Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SPAM gets a lot of praise as a great survival prep food, and deservedly so.

We bought some canned salmon yesterday that had a "best by" date of Sep 2016 on it.
I didn't realize it would keep that long! I like salmon almost as good as SPAM myself. But for those that don't like SPAM, salmon may be a good alternative for a long storing canned "meat".

We will be buying more to put up as we can.

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
Salmon keeps a long time. Makes great patties...or you can eat it out of the can like sardines. Some egg, flour and fry in oil....and it beats Spam, hands down! I have several cans of Honey Boy. I like the boneless too...but it costs a bit more.

·
Isaiah 40:31
117 Posts
Salmon is excellent tasting an nutritious. We keep both the canned variety in our food storage pantry and the kind in vacuum sealed mylar pouches to toss in our BOB.

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
8,785 Posts
Spam, though good every once in a while, does not have the same oils as salmon. I don't care for the stuff with the bones in it either but it is a good source of calcium so I tend to use that for salmon cakes.

Fish oil is a lot easier to take (at least for me) when it comes with the fish and not in a pill that makes me burp tuna taste all day ... bleech ...

I just tried sardines in mustard sauce for the first time the other day. I was surprised ... Not too bad ... especially if you stick the little bugger on a sardine cracker ...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
No Bones about it

Salmon is great. I prefer the kind without bones though.
I prefer the Salmon without bones as well.
But a friend ,who studies nutrition says that the bones are a excellent source of calcium. So for survival purposes, I get the kind with bones.
Canned, Jack Mackerel is also good and a little cheaper than Salmon and can be used in similar recipes.;)

No White Flags Above My Door
Daveeds

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Sardines-BOB

Spam, though good every once in a while, does not have the same oils as salmon. I don't care for the stuff with the bones in it either but it is a good source of calcium so I tend to use that for salmon cakes.

Fish oil is a lot easier to take (at least for me) when it comes with the fish and not in a pill that makes me burp tuna taste all day ... bleech ...

I just tried sardines in mustard sauce for the first time the other day. I was surprised ... Not too bad ... especially if you stick the little bugger on a sardine cracker ...
I have a couple of small cans and 1 large can of fish fillets/steaks in mustard and hot sauce. I have been eating stuff like that all my life. Camping/ fishing.I use to get the cheap plain sardines and use the liquid on my fishing pole bait and the sardines in fish traps made great bait.

No white Flags Above My Door
Daveeds:

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
I have a couple of small cans and 1 large can of fish fillets/steaks in mustard and hot sauce. I have been eating stuff like that all my life. Camping/ fishing.I use to get the cheap plain sardines and use the liquid on my fishing pole bait and the sardines in fish traps made great bait.

No white Flags Above My Door
Daveeds:
Kippers! They're wonderful for breakfast on toast and last basically forever. Yum.

Reactions: delta6

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Love salmon patties (mine = egg, crushed crackers and/or a little biscuit mix, dill, onion) make into a flat patty and fry. Also eat canned salmon mixed with some mayo, dill & onion powder with saltines. Yumm!

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,580 Posts
I wouldn't let the "best by" dates have much influence on your purchasing decision. Canned goods last far beyond their best by date. Most any canned good on the market could easily have that date extended by years, but they choose not to do so. I assume for marketing reasons.

Salmon is a great prep item, as are most of the canned seafoods. I tend to prefer canned mackerel. It's cheaper, and is loaded with healthy fats. I've always liked sardines too, but when Underwood went out of business, there went my favorite sardines in Tabasco. I've always liked the salmon with bones, oddly enough. I like the texture and have since I was a kid.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Salmon might be a great food to store, but it is nasty. I can not stand the stuff.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I like spam but, I LOVE salmon. My wife makes awesome salmon patties which are always a treet.

Spam can be eaten out of the can but, why would you? Salmon is delishious right out of the can & I like it with or without bones. The bones add a nice crunch like crutons in a salad.

Love sardines too, plain or in musterd sauce is best but, any kind is acceptable for me.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,580 Posts
I have never eaten salmon. Does it taste like tuna?
It has that same "canned fish" taste that tuna has. But it's a different flavor. I like it better than canned tuna. You might too. Try a can or two just to see. You can pretty much use it in any tuna recipe, and there are plenty of recipes specifically for it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I also have salmon pouches along with my spam pouches in our BOBs. Of course, we have tuna but salmon and spam will be nice to have to chance it up a bit.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm fortunate to live in an area where we have excellent salmon fishing. I'd like to try canning salmon a try. Its not uncommon for us to catch 30-40 lbs of salmon filets in a weekend. With a little effort, I bet I can put away quite a few jars of salmon for basically the cost of canning supplies.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts