Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Livin' off the land
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Survivalist12's Survival Garden Of 2010.

• Radishes
  • Cucumbers
  • Beans
  • Tomatos
  • Lettuces
  • Zulkini
  • Peppers
  • Soybean
  • Green Beans
  • Wax beans
  • Peas
  • Carrots
  • Leeks
  • Melon
  • Broccoli

We spent 5 weekends making this thing. The Wooden boxes are easily transportable and are a great resting bed for the plants and vegetables. We used bamboo sticks for some of the vines to tangle onto. The planting was backbreaking, and we still have plans to plant some large pumpkins weighing around 200 lbs! The fence is fantastic to keep 2 beagles out :).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,135 Posts
That's a great looking setup! It's going to be awesome when it's all big and green and producing. I miss gardening already!

·
Livin' off the land
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We used Some wood that was made for gardening in boxes, that we bought of the internet. I'll look for the website if your interested :).

·
Registered
55 Posts
yea, that would be great, i tried mt first garden this year, i turnd up about a 10ft by 25ft area, and used cement block to line the boarders, not bad but i think ill try to do better next year.

·
more bricks, no straw?
142 Posts
  • Radishes
  • Cucumbers
  • Beans
  • Tomatos
  • Lettuces
  • Zulkini
  • Peppers
  • Soybean
  • Green Beans
  • Wax beans
  • Peas
  • Carrots
  • Leeks
  • Melon
  • Broccoli

We spent 5 weekends making this thing. The Wooden boxes are easily transportable and are a great resting bed for the plants and vegetables. We used bamboo sticks for some of the vines to tangle onto. The planting was backbreaking, and we still have plans to plant some large pumpkins weighing around 200 lbs! The fence is fantastic to keep 2 beagles out :).
That is great! Looks like you live in a nice part of the country. It's tough when one lives in severe climates...

What did it mean that you were going to plant 200# pumpkins???

·
Livin' off the land
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is great! Looks like you live in a nice part of the country. It's tough when one lives in severe climates...

What did it mean that you were going to plant 200# pumpkins???

200 pound pumpkins :)

·
Raving Loony
2,253 Posts
That's awesome. Something like that I could probably get going here. What are the total dimensions on your garden area???? Wanting to know if I could carry off adding something like this to our backyard.

What do you do for watering???? I thought I saw a drip watering system in one of those beds. I've got to get something set up that's not dependent on me with a bucket.

·
Livin' off the land
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update #1

UPDATE:

The tomatos are growing! I got a ripe one, and a few smaller ones. The peppers are getting bigger, and im just so excited!, we sowed a few more radish seeds, and the other ones are almost complete!

Unfortunately, we had to completely take all of the plants out of the garden (Don't worry, all the plants were saved and replanted in the garden again) Because there was too much alkaline in the soil. Some of the flowers may look a little flimsy and that's because of the high alkaline in the soil. We mixed the soil with some natural compost and other soil and it should be O.K. Now, thank god!

Attachments

·
Livin' off the land
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE:

I Can't see a thing with all this green!

Most of the vegetables have been a fantastic meal. I even tried something new this year, which is, ROASTED Radishes with salt and pepper... Makes them taste like a Potato!

New Garden Pics:

Attachments

·
Μολὼν λαβ
1,199 Posts
are you growing organically? What are you using for insect control? Bugs ate my broccoli and tomatoes :(

·
Livin' off the land
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I use natural insect repellent that I picked up from Home Depot.

·
planner and prepper
403 Posts
UPDATE:

The tomatos are growing! I got a ripe one, and a few smaller ones. The peppers are getting bigger, and im just so excited!, we sowed a few more radish seeds, and the other ones are almost complete!

Unfortunately, we had to completely take all of the plants out of the garden (Don't worry, all the plants were saved and replanted in the garden again) Because there was too much alkaline in the soil. Some of the flowers may look a little flimsy and that's because of the high alkaline in the soil. We mixed the soil with some natural compost and other soil and it should be O.K. Now, thank god!

Where did you find those nifty connectors to turn standard green garden stakes into tomato cages? I would prefer using them to the wire cages. never seen them, but would like to fiind them. Thanks

Nice looking garden.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts