Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
looks like a nice ankle gun. Twould be a pain to fit it into my big ol hands though.

·
Prepared not crazy.
245 Posts
I love my 642, great for summer canceled carry. But with 357 mag rounds feels like your hand was hit with a hammer.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
I love my 642, great for summer canceled carry. But with 357 mag rounds feels like your hand was hit with a hammer.
I didn't think you could load .357 rounds in them? I have one, I thought they were only for .38+P. Not that I'd try it... standard rounds are bad enough. :) I can handle about half a box and I'm done.

·
keep your powder dry
314 Posts
If you're firing .357 in a Smith 642 (its .38+p only), your liable to have no more hand left, friend :D:

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts
Sooch00,

You videos are always well thought out and to the pont. This one is no different. Great review. Folks, right after you subscribe to Kev's channel........

·
Experiment 626
2,311 Posts
The .357 version is the 340pd.. I have one on me at all times. It only weighs 11oz empty and that= hellacious recoil with .357 ammo. SO, most of the time I keep it loaded with corbon .38spl DPX rounds. It is the biggest bang per ounce that I have found.

That being said, I usually carry a glock 36 (.45 singlestack) as well, and would MUCH rather use it if situation allowed. But it is just so damn easy to drop the 340pd with nemesis pocket holster into my pocket and forget about it.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
my bug pistol has this type of sighting system for quick aiming when drawing and fireing at close range and no snag on the draw from the ankle holster or vest holster ..

Attachments

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
The .357 version is the 340pd.. I have one on me at all times. It only weighs 11oz empty and that= hellacious recoil with .357 ammo. SO, most of the time I keep it loaded with corbon .38spl DPX rounds. It is the biggest bang per ounce that I have found.

That being said, I usually carry a glock 36 (.45 singlestack) as well, and would MUCH rather use it if situation allowed. But it is just so damn easy to drop the 340pd with nemesis pocket holster into my pocket and forget about it.
Yep...thats why I like my 642...goes into just about any pocket.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I won't ever say the snubbie is dead but it is badly outclassed by the Kahr PM9 and Glock 26 in almost every category. I just looked at a Kahr P380. Too small for my mitts but it's probably very well made.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I won't ever say the snubbie is dead but it is badly outclassed by the Kahr PM9 and Glock 26 in almost every category. I just looked at a Kahr P380. Too small for my mitts but it's probably very well made.
I don't really see why a snubbie revolver would be outclassed by a compact semi-auto. I like both revolvers and semi-autos and like them all...each have their positives and negatives. I own a Smith 642..not a high cap weapon for sure. But...for what it was designed to do....no semi-auto can beat it. It's for close in...personal butt saving....and can still be in your coat pocket and be employed if one doesn't have time to draw....and fire all 5 rounds. No semi-auto can do this. And revolvers aren't picky about ammo...if a cartridge goes in the cylinder...it will fire...every time. The biggest drawbacks are ammo capacity and reloading time. I do like semis...but the little 642 goes in my pocket...doesn't snag..and is perfectly safe doing it.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I don't really see why a snubbie revolver would be outclassed by a compact semi-auto. I like both revolvers and semi-autos and like them all...each have their positives and negatives. I own a Smith 642..not a high cap weapon for sure. But...for what it was designed to do....no semi-auto can beat it. It's for close in...personal butt saving....and can still be in your coat pocket and be employed if one doesn't have time to draw....and fire all 5 rounds. No semi-auto can do this. And revolvers aren't picky about ammo...if a cartridge goes in the cylinder...it will fire...every time. The biggest drawbacks are ammo capacity and reloading time. I do like semis...but the little 642 goes in my pocket...doesn't snag..and is perfectly safe doing it.
Quite true but they suffer badly from ergonomics, shootability and practical accuracy under duress. Even at 5-7 yards. Beyond, you are nearly defenseless. They give me the most problems when teaching. The ladies I teach frequently discard them after they take a course. Many go with the Glock 26.

If you practice and train with an auto but carry your snubbie to be comfortable... very foolish.

Firing inside the pocket is quite rare; I can only think of a handful of instances. More than one round is rarer still. The little Kahr weighs less, less bulk, holds more rds of more potent ammo and is far easier to handle. They are smokin' accurate and will work for almost everyone. Try one and see.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Quite true but they suffer badly from ergonomics, shootability and practical accuracy under duress. Even at 5-7 yards. Beyond, you are nearly defenseless. They give me the most problems when teaching. The ladies I teach frequently discard them after they take a course. Many go with the Glock 26.

If you practice and train with an auto but carry your snubbie to be comfortable... very foolish.

Firing inside the pocket is quite rare; I can only think of a handful of instances. More than one round is rarer still. The little Kahr weighs less, less bulk, holds more rds of more potent ammo and is far easier to handle. They are smokin' accurate and will work for almost everyone. Try one and see.
I've looked at the Kahr. Nice pistols. I wouldn't think we're rare..my wife and I can hit fine with the little 642....the grip and frame design allows your hand to ride very high and this minimizes recoil. I keep Hornady 110 grain +P loads in it and my wife's 4" 586. She doesn't care for the snubbie as much as the 586. However, she can easily hit pie plates at 10 yards with either revolver, so across the room hits on a man would be no problem for her. I've never owned a Glock but shot a few. They shot well however, I prefer a weapon that will handle reloads whether it be revolver or semi-auto. With the stock Glock barrels, reloads (cast bullets) can be a problem according to the Glock experts. I generally shoot jacketed slugs in my autos but want the option of shooting cast bullets if I have to and according to the experts cast bullets are a no-no in the Glocks. I also prefer a weapom with multiple strike capability in the event of a hard primer or other misfire. Can't do that with a Glock...not sure about the Kahr. I own a Taurus Millenium Pro 9mm..not as small as the Kahr but it shhots well and fills the bill....100% reliable so far....600 rounds. But I think for the intended purpose of the Smith 642...it's perfect...close-in last ditch save your butt lead slingin. I haven't seen a semi-auto that permits contact firing either. But...that said..I own and like semis. I do believe though that anyone in the home who may need to use a weapon needs to feel comfortable with that weapon. My wife is very comfortble with the Smith double action revolvers...and they work with any round that fits in the cylinder. Just my humble observations of course.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Funny for a design every time it is mentioned some one chimes in about how obsolete they are people keep buying them. Their virtues are undeniable. I got one (642) and am trying hard for my precious but gun phobic wife to fall for it. No other pistols have the instructions simply point and pull the trigger.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a S&W 442 two years ago and it is the gun I carry most often. I have several other choices in larger calibers but this is the gun which is on me most of the time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts