Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
101 - 120 of 140 Posts

·
I Seen A Sighting!
3,612 Posts
Yes! Looks wonderful!

Have you ever dried watermelon? I used to do it, it was quite good. Took a little longer as there is so much water in it, but it has a concentrated flavor that is really good.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 · (Edited)
Today, for the first time, I spent the night in my hut at a temperature of about 32 F degrees.
If the gas stove is not turned off all night, then my wife starts to have a headache, so I got up twice at night and turned on the stove, then turned it off again.
I bought 3 liters of fresh milk and a kilogram of cottage cheese from a neighboring farmer. Everything is very delicious.
Bottle Plastic bottle Artifact Gas Serveware

I planted 4 blackberry bushes and covered with hay for the winter.
I wanted to burn all my stacks of cut grass, but it was damp. So I just covered the grass with black plastic to make it rot faster.
Burned dry branches from uprooted trees.
As usual, half a pound of porcini mushrooms for dinner
Mushroom Organism Fungus Agaricaceae Terrestrial plant

I almost forgot! I planted garlic!
Asphalt Road surface Grass Plant Bedrock

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Trackball- my wifes parents are retired farmers, my friends and I run thier farm garden and do property maintenance as rent to keep our RVs on thier farm. Her parents are babuska and pabushka to all of our grown adult kids. They call them Grampy and Nana.

Every October we shovel out each row in the garden and fill each trench with broken sticks and twigs, grass clippings, any wood ash we have collected from the bonfire or burn barrel and mix the dirt back in, wet each row down with the garden hose, then cover each row with black plastic for the Winter. It rots all Winter and gets hot enough to melt the snow on the plastic but in the Spring everything we plant in those rows grow really, really well.

If your dacha is located outside Moscow, your soil is sandy and your garden rows will need this same method, even for potatoes. The soil here is dark and rich, like in Ukraine but with a Moscow length time period to garden and a very similar Winter.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Thank you for correcting my poor Russian! I think growing anywhere is toil but the feel of dirt in your hands......it is reward enough! Once again, thank you!

Trackball, if you would, my father in law started a small apple orchard on th er land before he died. You mentioned digging up four apple trees in your orchard but also creating a hedge with the poles at your dacha. Are you re-planting your apple trees to do that? If so, could you take pictures of that? I am about to buy a property like yours but wanted to experiment at my in-laws farm until then. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
I think growing anywhere is toil but the feel of dirt in your hands......it is reward enough!
I am a 4th generation city dweller and I suddenly learned that I enjoy working on the ground. :)
This was news to me.
I have some wild apple trees on the site and will experiment with grafting cuttings.
My wife and I are still arguing where we will build the house and are not yet ready to plant a garden. I think the situation will become more definite in the spring.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
My garden and working on my ground have really been my rocks these past 18 months. I’m better for it in so many ways! Since it appears that times will remain uncertain for the foreseeable future I think I’ll keep my ground. Even a small patch in the city, as I have, is very useful.

·
Bugged out already
4,583 Posts
Today, for the first time, I spent the night in my hut at a temperature of about 32 F degrees.
If the gas stove is not turned off all night, then my wife starts to have a headache, so I got up twice at night and turned on the stove, then turned it off again.
I bought 3 liters of fresh milk and a kilogram of cottage cheese from a neighboring farmer. Everything is very delicious.

I planted 4 blackberry bushes and covered with hay for the winter.
I wanted to burn all my stacks of cut grass, but it was damp. So I just covered the grass with black plastic to make it rot faster.
Burned dry branches from uprooted trees.
As usual, half a pound of porcini mushrooms for dinner
View attachment 385582
I almost forgot! I planted garlic!
I am always a bit jealous of the mushrooms you post! While we have them here, they can be hard to find at my location! Plus the winter has hit and there are no more until next year. Isn’t the mushrooms done for the year in your area too?

Keep posting them as you find them!

Reactions: Trackball

·
gardener & news junkie
3,782 Posts
If the gas stove is not turned off all night, then my wife starts to have a headache, so I got up twice at night and turned on the stove, then turned it off again....
This kind of set off an alarm bell in my head. I'm wondering if your heater is giving off something that is causing the headache and that could be deadly later on. Is there a way you can check for a carbon monoxide or other leak? That really needs to be checked out before the real cold of winter sets in and the heater is really needed for long periods of time..

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
This kind of set off an alarm bell in my head. I'm wondering if your heater is giving off something that is causing the headache and that could be deadly later on.
A gas stove consumes oxygen and is therefore possible because of this. I am planning to make a simple ventilation mechanism for my hut.

·
Wrong Side of Heaven
4,297 Posts
Get a carbon monoxide monitor if you are having fuel burning issues with an incorrect air/fuel mix CO levels can be higher than expected. I had this issue with a natural gas furnace years ago. Lower burn temperatures create more CO and nearly everyone in the house was experiencing headaches had it serviced/cleaned and it went away.

101 - 120 of 140 Posts