Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my new SP-101 from my gun pusher. I already have the SS version but ran across this one in blued steel. The price with shipping and transfer was $630 total. Not bad for the present time. Ruger did a really great job of polishing and bluing this gun. It sure makes me want to get a 4" GP-100 with blued finish.

Air gun Trigger Grey Machine gun Gun barrel

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry

2,332 Posts
I hate to poop on your parade but what does blue do for you that stainless doesn't ?
I own 2 of these in .357 and one in 9mm.
I'd probably buy a .327 if I could find one at a reasonable price.
I like the dark color but I bet it wouldn't look like that for long if it spent the last 20something years in my truck like one of mine has.
I kind like the "target gray" finish Ruger has but I don't know anything about it. I think its some treatment of stainless steel? If it rubs off I'd skip on that too.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
I have one in 38 spl. Only thing I don't like is that it's stainless. I hate stainless but it's a great gun. My daughter loves it so she will be getting it when she gets out of college.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hate to poop on your parade but what does blue do for you that stainless doesn't ?
As a rule blued guns are smoother than SS in operation. The smoothest of all are the nickle plated carbon steel guns from S&W. Besides, I like the way it looks. I have carried blued guns in my truck in holsters and gun rugs and they had no wear to speak of. I have had more dings and scuffs show up on the wood grips than the blued finish. And you are not allowed to rain on my parade. Go away bad storm person. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have one in 38 spl. Only thing I don't like is that it's stainless. I hate stainless but it's a great gun. My daughter loves it so she will be getting it when she gets out of college.
I am not a big fan of Stainless either but so many guns are now stainless or nothing. I think the manufacturers like it because there is less time needed in the finish dept. compared to the high polish needed for a blued guns. Given a choice of two identical guns in each finish I will pick the blued version every time.

·
1,164 Posts
I own 2 of these in .357 and one in 9mm.
I'd probably buy a .327 if I could find one at a reasonable price.
I like the dark color but I bet it wouldn't look like that for long if it spent the last 20something years in my truck like one of mine has.
I kind like the "target gray" finish Ruger has but I don't know anything about it. I think its some treatment of stainless steel? If it rubs off I'd skip on that too.
I have blued and stainless and I shoot blued more for the same reason I don’t drive a white truck through mud.

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
35,701 Posts
="hatchet jack, post: 21001325, member: 34408"]
I just picked up my new SP-101 from my gun pusher. I already have the SS version but ran across this one in blued steel. The price with shipping and transfer was $630 total. Not bad for the present time. Ruger did a really great job of polishing and bluing this gun. It sure makes me want to get a 4" GP-100 with blued finish.

There's something about a well built, high quality revolver that you just have to love. And it's hard to beat the quality of a Ruger. I've owned several over the years. My fascination with revolvers sprouted when I was a kid watching the cowboy shows or the cops & robber shows. Everyone used a revolver back then.

·
HMFIC
1,232 Posts

a few years ago, I found one used for I think 475. Had 2 grips, 2 holsters, stainless, and a speed loader. Everyone said I got a great deal on it. At least 10-13 years ago, I bought a brand new SS 4in GP100, I swear it was only $400 or so. Prices have exploded for some stupid reason.

I bought the 101 as an upgrade to a rossi snub I had. It's built like a tank, can take any 357 load you throw at it (which is useless in a 2in snub), and will last forever.

2,332 Posts
"I have blued and stainless and I shoot blued more for the same reason I don’t drive a white truck through mud."

The carbon and lead on the front of the cylinder bothers you that much?
Personally RUST bothers me more than anything. Maybe its different for me as I live in a coastal state with no shortage of rain and temperature swings.
Its interesting that I sense that I've touched a nerve with some preferring stainless over blued finish?
Considering the overall theme of this forum, I would not have expected such.
If I were posting on a collector forum I guess I wouldn't be surprised at those folks not liking stainless.

I have a NEW Tops BOB knife in carbon that I would love to trade for a used (or new) Tops BOB in 154CM stainless.
The 154CM version was not available when I bought the carbon version which has been in my safe ever since.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Its interesting that I sense that I've touched a nerve with some preferring stainless over blued finish?
I doubt you have touched a nerve. Sometimes people like different stuff than what you like. Sounds like its you who has their nerves frayed. If you like stainless good for you. I like it too. I just like the way a blued gun looks better.

Reactions: curt mini14

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dam inflation, I think I paid $350 for my .357 around 2000
I paid around $400 for my SS SP-101 used about 2010 IIRC. I got it off GB and was working close to where the seller was so I drove over and picked it up in person. The previous owner had worked on it trying to make the trigger better. He failed. And I did too almost. I bought a Wolfe spring kit and took it apart and polished evey wear point and installed new springs. The trigger was still hard to use.

I must have taken that gun apart 10 times trying to make it better. Then the last time I had it apart I noticed a small rub mark on top of the trigger housing. The mark was just below the hammer. So looking at the hammer I saw it was not smoothed or finished on the bottom, the part you can't see. Sure enough the hammer was rubbing on the trigger housing so I filed the bottom of the hammer to get rid of the machine marks.

I put it back together for the last time and tried it. It was like magic. That gun now has a trigger almost as good as the trigger on my nickle plated HB model 10. When folks dog the SP trigger I wish they could feel mine. Is so smooth my record so far is 23 dry fires with a penny on the barrel firing double action before the penny falls off.

I am pretty sure this gun will get the same treatment. My oldest son wants to buy this gun from me. I will let him try it first and see if he wants the action tune. If he does I will do it with him helping so he knows how the gun goes together. He wants me to sell his S&W model 637 for him. That gun has a better trigger than my 442. I may just buy it from him instead.

Reactions: 97guns

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
i View attachment 387519 I carry a 3 inch while out hiking its as accurate as can be and with these grips hot loads are no problem.
3" is the minimum I recommend for any .357 Mag. It truly gains huge amounts of velocity with barrel length, even out to as much as 20". That is where it truly distances itself from 9mm and .45 or .40, and to a lesser extent, even 10mm.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts