Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For starters, I'm not an antagonist of any sort. I've learned a lot here, and I hope I've contributed my share. It concerns me when I read posts that indicate the poster cannot imagine surviving a situation without their [sacred cow]. I've been fortunate to have lived in the 3rd world and observed folks survive in horrible conditions without these sacred cows.

Some sacred cows I've observed:
- Bugging In ... great until you can't do it anymore. Will you survive without your stockpiles?
- BOL ... great if you can afford one now. Will you survive without it?
- BOV ... nothing says shoot me like a loud noise, a moving vehicle, large enough to hold alot of stuff. What if you had to go on foot?
- Generators ... I once was dropped off in the middle of texas in 20% starlight, no map, compass or idea where my unit was. I followed the sound of a 4.2KW generator over 3 miles of hilly terrain.
- Community ... can you make it alone if you had to?
- Precious Metals ... I'm hoping they work too, but darn they're heavy to carry.
- Tactical rigging/weapons, etc ... I get paid to hump that stuff. How much is enough?

Don't get me wrong; I value all of those items. But every single one of those items requires greater control on the timing and nature of the crisis than I think any of us should really expect.

My point in posting is to challenge folks to think multi-dimensionally because I would genuinely like more people to survive than not ... I've seen way too many dead. Do a risk analysis of everything, and if you reach a point where you say, "well then I'd just die" I'd challenge you to keep pushing.

Do you have a sacred cow? Would you be open to having it challenged in the interest of increasing the likelihood of your survival?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
For starters, I'm not an antagonist of any sort. I've learned a lot here, and I hope I've contributed my share. It concerns me when I read posts that indicate the poster cannot imagine surviving a situation without their [sacred cow]. I've been fortunate to have lived in the 3rd world and observed folks survive in horrible conditions without these sacred cows.

- Bugging In ... great until you can't do it anymore. Will you survive without your stockpiles?
- BOV ... nothing says shoot me like a loud noise, a moving vehicle, large enough to hold alot of stuff. What if you had to go on foot?
- Generators ... I once was dropped off in the middle of texas in 20% starlight, no map, compass or idea where my unit was. I followed the sound of a 4.2KW generator over 3 miles of hilly terrain.
- Precious Metals ... I'm hoping they work too, but darn they're heavy to carry.
- Tactical rigging/weapons, etc ... I get paid to hump that stuff. How much is enough?

Don't get me wrong; I value all of those items. But every single one of those items requires greater control on the timing and nature of the crisis than I think any of us should really expect.

My point in posting is to challenge folks to think multi-dimensionally because I would genuinely like more people to survive than not ... I've seen way too many dead. Do a risk analysis of everything, and if you reach a point where you say, "well then I'd just die" I'd challenge you to keep pushing.

Do you have a sacred cow? Would you be open to having it challenged in the interest of increasing the likelihood of your survival?
Yes, we all do.

1) Psychiatric medication-I have yet to find a substitute for meds I take for ADHD, OCD, Tourette's, and psychosis.

2) Electricity-I think this is a biggie with almost everyone, thus the "need" for generators. I cook with electricity.

Without 1 I'm less able to deal with the given SHTF anyway. I don't need it to LIVE, but without it I might kill myself or somebody else (although I wouldn't shed a tear for, say, a blue helmet). I probably could live without electricity. I think that virtually ALL of us overestimate our ability to survive in the wilderness. The story of Christopher McCandless (Into The Wild) is instructive-once he went into the Alaskan wilderness, and cut himself off from society, he lived a grand total of 113 days. Unless you have Army Ranger training, you are unlikely to beat that. And even then I'd give you no longer than a year. The fabled Mountain Men of the frontier were lucky to live to the age of 35, at a time when city folk died at 60. And a mountain man had spent his whole life living off the land.

·
Registered
94 Posts
No real sacred cows, I'll do what I must when I must untill it kills me.
Run out of ammo? Bow. Out of arrows? make more. Bow breaks? slingshot and traps. No sling shot? spears ect.... on down the line.
Same for power, it goes out? generator. No fuel? lamps, no fuel for those? fire light. No wood? go to bed when it's dark.

Tactical Gear:
I was paid to carry all that tacticool s**t for 8 years and I'll say this: Have a bunch to choose from to do the right job but actually carry as little as possible.

I'll live till I die but I won't die for lack of trying to stay alive.

Russ

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
No real sacred cows, I'll do what I must when I must untill it kills me.
Run out of ammo? Bow. Out of arrows? make more. Bow breaks? slingshot and traps. No sling shot? spears ect.... on down the line.
Same for power, it goes out? generator. No fuel? lamps, no fuel for those? fire light. No wood? go to bed when it's dark.

Tactical Gear:
I was paid to carry all that tacticool s**t for 8 years and I'll say this: Have a bunch to choose from to do the right job but actually carry as little as possible.

I'll live till I die but I won't die for lack of trying to stay alive.

Russ
This. ^

End of thread.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,561 Posts
I'm sure I have at least one. I think most people do. But I couldn't for the life of me figure out what it is.

Electricity? Pshaw, I have a diesel generator that I bought 12 years ago that's still in the crate. I have absolutely no use for it here. Power is nothing but a convenience. Our ancestors did fine without it and I have planned my survival around it because it's easier that way.

Climate control? I bet that's a LOT of people's sacred cow but they don't realize it. Again with the pshaw. I haven't used it for 20 years. Getting acclimatized to your local region is a lot healthier, especially if you're forced to go without climate control some day.

Even my BOB is sparse and light weight. 45 lbs WITH winter gear, water, rifle, magazines and ammo included. Something that most everyone else conveniently leaves out when talking about how light their BOB is. A little lighter in summer because I remove the winter gear. I spent a lot of time hiking and camping my bug out paths. I learned what I actually need and what I don't. I removed things I don't need.

Even the gun isn't my sacred cow. There isn't anything but small game in my area and that's plenty easy to snare or trap.

Since I have bad knees, maybe a vehicle would count. But afterall, I have hiked my bug out path many times with my pack. So I know I could make it on foot.

I've worked on breaking addictions. No TV, movie or video game addiction here. Not addicted to alcohol or anything else. No techno addiction, in fact I tend to despise "gadget technology" and avoid most of it.

Even my internet useage is for research, business, and emails. I don't play games, download stuff or watch videos. Though I would miss the net immensely because of the large resource that it is. Maybe that's my sacred cow, the internet.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

No Sacred Cows,I once lived in a total electric home for 9 days with out power because of a Ice Storm. Ever since then I have been thinking of life in terms of no electricity. I think the "IT" will effect different parts of the country/world in different ways. As for my stock piles of this or that:D:,I may be one of the lucky ones that got it "right" for how I will be effected. Being a camper,hunter and fisher, with all the equipment for that type stuff , gives me a peace/comfort and flexibility to adapt to what ever changes I may have to make.

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
Hmm... let me see.
Footwear - yep thats pretty sacred.
Clothes - yep hard to survive weather without them.
Glasses - The old eyes don't see them critters without em.
Tools - yep hard to do much of anything without basic tools.

I guess I have a herd of S. cows. Maybe I can do a cattle drive. :cool:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I lived 10 years without electic. On a ridge 6 miles from the nearest road. My grandfather and I grew or raised all of our food or went hungry. Would see maybe 2 or 3 other people the whole summer. Pops

·
Banned
301 Posts
Other sacred cows that you cling to at your peril:

BOB: the ultimate security blanket that secures almost nothing for more than a few days

Nostalgia

A Huge Arsenal

The luxuries of a past civilization: toilet paper, modern medicine, cars, booze, alcohol

·
Just the facts, Ma'am.
2,070 Posts
I'm sort of partial to my CPAP device. I'm pretty sure I'd be toes up without it in a month. That and you could hear me snoring for a longer distance than you tracked that generator! I am working on eliminating that dependence. It just takes a long time to lose 100 pounds and change all of those habits that got me there in the first place.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My understanding of the scared cow question was something you would just lay down and die without.

Not something you would like to have in a specfic event.

The only things I will lay down and die without are air, water, food, and mabey shelter depending on the weather. I'll not lay down and die with out actively doing my best to attain them first.

If you think you cannot live without a bob or a rifle then you have picked the wrong lifestyle.

Russ

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm sort of partial to my CPAP device. I'm pretty sure I'd be toes up without it in a month. That and you could hear me snoring for a longer distance than you tracked that generator! I am working on eliminating that dependence. It just takes a long time to lose 100 pounds and change all of those habits that got me there in the first place.
Hang in there! My father in law lost the weight (100 pounds) little by little and weaned off his last year. You'll get there. :thumb:

·
Registered
323 Posts
My sacred cow would be my family. I can't imagine living without them, nor do I want to.

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,135 Posts
I have half a cow in the freezer. Is that a sacred cow if we say grace before diner?

More likely to bug-in then bug-out. Most local SHTF situations we have responsibilities locally. After that, we still bug-in or become refugees/road warriors.

We are not prepared for the long term yet. Tried to start gardening (everything died).

We are buying a few antiques for nickels and dimes when we find them. Vacuum Sealer-$5, Cheap dehydrator-$5, Cast Iron skillets and pots-$wow.

Have some wheat berries - but no hand grinder.

What is my sacred cow now --- time, time to prepare.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts