Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruger recently came out with a new .22 LR that is virtually the same as the 10/22 but on an AR platform, with AR style ergonomics and of course picatinny rails...

I'm 17, and am planning on buying my first gun when I turn 18, I would prefer a larger caliber gun, but based on price though, and availability to start "hording" .22 LR ammo I am kind of drawn to it. Especially given its AR platform.

Does anyone have any experience with it? I would love opinions. I have about 6 months til I can buy one, so I'm doing my homework now so that I'm able to buy it immedietly.

If you guys don't like this, then what would you reccommend? My criteria include: a fairly larger magazine (so that kind of counts out the SKS), variability (like an AR platform), and something that isn't going to break the bank both for the rifle, and for the bullets themselves.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
You could almost get a couple of 22's for the cost of the new Ruger 22 AR style rifle! Get the 10/22 spend the left over money on ammo. Really were talking 22 cal. here! 22 that look like AR-15 or AK47's are just silly in IMHO. If you have the moneyto burn, I'm sure the new one is a heck of a lot of fun to shoot.

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
I think they look cool too but the price is crazy. you'd be better off getting a 10/22. Considered it myself but there was no way I was payig that for a 22. got a charger instead.

If you are drawn to the AR platform and larger caliber then you may want to consider a Mini-14 with the ATI folding stock. It has weaver/picatiny rails and is a .223 caliber.

You could also choose the SR-556 but it is likely to break the bank.

·
Camper #9
514 Posts
Remember this is a survival site, so I'll answer from that point of view. Yes the SR .22 looks like a lot of fun, but it also looks like something a bit sinister to the easily frightened. The cool thing about a 10-22 is that they are very capable weapons, that don't draw very much attention. I would suggest applying the dollar value of the SR .22 to a Stainless steel/ synthetic stock 10-22. With the remainder get a cleaning kit, a scope with rings, 2 or 3 extra 10 shot clear Ruger mags, and a couple 25rd butler creek mags. If things get crummy, you'll be very capable and way under the radar.....Yes do stock up on good quality .22 LR ammo. Shoot one save two, shoot one save two etc. etc. Most importantly though be safe, and have fun. :thumb:

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Ruger recently came out with a new .22 LR that is virtually the same as the 10/22 but on an AR platform, with AR style ergonomics and of course picatinny rails...

I'm 17, and am planning on buying my first gun when I turn 18, I would prefer a larger caliber gun, but based on price though, and availability to start "hording" .22 LR ammo I am kind of drawn to it. Especially given its AR platform.

Does anyone have any experience with it? I would love opinions. I have about 6 months til I can buy one, so I'm doing my homework now so that I'm able to buy it immedietly.

If you guys don't like this, then what would you reccommend? My criteria include: a fairly larger magazine (so that kind of counts out the SKS), variability (like an AR platform), and something that isn't going to break the bank both for the rifle, and for the bullets themselves.

Thanks for the help!
This "10-22 AR lookalike" is a waste of $$ IMO. You would save money getting a simple 10-22 to begin with. This would amount to more funds for ammo/optics/maint equitment/ etc....
Since you are new to firearms, I would suggest that you look into some basic firearms safety courses, and also attend an Appleseed shoot with a std 10-22. This combination will prove to be more valuable for you than a high dollar 22lr rifle, ifn's ya ask me..;)

11B

·
Bad Guy
802 Posts

Thanks for the help!
Not sure of the price of the Ruger, but if you're wanting a cheap training rife, Smith & Wesson makes a 22LR AR for about $500. It will get you used to AR ergonomics and is cheap practice/training, if that's your bag. If I was you, I'd get a Yugoslav AK, they can be found for around $400 used, but if I was you, then you'd be me, and you wouldn't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Remember this is a survival site, so I'll answer from that point of view. Yes the SR .22 looks like a lot of fun, but it also looks like something a bit sinister to the easily frightened. The cool thing about a 10-22 is that they are very capable weapons, that don't draw very much attention. I would suggest applying the dollar value of the SR .22 to a Stainless steel/ synthetic stock 10-22. With the remainder get a cleaning kit, a scope with rings, 2 or 3 extra 10 shot clear Ruger mags, and a couple 25rd butler creek mags. If things get crummy, you'll be very capable and way under the radar.....Yes do stock up on good quality .22 LR ammo. Shoot one save two, shoot one save two etc. etc. Most importantly though be safe, and have fun. :thumb:
Well said, Also read my post on .22 ammunition problems. I would get a 10-22 and as much CCI or other high quality ammunition as you can afford. several good working magazines as well. Kingfish

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,282 Posts
You could almost get a couple of 22's for the cost of the new Ruger 22 AR style rifle! Get the 10/22 spend the left over money on ammo. Really were talking 22 cal. here! 22 that look like AR-15 or AK47's are just silly in IMHO. If you have the moneyto burn, I'm sure the new one is a heck of a lot of fun to shoot.
I hafta agree. Better to spend the price difference on more ammo. It's the same gun as the 10/22 anyway. Tacti-cool .22s do nothing but get you laughed at.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
As for the ammo, the bulk boxes are good, but for fancy ammo, I bought a bunch of the 22 stingers and put them away as well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
just my opinion i would get a good ak47 or mac 90. you may scare someone but when shtf you may need to scare some people.plus you can get up to 50 round mag's for them and ammo by the case that are good almost forever and cheap to.you'll have plenty of knock down power to take game if you need to.as someone else stated you may want to look into the mini 14/ mini30 they are both proven guns as well that shoot a good round.

·
Registered
154 Posts
if you like it, get it..its not about if an AK or a mini14 is a better rifle....its about what you like and if its a good rifle....Yes its a good reliable rifle....if you like it, then get one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts