Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
regular
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://survivalblog.com/letter-re-experience-with-wells-fargo-safe-deposit-box/

Disclaimer: This URL is obviously a pointer to another survival site, Survivalblog.com.

It shows an extreme example of where things have gone extremely wrong when using safety deposit boxes.

I think that normally this is something I would probably just let go. I have had and used safety deposit boxes before in my life with no ill results. In one example, in my youth, I had an ever growing coin collection. At some point my parents deemed the value of my coins to be enough that they did not want them stored in their house.

I think that the reason the whole safety deposit box is hitting home so hard right now for me, is that a couple of weeks ago, I was a lurker in a thread about a gentleman who was going to be away from home and wasn't sure about where to store his firearm as he would be having new/unknown room mates.

In the mist of that discussion, one poster commented that he should get a safety deposit box in a bank and then he should store his fire arm in the safety deposit box. No one thanked this poster for his post. But, aside from myself, no one made any objections to his post.

We have had many discussions concerning "bank holidays" on this board, but that aside, what are you storing in your safety deposit box, aside from your important paperwork (i.e. will, title to house/cars, etc.)? And do you have a "Plan B", if something like what happened to the guy in the original URL happened to you?

·
Registered
22,057 Posts
Don't most banks also have a key?

·
regular
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't most banks also have a key?
Good question.

At any bank I have ever had a safety deposit box at, there where (2) keys, one I would hold an the 2nd that the bank would hold. Both were required to open the box.

As the story goes, the bank did not have a copy of my key, and, if I were to loose it, they (bank) would have to bring in a locksmith to drill out my portion of the lock, and a large fee would be charged to me for that service.

And that story has been pretty consistent.

Did you have a different understanding? Or told a different story from the bank(s) where you have had a safety deposit box?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Good question.

At any bank I have ever had a safety deposit box at, there where (2) keys, one I would hold an the 2nd that the bank would hold. Both were required to open the box.

As the story goes, the bank did not have a copy of my key, and, if I were to loose it, they (bank) would have to bring in a locksmith to drill out my portion of the lock, and a large fee would be charged to me for that service.

And that story has been pretty consistent.

Did you have a different understanding? Or told a different story from the bank(s) where you have had a safety deposit box?
This just happened recently to someone I know. The bank did have to call a locksmith, and the fee was large ($200.00).

·
Registered
22,057 Posts
There's that at least. I was unsure how they handled that.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
We have been slowly cleaning out our boxes. 'Selling' uncles stamp collection; bought a safe 'just for these' papers; having coin collection 'appraised'.

Gramps doesnt trust banks and has become paranoid about another depression.

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts
I worked at a bank and there was no way bank employees could get in without the customer's key as well...other than the locksmith. I'm sure most have rules to adhere to.

·
Banned
557 Posts
When the SHTF most banks will probably shut down to avoid a run on cash withdrawals. In other words you may not have access to your safe deposit box for quite a while... if ever. A floor safe at home is much more practical.

·
Registered
199 Posts
It is illegal to bring a firearm into a bank. How are you going to get it in or out of the safety deposit box?

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
When FDR banned gold and gold certificates, demanding that they be turned in for a lot less than they were worth, the government raided bank safety deposit boxes. No warrant was needed. One man was caught with gold certificates in his box and charged. As I recall, the charge was thrown out on some technicality (not the lack of a warrant). Most who didn’t turn their gold in buried it somewhere.

·
Anvils and Welders
5,034 Posts
It is illegal to bring a firearm into a bank. How are you going to get it in or out of the safety deposit box?
That may be true in some states, but most definitely not true in all states. It is a common occurance to see people open carrying out here when they are in the bank and for every open carry a person sees, I am betting there are several conceals carriers to go with that. Myself though, I don't even like keeping money in a bank, so I would try and come up with a better solution than to leave a firearm in one.

Tex

·
Registered
575 Posts
Safety deposit boxes are in a building that I do not own, and cannot access at will.
I do not use them.
I really have nothing that valuable that I must lock up 24/7/365.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
A lot of people think carrying into a back is against federal law but its not. Even some bank employees will make the same mistake.
Look at the reports from Hurricane Katrina, many people lost whatever they had in the bank when it was underwater.
I keep my important papers in my gun safe so I can get them if I would evac.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts