Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I took the oath, you?
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a S&W 5906 in great shape, (not police trade in).

Tritium Tru Dot sights
5-15 round and 1-10 round mags
200 rounds crap ammo
Bianchi nylon 2 mag holder
1 leather pancake holster
1 duty holster
range bag

$300. :eek:

Toughts on gun and $$$?

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
my toughts?

Sounds like you got a GREAT deal!
Are the sights still bright?

Best advice i can offer is to avoid using aftermarket mags for serious self-defense. They're only useful for the range and practice.
S&W factory mags are painfully expensive.

Lots of good ammo choices available in 9mm:

Speer 124gr +P & 147gr Gold Dot
R-P 124gr +P & 147gr Golden Saber
Federal 124gr & 147gr HST [NOT Hydra-Shok]
W-W 127gr +P+ & 147gr Ranger T
Corbon 115gr DPX
Hornady 124gr & 147gr XTP

·
I took the oath, you?
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is my 2nd 9mm. The first is a Ruger P85 which feeds like a hog. I will and have depended my life on it.

The mags I got are all factory mags and loaded out with...You guessed it,
Hornady 124gr TAP.

And yes, the sights are still bright. That was a bonus because the seller didn't tell me they were on it.

·
Camper #9
514 Posts
You should be arrested for stealing. I love those 3rd generation guns. I have 5906 and 5903's and would not part with them. Tough, accurate, and very reliable. Now go get yourself a Marlin Camp-9 so you can use all your pistol mags in the carbine too. Life will be good .

·
I took the oath, you?
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trigger is great in both DA/SA. Seller said it had about 400 rounds through it.

After 2 mags thru it to get a handle on the heft, recoil etc... Very man size kill shot accurate out to 25 yards. Good enough for me.

I didn't expect to get all the extras with it.:D:

·
American fearmaker
14,248 Posts
Most of the major problems with the S&W 5906 were taken care of many years ago. The main thing to do to keep them running right is frequently clean them. Outside of that, you'll probably be alright with it. Illinois State Police used them for a number of years as a duty gun and they proved pretty reliable.

·
Bad *** XDm!
100 Posts
Your milage may vary of course but i bought one a couple years ago in stainless and that thing jammed more than metallica.I tried 5 different kinds of ammo and different mags.every 3 or 4 rds and jam.probably just a lemon though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
At that price it was outright theft. As some noted the 59 series were a bit inconsistent in reliability but they were nice to shoot. If you can run it hard through a bunch of mags with no failure then you are good to go. If it chokes regularly then you will know why the price was so great.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,677 Posts
5906, good 9mm, shoot mine a lot and have no problems with it. Got 6 mags and can use them in my Kel Tec P11.

·
I took the oath, you?
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The same day I put over 200 rounds down range with it.

Not one Hiccup. Gun was clean, lubed properly and the feed ramp felt like a baby's butt.

Not that a deputy keeps guns clean, but he did.

The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home.

~James Madison

·
Banned
32 Posts
5906 mags and sights

Are the 3rd Gen 5906 sights true Novaks? I am looking to add tritium to my newly acquired 5906. If the sights are cut the same as 1911 Novaks, those are plentiful.

I am also trying to find magazines. They used to be plentiful, but lately, nothing.

I am seeing some Eagle brand mags, and wondering how good they are. I also saw MecGar makes mags and so does ProMag.

Any suggestions?

·
Urban Game Warden (Ret)
22 Posts
The original S&W 59's were spotty. If you got a good one, you were ok, Many I heard about weren't.

Smith cleaned up their act with the third generation. The 5906 is a good pistol. $300 made it even better. ;)
Yep. I had one of the early 59's. Carried it as an off-duty gun for awhile, it handled hardball OK but it had trouble with hollow points (this was in the early days of hollow points). Feed ramp had to be re-worked and so did the design of hollow point bullets. Today's designs are much improved.

When my department switched to semi-autos, they issued the 5906 and they were excellent. You got a good deal. Even the police trade-ins are a good buy if you come across one. The vast majority of them get carried a lot and shot a little.

·
Camper #9
514 Posts
Are the 3rd Gen 5906 sights true Novaks? I am looking to add tritium to my newly acquired 5906. If the sights are cut the same as 1911 Novaks, those are plentiful.

I am also trying to find magazines. They used to be plentiful, but lately, nothing.

I am seeing some Eagle brand mags, and wondering how good they are. I also saw MecGar makes mags and so does ProMag.

Any suggestions?
If you can't find S&W mags, I know the Mec-Gar's will work just fine. They make the S&W mags. Lately I've only seen the blue and nickel models though.

·
Registered
316 Posts
SSBN642Blue - that was a steal!! My Dad had a M59 for years and loved it - but the Smith 59 - 5900 series never fit my big,fat hand. That is definitely a Great find for the price. Off thread question - did you have any screen doors on the Kamehameha ?? old Destroyer guy - I couldn't hold my breath long enough for sub duty(ha). Calm Winds and a Following Sea.

·
I took the oath, you?
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My brother carries a 6906 on duty that shoots great, but I like a larger frame, the 5906 fits my hand great.

Nope, no screen doors at all. Close the hatches and see you 72 days later.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.