Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
With the amount of small debris out in that level of orbit and meteorites that regularly break up as they get closer to earth how long could that thing possibly last before it gets shredded to bits? I bet its effectiveness would be lucky to last 48 hours.

Also that youtube narrator sounds like a tool.

·
Militant Normal
10,410 Posts
With the amount of small debris out in that level of orbit and meteorites that regularly break up as they get closer to earth how long could that thing possibly last before it gets shredded to bits? I bet its effectiveness would be lucky to last 48 hours.
How is it then that several dozen communications satellites stay alive?

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the "star" sounds like it is essentially a space blanket somehow formed into a certain shape. Probably just an add-on to a mission doing something worthwhile.

I think it would be neat to be able to look up and see a manmade star.

the guy with the Youtube channel is actually a good source of unfiltered news, and is very fast in reporting on things. Give him a break. He does the channel in his free time from his real job and is just a poor guy trying to make a difference in the world. Yes, he sounds a little goofy and believes in some odd stuff. But I like his speed and uncensored reports. Especially in this age of 100% controlled news.

·
Retrofitted Sheeple
30,605 Posts

Also that youtube narrator sounds like a tool.
The statistical likelihood of being struck by an object larger than a molecule is astronomical(pun intended).

·
Registered
264 Posts
NASA had a more ambitious proposal similar to this in the Late 70's in the run-up to the space shuttle becoming operational.It was a system of several artificial reflective moons about 200-250 yards in Diameter deployed in Geosynchronous orbit over North America coast to coast, the idea was to reduce energy use by having twilight conditions overnight. then environmental and animal rights activists complained that it would possibly alter weather patterns???and confuse animal behavior and migration, along with unresolved technical and cost considerations ultimately killed it. there were detailed articles about the plan in Popular mechanics and Science,Aviation week and Omni magazines at the time.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I see the light from the ISS whenever it is in the sky. It is one of the brightest stars there is. Neat, but hardly worth the ongoing cost of the thing.
The ISS goes whipping by so fast, if you blink you missed it. I only saw it once, while on a beach vacation and someone knew exactly when it would come whizzing by.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.