Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Just Me
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am curious as to what others are doing with regards to stocking up on prescription medications. I am not talking Advil and Tylenol or cough syrup. What about blood pressure meds, heart meds, insulin....these type things?

I did do a search and did not find anything related, though I am sure this has probably been discussed before my arrival to the boards. Sorry if this is rehashing old topics. If anyone has links to other threads, that would be appreciated.
Thanks!!

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
Stock up on as much as you can afford (while keeping in mind how much you use per month and what the expiration date(s) are for each medication).

Many people have a hard time getting/finding a doctor (or someone with an RX pad) that will write them the RX for so many advanced doses.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
When I was caretaking my father I found out that when you bought a 30 day supply of pharmacy meds you could then repurchase at 21 days. This I did repeatedly and no one questioned anything. However, this was at least four and one half years ago, he passed and I had no need for myself so things could have changed, probably will real soon.

·
Elizabeth A. Davis
860 Posts
blood pressure and anything related with diet and exercise control is what i'm doing. I am now almost off my blood pressure meds. my only problem would be the anticonvulsant. even though I had been off it before. migraines are better and I am using otc now as much as possible and like lotion for psoriasis instead of prescription med. inhaler only need when bronchitis is real bad and that's like once a year. exercise for scoliosis.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a doc who was practicing in Russia during their hyperinflation. Even in a hospital setting, they were running out of meds and people were trading treatment for food and chickens. So, yea, stock up on meds you use and rotate them. Some degenerate with time but will still be effective. The military has done studies to look at how long meds are useful for so they don't have to keep buying them over and over. Look it up. Cipro was the most eye opening, good for 10 years.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
fortunately where i live, everything from cardiac to diabetes to thyroid, anti-malaria, you -name-it are all available over the counter. only exceptions are narcotics. i buy whatever i want: antibiotics, cardiac meds, thyroid meds, anti-seizure, anti-fungal, etc. just by asking for it. sure is nice not having to talk a doc into writing you a prescription for everything you might need.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I own my own pharmacy, so I worry very little about SHTF. Advice for those on meds? Get an rx for 1 yr, fill it all at Wal-Mart using the $4 generic list and buy 360 days worth at a time. If it is not on the list, have your MD change your rx to something on the list ;)

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
Besides the $4/ month generic program they have a $10/ 3 months. Also free mail order. 3 months is about all insurance will cover but at these prices your copay is likely higher so see if paying cash is cheaper.

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
If your doc will write a 1 year scrip, you can still fill it 1 month at a time if the insurance requires it.

However, if the meds aren't that expensive, you can also purchase them without insurance for the whole year. My only Rx is for a fairly inexpensive daily pill and I can easily pay for a years worth at a time. Getting a year's worth is cheaper than buying them 1 month at a time, so there is a bit more savings there as well.

Also, every year I move up my physical by a month and that resets my scrip a month earlier giving me 1 more months meds each year. After doing this a few years, and using the 3 month scrip fill at the pharmacy, I can have between 7 and 10 months of meds at any given time.

Az

·
Ordinary Average Guy
1,235 Posts
I have occasionally skipped or missed taking my meds. I get them filled by the calendar, not when the bottle is empty. I am now at a 2 month supply on the shelf. I know it isn't a lot/enough but nothing I have is life threatening, especially after the crash diet & weight loss SHTF will bring on.....

In the last half of the 70's I worked at a regional chain drug store. The majority of our sales were blood pressure, birth control and valium. Sure there were other things, but that was the most of it. We could fill a script in 10 minutes or so while the person shopped or waited. I really don't understand why things have changed so much. Seems like there is a pill for everything and now it takes them a minimum of an hour to count out 30 tablets, put it in a bottle and apply a label. Oh and now there are several Pharmacy Techs helping the Pharmacist, our store had a Pharmacist, and occasionally he asked one of us high school clerks to give him a hand with typing the labels. The western world has gone to crap...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts