Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,



I found 2 old cans of wild pink salmon (in water) in an cabinet I had not checked in a long time :(
I cannot find an expiration date...

1 can is rusted on the outside (just 1 side of it)
The other can, since it looked ok, I figured it was safe, when I opened it, I saw black rust dots on the inside top. I touched it, and it is rust.

I took a small taste, it seems ok. Do you think it is OK to eat?
I would hate to let it go to waste, but if you think its not safe, I will throw it away.
I figure if this happens in a survival situation/disaster & you found a rusted
can, would you still eat what was inside?

Many thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
Don't eat it

Hi,



I found 2 old cans of wild pink salmon (in water) in an cabinet I had not checked in a long time :(
I cannot find an expiration date...

1 can is rusted on the outside (just 1 side of it)
The other can, since it looked ok, I figured it was safe, when I opened it, I saw black rust dots on the inside top. I touched it, and it is rust.

I took a small taste, it seems ok. Do you think it is OK to eat?
I would hate to let it go to waste, but if you think its not safe, I will throw it away.
I figure if this happens in a survival situation/disaster & you found a rusted
can, would you still eat what was inside?

Many thanks!
When in doubt throw it out.

Botulism is deadly.

If you don't eat them before they rust, throw out the rusted cans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,273 Posts
Hi,



I found 2 old cans of wild pink salmon (in water) in an cabinet I had not checked in a long time :(
I cannot find an expiration date...

1 can is rusted on the outside (just 1 side of it)
The other can, since it looked ok, I figured it was safe, when I opened it, I saw black rust dots on the inside top. I touched it, and it is rust.

I took a small taste, it seems ok. Do you think it is OK to eat?
I would hate to let it go to waste, but if you think its not safe, I will throw it away.
I figure if this happens in a survival situation/disaster & you found a rusted
can, would you still eat what was inside?

Many thanks!
Warning. Do not ever take a small taste of canned food that possibly is bad. Though botulism is rare, it lives in air tight containers. It has no signs of spoilage,and no taste. Just a tiny taste can make you very sick and can kill you within days.

Always boil any can food before eating it.

Though rust is considered contamination, I don't think it is a dangerous this to eat in very small amounts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Someone els might have an explanation why it’s safe to eat, but I wouldn't touch it unless it was my last stores and I was starving. Rust its self isn’t bad; it’s just iron and oxygen. But what els has contaminated the food? Food grade cans are stainless or coated to stop rust. So what els is in the food now that the container is breaking down. And can you be sure the seal is still intact?


edit: He said rust spots on the inside of the can lid.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,670 Posts
I must be going crazy; I could swear I already replied to your thread...

Anyway, rust is not toxic and will not cause you any harm if ingested. It is just oxidized iron molecules.

Botulism is a toxin produced by the bacteria Clostridium Botulinum and it doesn't have anything in common with rust. In canned food, botulism is a result of improperly canned food.

Like others have said, unless you're starving and have no choice, chuck it. Why take a risk for a dollar?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,273 Posts
I must be going crazy; I could swear I already replied to your thread...

Anyway, rust is not toxic and will not cause you any harm if ingested. It is just oxidized iron molecules.

Botulism is a toxin produced by the bacteria Clostridium Botulinum and it doesn't have anything in common with rust. In canned food, botulism is a result of improperly canned food.

Like others have said, unless you're starving and have no choice, chuck it. Why take a risk for a dollar?
There are 2 of them. LOL I thought the same thing. LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
I wouldn't trust it even if on the outside of can, especially if the can old or is puffed up. for me it depends of the contents, meats vs vegis id go with vegis plants types etc, if you have old (whatever) it could make a better lure to catch living prey (whatever you think would want to eat fish) then threatening your health by eating it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,273 Posts
LOL I wasn't thinking about Salmon when I said boiling. I should have said cook well.

Salmon croquettes are very good. Mix 1 egg some onion and a small amount of cornmeal with the Salmon and fry it. It is quite yummy.

I would not recommend boiling it.

There are some can goods that I do eat out of a can such as cling peaches. I am mainly talking about older can good or dented ones. Mainly be careful and use common sense. If you are worried about spoilage, never taste it to test it.
 

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
Joined
·
10,933 Posts
Rust? Surface rust is usually not a big deal. If it went all the way through the lid I would pass unless it was the only thing left. Bulging lid? Don't even open it, bury it. Tasting to see if contaminated? Think Darwin award candidate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,652 Posts
I must be going crazy; I could swear I already replied to your thread...

Anyway, rust is not toxic and will not cause you any harm if ingested. It is just oxidized iron molecules.

Botulism is a toxin produced by the bacteria Clostridium Botulinum and it doesn't have anything in common with rust. In canned food, botulism is a result of improperly canned food.

Like others have said, unless you're starving and have no choice, chuck it. Why take a risk for a dollar?
Hint: If you had, you would have seen it posted. I feel this is a question that is ok to repeat many times because it deals with food safety. Why not just come out and say it, just because it was posted before, who knows how long ago, since you have been a member since 2008, all new member should do extensive research before they have the "nerve" to ask something that may have been asked before. Feeling a bit superior, are we?
 

·
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Joined
·
6,767 Posts
If the eust is on the outside only it should be ok. If it is on the inside I would feed it to the cat.
my cat woud not eat it. I'd feed it to an exwife:D:to check for spoilage press the top of the can if it clicks then throw it out. also with cans check for bulges if found throw away.
 

·
Krazy Kitty
Joined
·
5,007 Posts
We always date our cans with magic marker. Makes it easier to rotate if the date is in big numbers. Last night I went to open a can of spaghetti sauce from 2009 and sauce exploded everywhere. Threw that one away. I opened one from 2008 and it was fine. If we accidentally get a dented can from the store we use it first instead of putting it in the stocks. Not taking any chances.
 

·
Left the building
Joined
·
9,363 Posts
Now that's all that's cleared up....where are you storing cans that they rust in the first place? Are you storing things in a damp place? You're not storing can on a concrete floor are you? It'll wick up moisture sometimes.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,755 Posts
Hi,



I found 2 old cans of wild pink salmon (in water) in an cabinet I had not checked in a long time :(
I cannot find an expiration date...
Call me picky and peculiar but I'm not much on eagerness with eating canned things I just "found" that have rust on them.

However, I've eaten jar-canned meat, of which the lid had started to see rust without being dated. But then I knew the year and general time it was preserved too.

Rusted over can of fish, particularly fish, I don't know.
 

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
Joined
·
68,539 Posts
Simmer it for 10 minutes just in case of botulism. Heat breaks down the botulism toxin. NEVER taste food from a suspect can without boiling it first. Botulism is tasteless and a tiny taste could easily be enough to kill you.

Whenever you see rust on the inside, it could be from the liquid in the can. Or it could be the rust from the outside eating it's way to the inside. In which case, the integrity of the can has been compromised and the contents are no longer sterile.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top