Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the good old stae of NY...... Only pre-1994 magazines are allowed. I hear AK's like country of origin mags for reliability.

What does 7.62x39 Saiag conversions typical like as far as surplus mags go. I have the all steel and black ones with corrugated sides and a slide in steel base in 30 round. No clue what origin they are.

Saiga's in the mail......

·
Bad Guy
802 Posts
I live in the good old stae of NY...... Only pre-1994 magazines are allowed. I hear AK's like country of origin mags for reliability.

What does 7.62x39 Saiag conversions typical like as far as surplus mags go. I have the all steel and black ones with corrugated sides and a slide in steel base in 30 round. No clue what origin they are.

I think you'd have a hard time making that Saiga not function. Any Eastern bloc manufacture will work along with Bulgarian and Arsenal Inc. polymer. You bought an outstanding rifle.

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts

It is kind of an internet falsehood that they perform best with mags of country of origin, at least I haven't run into this issue. In my 7.62x39 Saiga I have used Romanian steel magazines, E. German steel magazines, and Bulgarian Circle 10 waffle polymer magazines, as well as a pro-Mag 5-rounder.

I haven't has a single issue.

In my 5.45x39 I have used Izhmash bakelites, E. German Bakelite, and a steel Romanian WASR-2 5-rounder. Again without any feed problems.

For the 7.62 I prefer the fit and feel of the Bulgarian Waffle magazines, there is a guy out of Ohio on Gunbroker that sell them as Pre-Ban for about 40 bucks total. THey are worth it.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
It irks the hell out of me that we have to pay $25 for "pre ban" mags when almost everybody else can buy $9 steel mags.

I envy you a bit. I really want a converted saiga, but alas I just lost my job. I figure it'll cost me at least $1000 to set it up the way I want it, with mags, a scope ect. Right now, I can't even really afford the base rifle.

I'm never getting rid of my sks, makes all sense in the world living in this God forsaken state.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts