Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.greenisthenewred.com/blog/2008/10/10/sheriff-buys-a-tank/

http://www.policemag.com/News/2008/...rmored-Vehicle-with-Belt-Fed-Machine-Gun.aspx

S.C. Sheriff's Department Armored Vehicle with Belt-Fed Machine Gun

The Richland County (S.C.) Sheriff's Department has acquired an armored personnel carrier complete with a turret-mounted .50-caliber belt-fed machine gun for its Special Response Team.

Sheriff Leon Lott told the Columbia State newspaper that he hoped the vehicle, named "The Peacemaker," would let the bad guys know that his officers are serious.

"We don't look at this as a killing machine," Lott told the paper. "It's going to keep the peace. We hope the fact that we have this is going to save lives. When something like this rolls up, it's time to give up."

·
Aquaholic
4,905 Posts
dude...that's like a year old (SERIOUSLY old post). and it's parked about 1/2 mile from me as we speak. looks nasty on the tarmac.

·
Time for Common Sense...
132 Posts
"We don't look at this as a killing machine," Lott told the paper. "It's going to keep the peace. We hope the fact that we have this is going to save lives. When something like this rolls up, it's time to give up."

That's Rich !!!
Keep that hope going man...

Photo is supposed to make folks step back and say whoa, I guess...

Keep that thing in your state, sherrf...don't bring it up to my state to " hold the peace "...1-I got no beef with LE...2-If it gets to where you'd actually need it I guarantee you'll lose it up here and btw that's not enough folks pictured to be able to keep it...also btw it's not as up-armored as what most folks might think it is.
What a hoot !!!

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Here's a story I heard about riots during the 1960's in Newark, NJ. The Ironbound section of Newark is predominantly a Portuguese community. One of the residents had a tank in his garage. He pulled it out during the riots and parked it at the end of his block. Along with a few friends with rifles and shotguns, no one messed with the Ironbound section. I do know the validity of the story, just passing it on. I guess a tank does some good in privately owned hands as well.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
a 2 inch wide steel bar stuck in thr ground at an angle and you turn that 113 into a pillbox

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
kool makes a great spring festival display. Prolly costs more than plastic explosives and remote garage door opener,

·
just doin my job..
421 Posts
5 guys with big guns pointed at me and a guy in a white suit with his hands in his pockets.. you'd better hope I don't have a gun on me because thats not how we go about making peace here...

its cute tho :)

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I guess things like this are the building blocks of an american style soviet MVD secuirty force.Or South Carolina has the toughest crackheads on the face of the earth.

Reactions: Lamb

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
It's an armored military vehicle in the hands of a civilian police force. Police being militarized...is the real point of this thread.
I have several friends that are cops.

I don't mind them having something to hide behind if they haveto go up against a Active shooter.

...Like I said... that's not that great cover against someone who knows.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
found out in service that modern MBR ammunition will not go through the aluminum armor of an M-113, it only goes through one side and rattles around a bit.

·
Unlocked and loaded
1,161 Posts
Real Glad,

My tax dollars didn't pay for that. Ya right probably federally funded.

Keep your senses sharp and your weapons loaded and ready.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I wonder if the Hamilton County sheriff's department still has theirs?

During the "April Riots" of 2001, the situation in the Over the Rhine part of Cincinnati was violent enough to rate the use of the M-113. But, with the New Black Panthers (NBP) in town, the sheriff and Chief of Police decided not to risk it.

Let us not miss the fact that a small group of leftist militants, in this case a squad size contingent of the NBP, put the fear of God in the APC crew, their leaders, and any supporting "infantry".

I lived in Cinci during that period, and was very wired in to local politics.

Here's a short video about the rioting: http://xrl.us/othuf

Mitch

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
big city SWAT teams have had armored APC type vehicles for YEARS. I wonder how much those Dunbar and Brinks armored trucks are used..?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts