Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
81 - 100 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Meanwhile, we here in the "free world" (Georgia, USA) cannot build such a small house, the government requires a minimum size, and we cannot build it ourselves, only a "licensed contractor" (a.k.a. someone who bribes or is related to local officials) can apply for a permit to build.
Geez and they say NY isnt free. Apparently more free than GA. I can even mill my own lumber.

·
I Seen A Sighting!
3,612 Posts
Too bad rural Texas isn't two or three times bigger. Some of y'all could move here. No regulations to speak of. But also no taxes going to feed a county employed self-milking goat into perpetuity.

Can we not say red neck anymore?

HUH! I guess not.

Vermillion nape.

Now that cannot be offensive.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Small news.
An abandoned apple orchard was found not far from the dacha.
Great illustrations on "what will happen to your garden if you don't use to care for it".
Plant Branch Twig Natural landscape Shrub

We gathered about a basket of apples.
My site has supplied me with mushrooms again. Fried mushrooms with buckwheat are delicious.
Ingredient Cuisine Dish Tableware Root vegetable

I was presented with 3 jasmine and lilac seedlings. I planted them near the hedge.
I transplanted several strawberry bushes into a separate garden bed.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Dehydrator?
The taste is not the same as that of the porcini. Porcini mushrooms, after drying, have an amazing mushroom smell.
Wood Natural material Ingredient Cuisine Dish

When making 4 servings of mushroom soup, just 2 ounces of dried mushrooms is sufficient.
And the most important thing. At the dacha, I do not yet have a source of electrical energy, and fresh mushrooms are stored for a VERY short time.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
The taste is not the same as that of the porcini. Porcini mushrooms, after drying, have an amazing mushroom smell.
View attachment 382118
When making 4 servings of mushroom soup, just 2 ounces of dried mushrooms is sufficient.
And the most important thing. At the dacha, I do not yet have a source of electrical energy, and fresh mushrooms are stored for a VERY short time.
Fair enough.

With that said, have you considered making a solar dehydrator?
No electricity needed!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Thanks!
Unfortunately porcini mushrooms (the best for drying) do not grow in my area. I prefer to eat other types of mushrooms fresh. :)
With the dryer, I will wait until the electricity is turned on. I still do this - I boil the mushrooms in salt water and then they are perfectly stored for a couple of days until I return home.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Thanks!
Unfortunately porcini mushrooms (the best for drying) do not grow in my area. I prefer to eat other types of mushrooms fresh. :)
With the dryer, I will wait until the electricity is turned on. I still do this - I boil the mushrooms in salt water and then they are perfectly stored for a couple of days until I return home.
Sweeeettt....

Your living the life many dream of!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
I ran away from my dacha on Saturday evening, but in one day I managed to collect 3 buckets of apples in an abandoned garden (I will make jam, marmalade and marshmallows) and uproot 7 young unnecessary trees. (Now I have a bunch of poles from which I will try to make a small decorative hedge.)
I almost forgot! I also prepared a small garlic bed.
Another pound of mushrooms for lunch. :)

·
Jackpine Savage
5,734 Posts
I ran away from my dacha on Saturday evening, but in one day I managed to collect 3 buckets of apples in an abandoned garden (I will make jam, marmalade and marshmallows) and uproot 7 young unnecessary trees. (Now I have a bunch of poles from which I will try to make a small decorative hedge.)
I almost forgot! I also prepared a small garlic bed.
Another pound of mushrooms for lunch. :)
How do you make marshmellows from apples?

81 - 100 of 140 Posts