Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
On the way to the gallows
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a hankering for a old time taste so I whipped up a recipe that hit the spot. Mom used to take chipped beef and soak it in milk for a half hour or so to remove the saltiness while sauteing some onion in butter. Then stir-in flour to make a roux and add milk and a good amount of black pepper. When smooth and thick add the chipped beef and heat.

Great over buttered toast. I remember there was a dry packaged version you could buy in the soup section and all you had to do was add milk and heat. That was pretty good too if you made it lumpy but it has long since disappeared off the shelves, or has it?

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
I have a 1945 Navy cookbook for the ship's cook. It's a great cookbook for cooking for crowds, as all the recipes serve 100! SOS is in there. Not by that name, of course.

Attachments

·
Registered
671 Posts
My mother made this all the time when we were growing up, it was great.
Then I saw it in the mess hall and had it. Amazing how the military cooks could ruin everything.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I make it frequently! My kids love it, and I never lost the taste for it after I got out of the Army. I use ground meat (beef, lamb, deer, goat...) or sausage (pork, deer, goat...) and brown it, add flour to soak up the grease, add more fat or grease if necessary. Add some salt and pepper to taste, other seasonings as desired, stir until flour is well mixed into the meat and fat (a roux, but don't brown the flour). Then slowly stir in milk, keep the heat at about medium, and keep stirring until it is thick, and there you go. I usually add more black pepper right before it goes to table...this is the South, and you can never have too much black pepper! And being Texas, in a lot of dishes you can never have too much of any other kind of pepper either!

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Love SOS, one of the things I did enjoy from my early days in the Army. Back in 1964 the old Army cook in our mess hall in Germany did a outstanding SOS on Sunday mornings.
Now the wife does it for me from time to time.

Reactions: WSierra

·
Registered
694 Posts
We used to have that when I was a kid. It's not something I ever had a hankering for.
BTW my parents used to also make us eat fish rowe (sp?) ick

·
17 Oaks Ranch Tx
3,890 Posts
Grew up eating that stuff and love and miss it.

Nothing like 2 slices of toast, SOS (using hamburger) ladled on top not sparingly and then 2 sunny side up eggs on top of that, get real loose with the pepper shaker and that is EATING!

I will tell you this: My mom made me that only using 4 slices of toast and 4 eggs. Then head out in the truck as the sun is coming up to the hay fields and throw 115 lb bales of hay around till about noon. Then on the way back in to the barn stop off at A&W Root Beer, get 2 double meat burgers with double fries and a quart of root beer. Spend the rest of the afternoon loading hay UP in the barn by throwing it from the bed of the truck, think you are hungry at supper time...YOU THINK?

Now you only got 3,500 bales of Alfalfa to go and the ONLY machinery was my two arms from field to barn.

·
Seeker of Wisdom
188 Posts
Stouffers makes this! You can get it frozen!
But it's hard to find here - the local grocery stores don't keep it in stock. Checked this morning at Giant, as a matter of fact, and it's not in the freezer section, although I've bought it there in the past. Don't think I've ever seen it at Wegmans either.

Jack

·
On the way to the gallows
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another favorite was Welsh Rarebit. A thick, cheddar cheese sauce made with beer ladled over two toasted and buttered English muffins cut in halves with several strips of crisp bacon laid on top. Decadent to say the least. The Stouffer's version of the sauce is just as good, too.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
We used to have that when I was a kid. It's not something I ever had a hankering for.
BTW my parents used to also make us eat fish rowe (sp?) ick
yep use to do fish rowe and scrambled eggs as a kid on the farm.

Reactions: East Coast Woods
1 - 20 of 58 Posts