Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
May the Lord be with us
5,784 Posts
Yes, I have one with the original monte carlo style sights and have shot it fairly extensively. It is quite accurate; best groups are with Remington UMC .308, followed by S & B, then Russian steel case ammo du jour. I have only used the factory 8 rnd mags which have worked flawlessly.

What do you want to know?

·
Registered
136 Posts
My best friend has one and I've shot it a few times. I didn't like how long the trigger pull was and the stock felt odd in my hand, even for a Monte Carlo stock. Magazines are expensive, too.

I was, however, highly impressed by the fact that it has practically no recoil! What a far contrast from my bolt action 308 Remington 700.

Overall, it is a well made gun with a nice fit and finish relative to the AK and AK-variant world.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My best friend has one and I've shot it a few times. I didn't like how long the trigger pull was and the stock felt odd in my hand, even for a Monte Carlo stock. Magazines are expensive, too.

I was, however, highly impressed by the fact that it has practically no recoil! What a far contrast from my bolt action 308 Remington 700.

Overall, it is a well made gun with a nice fit and finish relative to the AK and AK-variant world.
Good information, especially comparing it to the Remmy.

I've heard you can modify the rifle to take CETME mags. This effort also requires modification of the mags.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I have one with the original monte carlo style sights and have shot it fairly extensively. It is quite accurate; best groups are with Remington UMC .308, followed by S & B, then Russian steel case ammo du jour. I have only used the factory 8 rnd mags which have worked flawlessly.

What do you want to know?
Did you have to recrown? Any other modifications? How good is the accuracy? 2 minutes? Better? Worse?

Any issues with the Russian ammo? If I don't buy a pile of once-fired brass, I might stockpile black box....

·
May the Lord be with us
5,784 Posts
Did you have to recrown? Any other modifications? How good is the accuracy? 2 minutes? Better? Worse?

Any issues with the Russian ammo? If I don't buy a pile of once-fired brass, I might stockpile black box....
Hi Blackhawk Fan.

Despite the general "looseness" associated with the bolt carrier group moving about any AK variant, I am surprised at the accuracy which is about 2 3/4 - 3 1/4 moa when the rifle is shot for accuracy with Remington, S & B or Winchester ammo (a bit less with Ruskie ammo, but the cost for plinking ammo is significantly less...)...

I find myself doing a lot more cleaning after firing Russian ammo than US or S & B. (I purposely shoot one type of ammo only per range session in order that I could get a true feel for which ammo the rifle preferred accuracy - wise as well as dirt build-up and cleaning requirements).

One interesting thing that i have heard from several personally experienced Saiga Shooters is that the 16" barreled version (what I have) was considerably more accurate than the longer barreled version, allegedly due to barrel stiffness....

The next FTF, FTE that I experience with this rifle will be it's first (and according to my log book, I have put 4,120 rounds through it. All of these rounds have been loaded via four (4) factory 8 round mags. I have not tried the Surefire or ProMag high Cap. mags as they are fairly expensive and I have heard some real mixed bag of results. I wish a company like Checkmate that makes high end M1A steel boxes, or C-Products, or some similar U.S. Company would make some good steel 20 round mags for it.

In terms of modifications, I have set up a good two point sling and I am considering a vortex flash suppressor and a relatively low power scope, i.e. 1.75 x 5 or so....

I like the monte carlo stock myself. The heavy weight of the small package, along with the semi auto action sucks up recoil fairly well. Follow up shots are relatively quick.

Overall, for the price, this is a tough rifle to beat (I only wish for well made, U.S. made 20 round boxes...).

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Goethic,

Thanks for the reply.

I picked mine up yesterday. The gun shop owner threw in a box of Federal 150gr FMJBT.

I'm looking at scope mounts as I already have a scope for it in my pile o' scopes drawer.

I was surprised at the looseness of the piston/cylinder. There's sure to be a lot of gas blow-by. I wonder what kind of MVs this system will produce.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
I don't own one, but I shoot with a buddy who does. His is bone stock and it outshoots my FAL for accuracy. I've never seen it choke on any ammo. It could use a trigger job and better sights or optics. But it's definately a solid contender.

·
May the Lord be with us
5,784 Posts
Goethic,

Thanks for the reply.

I picked mine up yesterday. The gun shop owner threw in a box of Federal 150gr FMJBT.

I'm looking at scope mounts as I already have a scope for it in my pile o' scopes drawer.

I was surprised at the looseness of the piston/cylinder. There's sure to be a lot of gas blow-by. I wonder what kind of MVs this system will produce.
You are very welcome BLACKHAWK FAN. A couple of suggestions... 1. stock up on some factory mags (you don't want to run into a problem if this administrobstruction bans Russian imports similar to Clinton's ban on Chinese firearms imports), and, 2. If you are looking for a quality scope mount that slides onto the side rail, check out the website for k-var.com

Good luck with your new rifle and don't worry about the looseness... Your rifle will function when others are gummed up.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I own a saiga 308 and I'm in the middle of a pistol grip conversion. Moving the trigger group on the 308 is a lot easier than the x39. I've bought the dinzag trigger group and I'm getting my barrel threaded. I'm going to add a muzzle brake/ flash hider. I'm also going to cut off the tang on the rear of the rifle and add an internal stock adapter. I'll post some pics when done. I highly recommend converting the rifle. The stock trigger is horrible. I would never consider owning an unconverted Saiga after having shot a converted.

·
May the Lord be with us
5,784 Posts
There are certain advantages, IMHO, top having my Saiga "unconverted." I maintain all of the reliability and hard hitting .308, but it helps one to "fly under the radar" as it looks more like a hunting rifle to the average person than a military style EBR... One does not have to look tacticoool to be tacticoool....

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I own a saiga 308 and I'm in the middle of a pistol grip conversion. Moving the trigger group on the 308 is a lot easier than the x39. I've bought the dinzag trigger group and I'm getting my barrel threaded. I'm going to add a muzzle brake/ flash hider. I'm also going to cut off the tang on the rear of the rifle and add an internal stock adapter. I'll post some pics when done. I highly recommend converting the rifle. The stock trigger is horrible. I would never consider owning an unconverted Saiga after having shot a converted.
The conversion is easier than the 7.62 version? Good to know, since, as you say, the trigger is horrible. Thought I could live with it until I installed the TAPCO thingie. The pistol grip positions the hand in such a way that it's like lifting weights getting that trigger to break.

How did you thread the end of the barrel? On mine, the front sight has a shroud that protects the crown. It's pinned in two places. I'm thinking I may have to remove the front sight and cut it back a bit before threading. Might as well recrown while I'm there....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.