Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The end is near.
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like I might get a chance to buy one of these. I currently have a Savage pump and that's it for a shotgun. I'm considering the Saiga 12 for the kind of home defense we could see if tshtf. It looks mean enough to cut down a whole hoard of zombies, but does it just look this way or is it as capable as it looks?

I couldn't help but to notice the fact that magazines/drums can be bought for it that give between 10 and 20 round capacity. And inserting another magazine would be quicker/easier than reloading the tube magazine on my other shotgun.

In other words, it looks as if it's made to fight rather than hunt. Is this shotgun a battle weapon or does it just look that way?

Another thing I couldn't help but notice is the price on this thing. :eek: I could get a couple of pumps for that price.

Guess I should give a little more info about what I intend to use it for, and not use it for. I've got the Savage, so I've got hunting with a shotgun taken care of. I've also got a battle rifle or two, so I'm not thinking of relying solely on the Saiga in place of that.
My first thought is, this would give me added firepower if armed people actually make it into my home. I'd rather go at them with 10 or 20 rounds available and a quick reload possible than with my Savage. Am I wrong about the Saiga serving this purpose?
And yea, my second thought is that this shotgun is tacti-cool in the extreme. lol. It just looks meaner than heck.

Good or bad, what is your opinion on this shotgun? What is it good for and where does it fall short? What accessories would you consider mandatory, if you think it's worth having at all.

(I went back through the past threads in the shotgun section and didn't see any threads on this shotgun. It would be hard for me to believe it hasn't been discussed somewhere on this site in the past. If I just didn't see the thread feel free to post a link to it and I'll go there to talk about this shotgun.)

Thanks.

·
Registered
645 Posts
buy it! buy it now!

then get a good ten set of 10 round magazines and go from there.

If you get it i will be jelous :thumb: .

·
The end is near.
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maverick88, thanks for commenting! I'm pretty psyched about it.

I noticed there is also a 410 model. I'll be sticking to the 12 gage, but I was wondering why this type of shotgun would come in 410 in the first place. For smaller guys, kids, and women-folk, perhaps? To cut back on the kick? Or are they billing it as a hunting shotgun? It sure doesn't look like it was made for hunting varmints.

Also, I've seen the 20 round drum for sale. Would you say the 10 round magazines would be better for what I've got in mind?

I saw this shotgun being billed as extremely reliable under adverse conditions like an AK is. Can you comment on that, please?

I've seen these on U-Tube before and they look like one heck of a lot of fun to me. And I really like the fact that it'll take different types of 12 gage ammo, from slugs to buckshot. I'm going for it just as soon as I get an answer from the seller.

Thanks again for posting comments.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Some people try to make claims that the shotguns are a little finicky with low power shot but the two I've shot cycled them fine right out of the box. In addition to the 10 round mag and the 20 round drum there is a 30 round drum, 5, 2, and soon to be 12 round box magazine. The Saiga 12 is fun to shoot. and there's an ever expanding source of after-market parts to pretty much do with it what you want. I'd suggest checking out http://forum.saiga-12.com/ for more in depth information and seeing what other's have done to their guns.

·
The end is near.
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link. I was looking at the pretty pictures and I've got a question or two more.

I noticed that some of the Saiga 12 shotguns had short barrels on them. How is that legal?

What type of ammo do you use in this and why, in terms of self defense? (Slugs, buckshot, ect...) I'd just like someone to point out what they use which ammo for and why or for which situation, if you wouldn't mind.

Another thing I like about this firearm is that it uses shotgun shells as opposed to easily banned calibers of ammo, like AR's and AK's do. If AR/AK ammo gets banned I'd still have a battle weapon that I can work with and resupply my own ammo via reloading.

How is it that this weapon isn't discussed at this site more? It seems to cover a lot of ground in terms of survival hunting and self defense. Do survivalists just not know much about it or have they decided that it's not all that useful?

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
the saiga 12 is extremely reliable. and yes, it is used by the russian army and spetznaz. and it is very fun to shoot! my uncle has one and its just....feels right, ya know?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Maverick88, thanks for commenting! I'm pretty psyched about it.

I noticed there is also a 410 model. I'll be sticking to the 12 gage, but I was wondering why this type of shotgun would come in 410 in the first place. For smaller guys, kids, and women-folk, perhaps? To cut back on the kick? Or are they billing it as a hunting shotgun? It sure doesn't look like it was made for hunting varmints.

My speculation on the .410 in the form of a saiga is that if you had a full auto model it would make a mean little room sweeper. I don't think I mentioned this in the why .410 thread i started, but I think that the low recoil and thin frame of the .410 shell would make a good machiene gun round :thumb: .

Imagine a 50 round drum on full auto :eek: ..... make a tommy gun look like a toy, LOL. Basicaly the best use I could see for the round IMHO.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the link. I was looking at the pretty pictures and I've got a question or two more.

I noticed that some of the Saiga 12 shotguns had short barrels on them. How is that legal?

What type of ammo do you use in this and why, in terms of self defense? (Slugs, buckshot, ect...) I'd just like someone to point out what they use which ammo for and why or for which situation, if you wouldn't mind.

Another thing I like about this firearm is that it uses shotgun shells as opposed to easily banned calibers of ammo, like AR's and AK's do. If AR/AK ammo gets banned I'd still have a battle weapon that I can work with and resupply my own ammo via reloading.

How is it that this weapon isn't discussed at this site more? It seems to cover a lot of ground in terms of survival hunting and self defense. Do survivalists just not know much about it or have they decided that it's not all that useful?
1) you can get a Short Barrel Shotgun Tax stamp from the BATFE that allows you to cut the barrel down below the standard 18"

2) The saiga 12 has an adjustable gas regulator to switch between high and low power rounds. Generally the Saiga 12 won't cycle less than lethal or other specialty rounds but any kind of normal shot, buckshot, or slug should fire through the weapon without issue.

3) the saiga 12 was hard to come by for a while since the old importer stopped importing them, up until recently no new Saiga 12's came into the country for a few years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts