Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I found an old can of pink wild salmon in water, it seemed ok on the outside, but when I opened it, the top was a bit rusty. Can I still eat it?
I took a taste, it seems ok...
It does not have an expiration date on it, but it is several years old, that I remember...

Another old can has the rust on the outside, I did not even open this one up.

What do you think? Will I live if I eat? Will I get sick?
What are the risks?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
14,273 Posts
Hi,

I found an old can of pink wild salmon in water, it seemed ok on the outside, but when I opened it, the top was a bit rusty. Can I still eat it?
I took a taste, it seems ok...
It does not have an expiration date on it, but it is several years old, that I remember...

Another old can has the rust on the outside, I did not even open this one up.

What do you think? Will I live if I eat? Will I get sick?
What are the risks?

Many thanks!
Warning! Though botulism is rare, it thrives in air tight containers. It has not taste and shows no sign of spoilage. Just a tiny taste can make you very sick. It can kill you within days if not treated early. It is not good, to taste questionable foods till they are boiled 1st.

Rust is not usually harmful.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks!

Hi,

Thanks for the quick replies! Sorry if you get 2 replies, because I wrote a long message & I do not know what happened:confused:
Where did it go??

Ok, I hope & pray nothing hapens, since I did taste a bit of the wild salmon.

I never thought about boiling salmon, tuna & sardines, because I typically use
them in salads. But, that is a good idea for the future.

Just in case, I threw the salmon away:eek:: It was wild pink salmon.

I guess I should also throw away the one that is rusty on the outside,
because if its rusty on the outside, that means its probably worse on the inside, right?

Another question, is it better to buy salmon, tuna, sardines in oil, instead
of water, to prevent rusting in the future?

Also, if the grid goes down, and its summer time & HOT, what is going to happen to all of the canned goods/food storage?
Will everything then end up rusting up?

This situation makes me concerned about having too many preps in actual metal cans. This never crossed my mind, until this happened...

What can you do to fix this?

Many thanks!

·
not a nut
1,629 Posts
The cans of rusty salmon, do you have good medical insurance? If not you might want to toss them.

Just because its rusty on the outside does not mean its rusty on the inside.

Unless a seal is broken the chance of botulism is very low, but if it smells funky toss it out.

If it looks and smells ok, and is the only food available, I would recommend cooking it thoroughly before eating.

Try to rotate and use your food storage so you dont have older can sitting around.

Store in a cool dry place for maximum shelf life, this can extend canned food usability time by years.

·
"Normal" is an illusion
370 Posts
Do you need bait for your traps?
If you have a garden and you've put out any kind of traps, this salmon would work great to bait them with!
I'm pretty sure that any fish packed in oil wouldn't rust.
They usually recommend you store that kind anyways for shtf b/c you'll need the extra oil/fat then.
I do know what you're asking though about can storage because my kitchen pantry wasn't air-conditioned last year and some of the cans were warm to the touch and I was worried about them being ok. This year I leave it open to get the a/c. Idk about when there is no a/c, good question!

·
Registered
14,273 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for the quick replies! Sorry if you get 2 replies, because I wrote a long message & I do not know what happened:confused:
Where did it go??

Ok, I hope & pray nothing hapens, since I did taste a bit of the wild salmon.

I never thought about boiling salmon, tuna & sardines, because I typically use
them in salads. But, that is a good idea for the future.

Just in case, I threw the salmon away:eek:: It was wild pink salmon.

I guess I should also throw away the one that is rusty on the outside,
because if its rusty on the outside, that means its probably worse on the inside, right?

Another question, is it better to buy salmon, tuna, sardines in oil, instead
of water, to prevent rusting in the future?

Also, if the grid goes down, and its summer time & HOT, what is going to happen to all of the canned goods/food storage?
Will everything then end up rusting up?

This situation makes me concerned about having too many preps in actual metal cans. This never crossed my mind, until this happened...

What can you do to fix this?

Many thanks!
LOL I wasn't thinking about Salmon when I said boiling. I should have said cook well.

Salmon croquettes are very good. Mix 1 egg some onion and a small amount of cornmeal with the Salmon and fry it. It is quite yummy.

I would not recommend boiling it.

There are some can goods that I do eat out of a can such as cling peaches. I am mainly talking about older can good or dented ones. Mainly be careful and use common sense. If you are worried about spoilage, never taste it to test it.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Just put a little colloidal silver in it and you will be good to go. Colloidal silver will kill anything bad.

Well sorry to disagree with you but I can remember doing that thing in Biology class.We did all sorts of test and to tell you the truth in most of the test the colloidal silver test it didn't kill almost anything in the petri dish. So unless you want to be responsible for killing people you might want to do a little testing yourself before you give off false ideas as to whats safe with food.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
If there is rust, there is air; rust is oxidation. This means the can was not air-tight, there must have been a hole in it. As I understand it, Botulism thrives in an-aerobic places, therefore if there is air you needed worry about botulism; salmonella is a different story. Glad you threw it out.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
Well, the rust is edible, but the fact that it inside the can means it seal was compromised. So now you are dependent on whatever chemicals the packer used.....

·
Registered
14,273 Posts
If there is rust, there is air; rust is oxidation. This means the can was not air-tight, there must have been a hole in it. As I understand it, Botulism thrives in an-aerobic places, therefore if there is air you needed worry about botulism; salmonella is a different story. Glad you threw it out.
Good point, I wasn't thinking about rust being on the inside. :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts