Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided to start a dacha life.
The Russian term "Dacha" is often said to have no exact counterpart in English.
There is a wikipedia article that can explain this term. Dacha - Wikipedia

Objectives:
1. Have a second home in case of a natural disaster
2. Try to grow some vegetables
3. Escape the city for the weekend

The weekend before last I traveled around some plots of land for sale.
The price difference is huge. There are plots that are located in a protected area and are connected to water, natural gas and electricity. In this case, a monthly payment is charged for the protection and cleaning of roads.
There are plots with electricity only. There are no monthly payments.
The difference in price is 3-5 times.
I bought an "extreme" plot 0.45 acres that only has electricity. About 2 hours by car from my house (1.50 on motorway and 10 minutes on gravel).
Beautiful place. Not far from the river (30 min), shop (10 min), building materials store (15 min). I saw partridges, a falcon and roe deer near my place.
I'll try to start here.
The plan is as follows (for 1 year):
1. Ground preparation (removal of weeds, ants and grass)
2. Building a fence
3. Digging a well
4. Buying a septic tank
5. Construction of a summer house

In the future, for 3-4 years, the construction of a residential building.

Weekend 1 - cut 3/4 of the grass

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
That looks like a nice piece of land. With only 0.4ac I suggest you start with a site plan. That small of a piece of land dosnt leave you much room for many of the things you want to do. For instance here in NY your well needs to be 100ft from your septic and you cant put a building or a driveway over a well or septic.

Also if it takes you all weekend to cut 3/4 of the grass I suggest you find a better way and use your sparse time there at your property better.

We bought 10ac of woods 3hrs from home. No well, no electric and no chance of either. First order was a driveway, shed/cabin and clearing some woods for a real cabin site. We also found and improved a spring.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you keep the grass down it should be easier and faster to keep it under control. Definitely have a site plan, and place your well first and confirm that it will draw water before building ANYTHING permanent.
Sure. All neighbors already have wells with excellent water, I don't think my site will be different. I plan to order digging of the ring in winter, when the water level is at its lowest.
Of course I have a plan in Visio :)

·
Jackpine Savage
5,734 Posts
Moscow have a humid continental climate. Climate of Moscow - Wikipedia
I'll be looking forward to seeing what you plant down the road when you get to put in a garden. Without looking up my official stats it looks like you're about 10*F cooler than me through the heart of winter and summer, the the extremes match up well.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Looks good
That is a lot of tall grass to cut with a trimmer.
I have a guy that cuts with a tractor with Sicklebar , he dose my 2500’ drive way and around the house a few times , It is cheep it took him 15 mins last time and i have him do it 3 times a year or the weeds would be 3feet tall

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Sure. All neighbors already have wells with excellent water, I don't think my site will be different. I plan to order digging of the ring in winter, when the water level is at its lowest.
Of course I have a plan in Visio :)

View attachment 374743
That's good to know that you won't have a problem getting a well. What I meant was to have the well dug first, so just in case something crazy happens you don't have a house built next to a well that didn't work out.

And thank you introducing the dacha concept. That's exactly what I've been wanting to do except I didn't have an attractive name for it. "Bug out location", "hunting shack", and "remote cabin" would get immediately shot down by the wife. She might enjoy a dacha though. 😉

·
Jackpine Savage
5,734 Posts
That's good to know that you won't have a problem getting a well. What I meant was to have the well dug first, so just in case something crazy happens you don't have a house built next to a well that didn't work out.

And thank you introducing the dacha concept. That's exactly what I've been wanting to do except I didn't have an attractive name for it. "Bug out location", "hunting shack", and "remote cabin" would get immediately shot down by the wife. She might enjoy a dacha though. 😉
Vacation cabin :) my wife is very on board with that, however we live in a good area now and she also agrees that we aren't buying another property until the house we live in is paid off. More important to secure the place that we live in for us.

·
The Power of the Glave
2,792 Posts
If you keep the grass down it should be easier and faster to keep it under control. Definitely have a site plan, and place your well first and confirm that it will draw water before building ANYTHING permanent.
Agreed. A dependable, pure water supply is ESSENTIAL. Before making any plans.

And be sure to have it tested. If it's an area with a close-to-surface water table, nitrates could be present.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts