Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Awesome
17,062 Posts
New? I've been seeing and hearing about it for years and last I heard Russia said it wasn't enough better than the AK-74 to spend money on it.

·
Awesome
17,062 Posts
im watching the video but yeah.. its just a typical AK, but with some changes you've been able to get in the american aftermarket for years.. new muzzle device, combination gas/front sight block, railed handguard, and a railed hinged dust cover.. which the US aftermarket has had as well for many, many years.. and they do hold zero.. until they dont because once parts wear, zero goes away.. saberwerks KOP is a far better system than a railed dust cover

so overall, the iteration of the AK-12 in the video isn't even up to par to what you've been able to achieve with US aftermarket for a long time

and i've had an idea to improve it further with a combo block, adjustable, gas plug comes out for accessing the gas tube for cleaning, gas tube is fixed between the receiver and gas block with a fixed rail that cantilevers over the dust cover which is changed a bit to slide straight back for disassembly, held in place with a detent built into the rear trunnion.. it wouldnt take much to put that idea to use, and still a better mounting system than that AK-12

·
Welcome to the rice field
1,579 Posts

Guys have been trying to "upgrade" the AK for a long time. A dust cover with buis and pic rail that can actually hold zero would be a modest improvement. I think a longer hand guard would be nice, but manual of arms and ergos is what it is for the most part. You like it or you don't.

·
Awesome
17,062 Posts
railed dust covers will always be problematic.. the very act of your optics being mounted to something that moves in relation to the rest of the rifle is never ideal

·
Registered
624 Posts
The dust cover actually looks secured with a hinge and some sort of retaining pin to the rear. It's not just a rail slapped on a loose dust cover on this model.

·
Registered
11,459 Posts
So the Russians finally borrowed a Valmet design from 1962 and put a railed dust cover into play.

Yowza.:cool:

Next question...he says the nicer recoil/muzzle flip is due to the muzzle brake. But....did he shoot it without the brake to prove that? I doubt it.

And....still no LRHO, just like a 10/22. Ruger and Russia, I swear they just don’t get it.:rolleyes:

·
Awesome
17,062 Posts
So the Russians finally borrowed a Valmet design from 1962 and put a railed dust cover into play.

Yowza.:cool:

Next question...he says the nicer recoil/muzzle flip is due to the muzzle brake. But....did he shoot it without the brake to prove that? I doubt it.

And....still no LRHO, just like a 10/22. Ruger and Russia, I swear they just don’t get it.:rolleyes:
last round bolt hold opens were left off of AKs for a specific reason.. they are available on some variants though, and can be added with an aftermarket modification

·
What hell, pay attention
7,970 Posts
LRHO is more of a knowing the gun thing than anything else and working it like its supposed to be worked.

Its really not a big deal not having one, and the big positive with them is, the gun is ALWAYS loaded, after a mag swap.

I think the main complaints come from those who arent familiar with their use and they try and run them like they are something else. And that doesnt tend to work too well.

·
Awesome
17,062 Posts
consider the AR-15 for a moment though.. its a fairly well sealed action, and when firing, the time the ejection port is actually open enough to let dirt in, is an extremely small window giving the cyclic speed of the Ar-15, and during that time the inside of the receiver is positively pressurized from the expanding gasses of the DI system. So under normal firing circumstances, unless there's something in your magazine theres no way to get anything into the rifle that could hinder it's operation.

Until the bolt locks open and the chamber remains exposed to the elements, unpressurized for the entire duration of the reload.

·
Registered
34,629 Posts
consider the AR-15 for a moment though.. its a fairly well sealed action, and when firing, the time the ejection port is actually open enough to let dirt in, is an extremely small window giving the cyclic speed of the Ar-15, and during that time the inside of the receiver is positively pressurized from the expanding gasses of the DI system. So under normal firing circumstances, unless there's something in your magazine theres no way to get anything into the rifle that could hinder it's operation..
Believe me, the POS manages.:cool:

·
Awesome
17,062 Posts
Funny that, every bolt action rifle i ever owned or shot, leaves the action open for quite a bit and not once have I needed Industrial Strength Tools to clear debris.
are you using your bolt action in a region where dust storms are frequent, without the luxury of simply going home when the weather gets bad?. how often do you use your bolt action under or near helicopters which is something military does?.. oh, never?.. well, surely your bolt action relies on a finite amount of momentum in the bolt carrier group?.. nope, not that either

stupid comparison

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,783 Posts
consider the AR-15 for a moment though.. its a fairly well sealed action, and when firing, the time the ejection port is actually open enough to let dirt in, is an extremely small window giving the cyclic speed of the Ar-15, and during that time the inside of the receiver is positively pressurized from the expanding gasses of the DI system. So under normal firing circumstances, unless there's something in your magazine theres no way to get anything into the rifle that could hinder it's operation.

Until the bolt locks open and the chamber remains exposed to the elements, unpressurized for the entire duration of the reload.
The AR is not well sealed and dirt and sand enters and ties up the action during storage.
At least that was my experience owning one for 20 yrs while living in the high desert.

·
Ultranationalist
12,878 Posts
The AR is not well sealed and dirt and sand enters and ties up the action during storage.
At least that was my experience owning one for 20 yrs while living in the high desert.
Is it one from 20 years ago?

My experience is different over the last 10-12 years, where I’ve never had a stoppage that wasn’t obviously due to either a bad magazine or firing blanks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts