOB/BOV/GHB etc.?

I was thinking the other day how in 3rd world countries they teach children to provide a glass of water with a pinch of salt and a handful of sugar when suffering from dehydration and heat exhaustion.

Why not add that to GHB in my car? It’s easy, cheap, has no expiry, and takes up little room. One of the few “do it and forget about it” in preps.

Stuck somewhere (traffic jam/sheltered in place at work with no AC, etc.) In the middle of summer? Just mix your salt/sugar on water and bam, homemade Gatorade!

Disasters got you bugged out/in and you or your kid has massive diarrhea and needs to fix their electrolyte level? Bam, Problem solved.

Ive done three ironmans and know the value of salt/sugar combo. I’ve also had heat exhaustion from clearing vegetation around the house during peak summer/wildfire season and I was glad I had some pedialyte for the kids in the pantry.

There is little natural water and it gets really hot here for a few months in the summer. I can see heat exhaustion being a serious concern if first world comforts are suspended around here during those months.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Anyone keep a small jar of salt and small a jar of sugar in your BOB/BOV/GHB etc.?

I was thinking the other day how in 3rd world countries they teach children to provide a glass of water with a pinch of salt and a handful of sugar when suffering from dehydration and heat exhaustion.

Why not add that to GHB in my car? It’s easy, cheap, has no expiry, and takes up little room. One of the few “do it and forget about it” in preps.

Stuck somewhere (traffic jam/sheltered in place at work with no AC, etc.) In the middle of summer? Just mix your salt/sugar on water and bam, homemade Gatorade!

Disasters got you bugged out/in and you or your kid has massive diarrhea and needs to fix their electrolyte level? Bam, Problem solved.

Ive done three ironmans and know the value of salt/sugar combo. I’ve also had heat exhaustion from clearing vegetation around the house during peak summer/wildfire season and I was glad I had some pedialyte for the kids in the pantry.

There is little natural water and it gets really hot here for a few months in the summer. I can see heat exhaustion being a serious concern if first world comforts are suspended around here during those months.
if you google it there is a better recipe that uses lite salt to get potassium. Replace some of the sugar with coolAid or another drink mix if you want the flavor. You can buy pouches pre made also, google oral rehydration solution.

But it really doesn’t matter if you don’t have access to plenty of water. The first few quarts can be consumed with out worrying about electrolytes. After that you can get it from food or supplements ( like ORS).

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
All my kits have salt, pepper, sugar and other such. BOB, GHB, vehicle kits, etc.

So little weight for substantial benefit.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,526 Posts
Salt and Mineral pills. Potassium and Magnesium can get critically low also from too much sweating if not replenished. Really bad things happen if those get low. Like your heart can quit beating or become so erratic it isn't pumping much.

·
Scapegoat of the Universe
2,180 Posts
Extra packet you can get from eating out are also handy for cooking. Soy, orange sauce, chinese mustard, sriracha packs from Asian restaurants. Ketchup, salt, bbq, honey from fast food places. Sugar, pepper, relish from gas stations. These add up. Store in a ziploc and are shelf stable.

·
Purrpared
805 Posts
You can Google "oral rehydration solution" (ORS) to get the right proportions. You do not want to overload yourself on salt or potassium, which is easy to do if you don't check the proportions and you're incredibly thirsty and gulp it down. ORS in correct proportions is hard to judge by taste alone.

Completely agree with adding a flavoring agent. When I had the flu I didn't have any friends and relatives who weren't sick too, so I had to use the ORS plain, and trying to get a quart of it down while the room revolved slowly and I kept the trashcan nearby was not fun. If you can flavor it, you'll keep it down better. If someone is so nauseated they won't drink but they're still conscious, you can even drip ORS in with a syringe just a few drops at a time for them to hold in the side of their cheek (always sitting up) and if they're dry, their mucous membranes will absorb it. Amazing stuff.

ORS is sold in little packets meant to be added to one liter of clean water. In the situations where you would need this, you may not feel well enough to be messing about with measuring spoons and such, and trust me, you will be dropping things. ORS comes in liquid form, too, but that doesn't keep as well in the uncontrolled climate of your BOB or vehicle. The basic salt/sugar/potassium solution should be good unless it gets wet. For people way out on the rez who couldn't always get to a store or pharmacy, we used to make up little individual packets of ORS and Crystal Lite lemonade or grape individual servings, and put them inside a wide mouth water bottle which was marked at the 1 liter level and had Sharpie instructions on it. Stores well in a hot pickup.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,526 Posts
Extra packet you can get from eating out are also handy for cooking. Soy, orange sauce, chinese mustard, sriracha packs from Asian restaurants. Ketchup, salt, bbq, honey from fast food places. Sugar, pepper, relish from gas stations. These add up. Store in a ziploc and are shelf stable.
Are Fast food honey packets really honey or are they diluted down with HFCS or something?

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,526 Posts
You can Google "oral rehydration solution" (ORS) to get the right proportions. You do not want to overload yourself on salt or potassium, which is easy to do if you don't check the proportions and you're incredibly thirsty and gulp it down. ORS in correct proportions is hard to judge by taste alone.

Completely agree with adding a flavoring agent. When I had the flu I didn't have any friends and relatives who weren't sick too, so I had to use the ORS plain, and trying to get a quart of it down while the room revolved slowly and I kept the trashcan nearby was not fun. If you can flavor it, you'll keep it down better. If someone is so nauseated they won't drink but they're still conscious, you can even drip ORS in with a syringe just a few drops at a time for them to hold in the side of their cheek (always sitting up) and if they're dry, their mucous membranes will absorb it. Amazing stuff.

ORS is sold in little packets meant to be added to one liter of clean water. In the situations where you would need this, you may not feel well enough to be messing about with measuring spoons and such, and trust me, you will be dropping things. ORS comes in liquid form, too, but that doesn't keep as well in the uncontrolled climate of your BOB or vehicle. The basic salt/sugar/potassium solution should be good unless it gets wet. For people way out on the rez who couldn't always get to a store or pharmacy, we used to make up little individual packets of ORS and Crystal Lite lemonade or grape individual servings, and put them inside a wide mouth water bottle which was marked at the 1 liter level and had Sharpie instructions on it. Stores well in a hot pickup.
I doubt anyone is going to overdose on Potassium. The generally recommended amount of Potassium is rather a lot. Something like 3500 mg/day.
An etire potassium pill is only 99 mg. You would need to eat 35 of them! Pretty hard to do.

Personally, I would not include sugar in an oral rehydration formula. The main cause of Dehydration is diarrhea. Drinking sugar water on top of Diarrhea is likely to detonate like pouring gasoline on a fire. (some foreign agent is in your guts trying to kill you and it it needs to die. It would love a big dose of sugar! That is how they get sewer plants revved up !

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
If you are worried about needing electrolites why not just put Gatoraid in your bag instead of water? I do put sugar in my survival kits but in the form of wintogreen Life Savers. They will last forever and are palatable with no preperation.

My kits are for safety in the winter time and sugar keeps the internal fire stoked up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts