Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I love guns
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Russian Warship Using Panama Canal
December 03, 2008
Associated Press MOSCOW - A Russian warship will sail through the Panama Canal this week for the first time since World War II, the navy announced Wednesday, pushing ahead with a symbolic projection of Moscow's power in a traditional U.S. zone of influence.

The destroyer Admiral Chabanenko will arrive Friday at a former U.S. naval base in Panama's Pacific port of Balboa for a six-day visit after carrying out joint maneuvers with the Venezuelan navy in the Caribbean Sea, navy spokesman Capt. Igor Dygalo said in a telephone interview.

The Panama Canal has long been a symbol of U.S. clout in Latin America, and Dygalo said no Soviet or Russian military ship has sailed through it since World War II. The wartime alliance between the U.S. and the Soviet Union swiftly gave way to the mistrust, military buildups and proxy conflicts of the Cold War.

In a throwback to those times, the Russian navy statement announcing the plans referred to the base the Admiral Chabanenko will visit as Rodman naval base - its name when it was a U.S. base many years ago.

Rodman was the hub for all U.S. naval activities in South America and supported fleet units transiting the 50-mile (80-kilometer) canal. But control of the facility shifted to Panama a decade ago, and it is now called the Balboa naval base.

Monday's joint maneuvers with Venezuela, which brought the Admiral Chabanenko and the nuclear-powered missile cruiser Peter the Great across the Atlantic along with two support ships, were widely seen as a show of Kremlin anger over the U.S. use of warships to deliver aid to Georgia after its August war with Russia.

Russian warships tailed U.S. ships in the Black Sea, where Russia borders Georgia, on that mission.

The Russian squadron's voyage to Venezuela was Russia's first such deployment to the Western Hemisphere since the Cold War era, aimed to showcase the Kremlin's global reach and reassert its claim to great-power status. Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is a staunch U.S. foe.

The voyage coincided with a trip to Latin America late last month by Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, who visited four nations in what he acknowledged was an effort to raise Moscow's profile in a region he said it has long neglected.

U.S. officials have mocked the Russian show of force, saying that the Russian navy is a shadow of Moscow's Soviet-era fleet and suggesting that the U.S. retains far more influence in the region than Russia.

"Are they accompanied by tugboats this time?" U.S. State Department spokesman Sean McCormack joked to reporters in Washington last week ahead of the Russian ships' arrival off Venezuela.

Dygalo would not say where the Peter the Great, which led the Russian squadron, would be located while the destroyer visits the Panama base.

http://www.military.com/news/article/russian-warship-using-panama-canal.html?col=1186032310810

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Monday's joint maneuvers with Venezuela, which brought the Admiral Chabanenko and the nuclear-powered missile cruiser Peter the Great across the Atlantic along with two support ships, were widely seen as a show of Kremlin anger over the U.S. use of warships to deliver aid to Georgia after its August war with Russia.
It works both ways. They would be stupid not to do this. Never allow yourself to be bullied.

·
Only Half Human
533 Posts
The question is how far will it go? The one upmanship. I think we will find Obama will continue the agressive actions of the Bush administration. Only the outward appearance will change.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Russia is not an invasion threat to us. A threat? Yes, but not an immediate one. It took them three months to have this "display." If they were the threat they pose to be, they would have had naval forces passing through Cuba three weeks to a month the Georgian War.

·
Sis vis pacem para bellum
69 Posts
good way to imprison a few million dollars worth of russian hardware. Wait till they get into the locks and then blow up the gates. Why not we made them?

"Mr. Putin you can have your ship back when you quit being so obtuse and grow some hair"

·
I travel light
2,036 Posts
Why are you so afraid of this?. USA is driving war ships in the entire world. And...the ship is much more what can you see from the outside. I´ve worked with some russian equipment, I know what I´m talking about :D: . Anyway, it´s the NORTHamerican style perhaps: mock of what you can see to the naked eye.

They´re just doing war games with some allies, like Cuba and my country, Venezuela. Big deal. You a chicken?.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I'm not going to worry too much until I see a bunch of Russian paratroopers landing. ;)
that probly wont happen be more like boom we done... The fear of geting retaliated is what really slows them down if they were really going to do it they would just start fireing missles all over the place and hope the other side can retal and has been destroyed.. what they really are doing is testing thier boundreys like in alaska they went on us soil and a canadian ship kicked them out of the area they are testing to see what the reaction times are and how far they can push so if they feel its in there best intrest to attack a country they can do it with out being retailed right away... Its all about who is buddys with who. Like say I'm friends with Fred and Fred gets attacked or someone says im going to block all trade to you chances are you would try to get around it for Fred as he is a good friend samething goes with countrys.. attack one and get them and then get attacked by 4 or 5 can do some damage but then agian the country they attack could have been doing something mean to them to start with..

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Seems Russia is the one "Picking the fights" as in Georgia. I actually was just kidding but your point is a good one.

What is more likely is that it will sink itself in the canal and WE wont be able to use it.
You should check some foreign news sources. Seems OUR media was the only ones blaming Russia for starting the Georgian skirmish. The Georgians it seems, grew a set of oversized balz thinking "we" wouldn't allow Russia to interfere with their border dispute according to some European reports.

In our 8 years of being well distracted with Iraq, Paris Hilton's latest "no pantie" pics and American "idle", Russia has quietly turned it's post communist hollow military into a modern force with modern capabilities.

I rather have them as an ally since our countries have a lot in common in many respects.

·
Only Half Human
533 Posts
You should check some foreign news sources. Seems OUR media was the only ones blaming Russia for starting the Georgian skirmish. The Georgians it seems, grew a set of oversized balz thinking "we" wouldn't allow Russia to interfere with their border dispute according to some European reports.

In our 8 years of being well distracted with Iraq, Paris Hilton's latest "no pantie" pics and American "idle", Russia has quietly turned it's post communist hollow military into a modern force with modern capabilities.

I rather have them as an ally since our countries have a lot in common in many respects.
Fact is Israeli and US "advisors" were in the area 2-3 weeks before it happend training Georgian troops. This was a provacative action taken by the Georgians under the direction of Intelligences in the US and Israel.

Things are going all according to their plans. Another world war is coming. Far worse than the first two.

·
Only Half Human
533 Posts
On July 15, 2008, it was reported that 1,000 US troops in Georgia began a military training exercise with Georgian troops called “Immediate Response 2008.” The same report stated that “Georgia and the Pentagon [cooperated] closely.” The training exercise came amidst growing tensions between Russia and Georgia, while the US was simultaneously supporting Georgia’s bid to become a NATO member.[17]

It was also reported that 1,200 US servicemen and 800 Georgians were to train for three weeks at a military base near the Georgian capital of Tbilisi.[18] The exercise was being run in cooperation with NATO and was preceded by a visit to Georgia by US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, where she met with the President and stated that, “the future of Georgia is in NATO.”[19]

After the US and Georgia began conducting joint exercises, the Russian Army began military exercises on the other side of the Caucasus mountains, involving up to 8,000 Russian servicemen.[20]

It was reported that US military instructors were in Georgia when the conflict with Russia began.[21] Russia’s envoy to NATO also accused NATO of encouraging Georgia to take the offensive against South Ossetia.[22]

Israel in Georgia

The Georgian tanks and artillery that captured the South Ossetian capital on August 8 were aided by Israeli military advisers. In the year leading up to the conflict, the Georgian President had commissioned upwards of 1,000 military advisers from private Israeli security firms to train the Georgian armed forces, as well as offer instruction on military intelligence and security. Georgia also purchased military equipment from Israel.[23]

5. Why the War?

Political Pipelines

A key factor in determining the causes and purpose of this war could lie in Georgia’s strategic position. Georgia lies between Russia and Turkey, between the Caspian Sea and the Black Sea, and above Iran and Iraq. The significance of Georgia as a strategic outpost cannot be underestimated. This is true, particularly when it comes to pipelines.

The Baku Tblisi Ceyhan (BTC) Pipeline, the second largest pipeline in the world, travels from Baku, the capital of Azerbaijan, through Tbilisi, the capital of Georgia, to Ceyhan, a Mediterranean port city in Turkey. This pipeline creates a route that bypasses both Iran and Russia, to bring Caspian Basin oil resources “to the United States, Israel and Western European markets.” The US company, Bechtel, was the main contractor for construction, procurement and engineering, while British Petroleum (BP), is the leading shareholder in the project.[24]

Israel gets much of its oil via Turkey through the BTC pipeline route, which played a part in Israel’s motivation for helping Georgia as the West and Russia battle for control of pipeline routes.[25]

Russia’s Shaky Relationship With BP

TNK-BP was formed in 2003 with the merger of BP’s Russian oil and gas assets and the oil and gas assets of Alfa, Access/Renova Group (AAR). BP owns 50% of the company, while Russian-based AAR owns the other 50%. One of TNK-BP’s directors is Lord Robertson of Port Ellen, former UK Defence Secretary from 1997 to 1999, and former Secretary General of NATO from 1999 to 2003.[26]

However, TNK-BP’s CEO, Robert Dudley, an executive with BP, has caused much controversy within the organization, as he was said to be favouring BP over its Russian partners. This caused much animosity between BP and four Russian billionaires in the partnership. On August 15, 2008, a Russian court ruled that Dudley was barred “from holding office in Russia for two years.”[27] As of August 28, it was reported that BP was holding “secret, high-level negotiations with the Russia-connected billionaires” in the TNK-BP project.[28]

BP and Western Intelligence

In March of 2008, Russia brought espionage charges against two brothers with dual Russian-US citizenship for gathering secret information to give foreign oil companies a competitive advantage; one of the brothers was an employee for TNK-BP. This spurred the Russian police to search the Moscow offices of BP and TNK-BP, which apparently turned up “business cards of representatives of foreign defense departments and the (U.S.) Central Intelligence Agency.”[29]

The British paper The Mail on Sunday briefly reported a story before having it pulled from their website, regarding how BP had “worked with MI6 to help bring about changes in foreign governments,” as well as spend “millions of pounds on champagne-fuelled sex parties to help secure lucrative international oil contracts.” BP would work closely with British intelligence, MI6, “at the highest levels,” in order “to win business in the region and influence the political complexion of governments.”[30]

Military-Strategic-Pipeline Alliances

Clearly, BP is a geopolitical powerhouse of a company, which does not appreciate competition. However, competing pipelines being built by consortiums owned predominantly by Russia and China threaten the West’s access to Central Asia’s enormous gas and oil reserves. As Michel Chossudovsky documented, on one side is the NATO-GUAM military-strategic alliance, which includes NATO members and Georgia, Ukraine, Azerbaijan and Moldova, and has great significance in protecting and fostering Western-oriented pipeline projects. On the other side there is the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) and Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO), which bring a military and strategic alliance between Russia, China, several Central Asian states, and Iran. Part of their priorities are protecting and fostering oil pipelines that deliver gas and oil reserves to China and Russia.[31[

Encircling Russia and China

Not only is Georgia of geostrategic importance to pipeline transportation routes, but it is also central to the West's strategy of encircling Russia and China in an effort to prevent their rise to super-power status. In 1992, after the fall of the Soviet Union, Secretary of Defense **** Cheney had Pentagon officials like Paul Wolfowitz write up a plan for the US' strategy in a post-Cold War world. The goal was “to ensure that no rival superpower is allowed to emerge in Western Europe, Asia or the territories of the former Soviet Union,” specifically focusing on China and Russia.[32] The encirclement of Russia also had a large part in breaking the former Yugoslavia and more recently, recognizing Kosovo as an independent nation.[33]

Brzezinski’s Warning to Russia

Zbigniew Brzezinski, a Polish-American political scientist, geostrategist, and statesman who served as Jimmy Carter’s National Security Adviser, Barack Obama’s foreign policy adviser, co-founded the Trilateral Commission with banker David Rockefeller, and admitted to creating Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan as a method of giving the Russians “their Vietnam”, had a few words to say about the situation in Georgia in a recent issue of Time Magazine.

He started by blaming Russia’s “invasion of Georgia” on its “imperial aims.” Brzezinski blamed much of this on the “intense nationalistic mood that now permeates Russia’s political elite.” Brzezinski went on to explain Georgia’s strategic significance, stating that “an independent Georgia is critical to the international flow of oil,” since the BTC pipeline “provides the West access to the energy resources of central Asia.” Brzezinski warned Russia of being “ostracized internationally,” in particular its business elite, calling them “vulnerable” because “Russia’s powerful oligarchs have hundreds of billions of dollars in Western bank accounts,” which would be subject to a possible “freezing” by the West in the event of a “Cold War-style standoff.”[34]

6. Conclusion

Russia appears to be in the position of being threatened to conform and adhere to a Western-dominated international system of governance or to face the consequences of political isolation, financial attack, or a renewed Cold War. Ultimately, Georgia is a small player in this big global game, however, its significance in accelerating the game forward cannot be underestimated.

·
Registered
557 Posts
All I got to add to this is don't f*** with Russians . The can be evil and conniving . How do I know?? My X is a Russian. From a psycological point of view I am always amazed how much under handed things go on behind the scenes and how power hungry mankind can be!! All this manuevering and all this dealings to get into positions to be able to dominate or controll the flow of oil!!

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Fact is Israeli and US "advisors" were in the area 2-3 weeks before it happend training Georgian troops. This was a provacative action taken by the Georgians under the direction of Intelligences in the US and Israel.

Things are going all according to their plans. Another world war is coming. Far worse than the first two.
So what if they were training Georgian troops. In Iraq they had alot of troops that could have used some updated training. Unfortunately we agree with the war part but I suppose that all the US fault aswell.

·
Talk To The Hand
658 Posts
Presented For Your Entertainment

Captain Ramius: A great day comrades, we sail into history!

Captain Ramius: "... and the sea will grant each man new hope, as sleep brings dreams of home." Christopher Columbus.
Jack Ryan: Welcome to the New World, Captain.

Capt. Vasili Borodin: I will live in Montana. And I will marry a round American woman and raise rabbits, and she will cook them for me. And I will have a pickup truck... maybe even a "recreational vehicle." And drive from state to state. Do they let you do that?
Captain Ramius: I suppose.
Capt. Vasili Borodin: No papers?
Captain Ramius: No papers, state to state.
Capt. Vasili Borodin: Well then, in winter I will live in... Arizona. Actually, I think I will need two wives.
Captain Ramius: Oh, at least.

;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.