Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Dust of the Earth
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to pick up another DA wheel gun in .357 Came across this Security Six locally. God knows why they put a red dot on it, but whatever. Anyway, the only ruger I've owned is a blackhawk and 20 years later it's rock solid. How do you all feel about the security six? What would you say this is one is worth assuming it's in good working order? Links to other .357 deals are appreciated too. Trying to keep it under $400 all said and done. 4" barrel would be preferred, not interested in a snubbie or anything longer than 6".

Thanks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The Security Six is a great revolver - like all Rugers it is VERY strong - can handle .357s all day long. It was the first of the Ruger double actions - it's not as well finished as the Smiths - but it IS stronger (just needs a little TLC work on the trigger). Had one for years - then gave it to my brother. I recommend it !

·
Gravity is a Theory.
3,211 Posts
I have heard, and will search for a link, that Ruger has discontinued manufacturing new parts for the speed and security six lines. Something to consider for long term ownership. You can also buy a brand new Ruger GP-100 for about 150$ more if you save a little longer.

Link for new Ruger, search the site as they have some other models available as well:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/97130359...er/Security-Six-Type/RUGER_GP100_NEW_BLUE.htm

·
Dust of the Earth
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Security Six is a great revolver - like all Rugers it is VERY strong - can handle .357s all day long.
That's what I was hoping to hear. Revolvers shouldn't be sold as .357s if they can't take more than .38s without breaking or wearing out.

I have heard, and will search for a link, that Ruger has discontinued manufacturing new parts for the speed and security six lines. Something to consider for long term ownership. You can also buy a brand new Ruger GP-100 for about 150$ more if you save a little longer.
I've heard it's hard to find parts. There's firearms you just know you'll be buying parts for at some point. A good revolver shouldn't be one, but it happens and it would suck not to be able to find them. I've never bought a used gun before. I'm not a gun snob, I just haven't. I see used GP 100's going for 350 occasionally. Add the tax, shipping, FFL, and that brings it up to where a new one makes more sense. This isn't something I need, as I've already got the bases covered. Mainly it's so I don't have to share when I take friends shooting that don't have their own... and a back up is never a bad thing.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Unless I was in love with the red dot, I would make sure that all the original sight pieces (including screws and pins) are with the gun. Rugers are very good guns, but there is no comparison with a S&W as far as triggers, fit and finish, etc. For a steady diet of .357 ammo, the Ruger would compare with an N frame S&W rather than a K frame. That is probably a fair price IF the sights are with it. Not a great bargain, though. You should be able to shop and find a four inch Security Six in the $350 range.

·
Dust of the Earth
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unless I was in love with the red dot, I would make sure that all the original sight pieces (including screws and pins) are with the gun. Rugers are very good guns, but there is no comparison with a S&W as far as triggers, fit and finish, etc. For a steady diet of .357 ammo, the Ruger would compare with an N frame S&W rather than a K frame. That is probably a fair price IF the sights are with it. Not a great bargain, though. You should be able to shop and find a four inch Security Six in the $350 range.
Ya, I see GP-100s and Security 6s going for $350 on the web, but I'm hesitant to buy anything I can't inspect first. Even more so when it's used. Told this guy I wasn't interested in the red dot or his holster/bandoleer and offered him $400 for the Ruger with the factory sights back on it. Which is what I'd pay off the web once you add all the BS fees. Haven't heard back so I think the search continues... Gun stores around here are ridiculously overpriced. I found one in Denver that has "internet" prices and I'll be heading that way next week.

·
Registered
1 Posts
security six stainless steel 357 mag.

bought new in 1983 shot about 100 rounds mostly 38s took it to the range today 27 years later clean as the day i bought it shot about 50 rounds of remington factory 357mag. jhp and bam the barrel blew off and hit the backstop wall about 125 feet away so much for ruger ruggedness I dont think I will ever trust this gun again even if they have thier best gunsmith repair it there was not a bullet stuck in the dislodged barrel had to be a manufacturer defect do you think they will repair it or replace it thanks donho

·
*** Bless America
480 Posts
Ya, I see GP-100s and Security 6s going for $350 on the web, but I'm hesitant to buy anything I can't inspect first. Even more so when it's used. Told this guy I wasn't interested in the red dot or his holster/bandoleer and offered him $400 for the Ruger with the factory sights back on it. Which is what I'd pay off the web once you add all the BS fees. Haven't heard back so I think the search continues... Gun stores around here are ridiculously overpriced. I found one in Denver that has "internet" prices and I'll be heading that way next week.

I have a steel security six with factory pachmayr grips, all stock...what you lookin to spend?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've had my SS since 1980 or so and I have no idea how many rounds it's seen but several thousand I'm sure. Still works like new and I've never hadto replace a part on it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
bought new in 1983 shot about 100 rounds mostly 38s took it to the range today 27 years later clean as the day i bought it shot about 50 rounds of remington factory 357mag. jhp and bam the barrel blew off and hit the backstop wall about 125 feet away so much for ruger ruggedness I dont think I will ever trust this gun again even if they have thier best gunsmith repair it there was not a bullet stuck in the dislodged barrel had to be a manufacturer defect do you think they will repair it or replace it thanks donho

Pics please.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
I've had nigh on a dozen Security Six's and have yet to have one break or attempt to wear out despite a steady diet of quite heavy loads for a number of years.

The GP's are a bit stronger but the Six's are easier to pack around day after day.

As for parts, wear one out and then we'll talk.

It's cheaper and easier to just get another wheelgun and have it as a backup.
Considering how few "smith's" know how to tune or fit parts in the Six series today.

·
*** Bless America
480 Posts
Thanks MNG, but I already picked up a GP100 and I love it. Would've jumped on that if you got to me sooner.
No prob. I dont know if I could bare her loss anyway. She makes a dam fine trail gun, nothing like the warm feeling of a 4inch, .357 with 360 degrees of 158 grain federal hydra shoks.

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts
No, you didn't.

·
Registered
280 Posts
sec

got a security six in stainless, 6" barrel, 32 years ago..still have it! will shoot .357 all day..never a hicup. the only thing i did was changed the wood grips and keep her humid free. Will never get rid of it/advised son the same..First gun i bought as soon as I my age permitted.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
I guess I'm one of the few people who have had a bad experience with the Security Six. I'm a fan of Ruger, and I own a GP100, but my Security Six was a real dog, fail to fires every 50-60 rounds, horrible tolerances on the cylinder, nothing about it was appealing to me. It was given to me as a "gift" and I soon re-gifted it to someone else. Good riddance.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts