Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been throwing around the idea of building a Saiga .308. But I want something newer, something diffrent, something people will look at and say," holy crap!"

Here's a pic of what I was thinking of building:

Problems are going to be railing the top And proper handguards.

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to try and get the top rail correct on my x39 then transfer the design to a .308.

I understand the weight. But I've found that if the gun weighs a good ammount. The recoil is a bit less. But then again it's going to be a saiga 308. there's gonna be recoil none the less.

I have a friend who works in a machine shop and his boss said I can go in and use whatever scrap metals the have around. So it's off to the drawing board!

Don't most H&K G3's weigh about 9lbs?

·
Tactical
82 Posts
I don't want to hijack the thread, but a .308 battle rifle can be very controllable with the right muzzle brake. The SCAR bolt and recoil spring help to damper the recoil as well but I think the muzzle brake does most of the work here.

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL, yeah. That was just for looks. Plus it's backwards :rolleyes:

I've looked into a lot of diffrent muzzle breaks for 308's. The cool thing about the saiga is I can thread it to whatever twist I want.

I'm also going to look into making .308 magazines for the saiga. Since magazines are $50+ a piece. I'd like to find a way to market them cheaper but still have good quality.

·
Registered
650 Posts
It's not that easy to make a Saiga 308 mag...if it was...there would be tons of company making them. There is one guy on Saiga forum that offers a metal 308 mag.

Your photo looks like it's the poster child for magpul.

Put on a folding stock of your choice and add a good rail and call it good. Why dump a ton of money into a $350 rifle? In the end it's a Saiga and not a SCAR 17.

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's the Saigalite AK-10.
LOL! That made me giggle.

Saddly the "pimpmygun" website didnt have much in the lines for saiga forends.

I will be doing a dogleg over the top and a UTG saiga tri rail in the front.

I found on another website someone has already done what i want to do.

aside from the lower magpul grip. This is what I'm looking to do.

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The thing is. You need to have a back up iron sight system to use the dogleg top rail. Because it plugs into the rear sight leaf. Which needs to be removed.

So in short. I would need a forend or gas tube with rail to add the AR-15 Buis sights. So I can have back up irons.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
LOL, yeah. That was just for looks. Plus it's backwards :rolleyes:

I've looked into a lot of diffrent muzzle breaks for 308's. The cool thing about the saiga is I can thread it to whatever twist I want.

I'm also going to look into making .308 magazines for the saiga. Since magazines are $50+ a piece. I'd like to find a way to market them cheaper but still have good quality.

well for 1 mags dont cost $50 anymore :thumb: personelly i think the 25rnd mags are to long and would rather have the 20 rounders

http://armsofamerica.com/usmadesurefiresaiga30820rdmagazine-3499-1.aspx

as for the sight rail i dought the one pictured is going to hold zero so that would be a major problem and would make it a waste of money

if you lighten the weapon up its going to start kicking like a mule i would suggest getting this

http://www.nokick.com/AK_47_Collapsible_Stock_Kit_w_Shock_Absorber_p/mako%20sbt-k47fk.htm

and if it still has a bit of a kick add this to the stock

http://www.nokick.com/GL_Shock_Recoil_Reducing_AR_15_stock_Black_p/mako gl-shock-bk.htm

a good muzzel break will also reduce the recoil like this one

http://www.nokick.com/JP_Tactical_Compensator_Black_308_cal_750_barrel_p/jptre-324.htm

if you want a sight rail and you dont want to spend alot you could do this

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/ak47/115439-flat-top-ak-beryl-rail-quick-disconnect-system.html

but the kerb one is the best out there ATM but i dont think its worth $275 either

tws has just come out with one that is showing promise but it just came out this year so it still may have some bugs needing to be worked out

http://www.texasweaponsystems.com/id1.html

·
Bad Guy
802 Posts
LOL! That made me giggle.

Saddly the "pimpmygun" website didnt have much in the lines for saiga forends.

I will be doing a dogleg over the top and a UTG saiga tri rail in the front.

I found on another website someone has already done what i want to do.

aside from the lower magpul grip. This is what I'm looking to do.
I tried an SGM trirail on mine but it didn't fit tight, so I sent it back. Forearms for the 308 are pretty scarce, but word is CSS and Chaos are both coming out with one. I would do a base conversion and see how it shoots before dumping a bunch of money in accessories.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Saiga in .308 has very little recoil.

My wife shoots it and loves it.
If you think it is so much that it requires muzzle breaks then you are probably better off with a smaller caliber.

This is not a put down but reality. I hate muzzle breaks personally since thay are louder. I hate the noise. The recoil is no problem.

Jmo

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The x39 i have will get the test makeover. It's already converted to pistol grip and have since chucked the monte carlo. As soon as that damn tax return gets here I can start hacking away at it.

I'm hoping that removing the front sight block will add to barrel hormonix. Maybe it will maybe it wont.

The one I found the picture of is on a .223 saiga. Looks nice IMO.

As for Irons holding zero: The front hand guard doesnt move and neither does the rear dust cover. Everything on the saiga is tight. If need be I can add reinforcment pins to the upper hand guard. But don't see this as being a problem. I also plan on a fixed power 4x scope for the x39. On the .308 it will be something bigger like a 3-9x40. Both with quick detach mounts.

On the x39 there is recoil. But I can manage it well. A muzzle break would be a nice addition. To lower the souns and also keep my muzzle rise down.

I was also looking at the DPH dust cover rail. Or maybe the texas weapon system rail. Krebs is not cheap.

I will update when I get started on the project. Maybe post some sexy pictures. lol.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Saiga in .308 has very little recoil.

My wife shoots it and loves it.
If you think it is so much that it requires muzzle breaks then you are probably better off with a smaller caliber.

This is not a put down but reality. I hate muzzle breaks personally since thay are louder. I hate the noise. The recoil is no problem.

Jmo
you must have the 21.8 " barrel because the 16" and a collapseable stock does kick like a mule

ive had both and there is a BIG difference in recoil between the 2

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
The x39 i have will get the test makeover. It's already converted to pistol grip and have since chucked the monte carlo. As soon as that damn tax return gets here I can start hacking away at it.

I'm hoping that removing the front sight block will add to barrel hormonix. Maybe it will maybe it wont.

The one I found the picture of is on a .223 saiga. Looks nice IMO.

As for Irons holding zero: The front hand guard doesnt move and neither does the rear dust cover. Everything on the saiga is tight. If need be I can add reinforcment pins to the upper hand guard. But don't see this as being a problem. I also plan on a fixed power 4x scope for the x39. On the .308 it will be something bigger like a 3-9x40. Both with quick detach mounts.

On the x39 there is recoil. But I can manage it well. A muzzle break would be a nice addition. To lower the souns and also keep my muzzle rise down.

I was also looking at the DPH dust cover rail. Or maybe the texas weapon system rail. Krebs is not cheap.

I will update when I get started on the project. Maybe post some sexy pictures. lol.

you might want to do some research on sight rails with dust covers. you will find that you will not beable to keep anything zeroed. everytime you take it off it doesnt go in the exact same place to keep zeroed.

if it was the case then all those cheap dust cover sight rails would be all anyone would need. problem is dust cover sight rails dont work if they did why would anyone buy a kerbs sight rail ? this is why ppl are leary of the new TWS sight rail but if it does work it will be the 1st dust cover sight rail to work. hopefully it does work :thumb:

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I am of the opinion that less is more...a single top rail with some kind of low powered optic is about all I would do. Recoil is very subjective, go out and shoot one first, then go from there.

What you have pictured in your first post seems like it will be very heavy in the front end.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.