Survivalist Forum banner

Ruger PC Carbine

9850 68
Does anyone have one of the Ruger PC Carbines? If so how well do you like it? I have been interested in these ever since they came out but I have never seen one in the flesh, er, plastic. The over riding complaint on them seems to be the weight. The standard model is shown to weigh 6 pounds and 13oz. The newer version with a muffler shroud for a forearm shows to weigh 7 pounds 3 oz. And yes for a gun of this type thats a little weighty.

I have a Marlin model 9 Camp Carbine in 9mm and it weighs 6 pounds 7oz so not a lot less than the Ruger standard model. I really like the Camp Carbine and we have shot it quite a bit. Its been flawless in function and more than accurate enough. Our standard plinking target is a pipe fence post set in the ground at almost 100 yards from my buds front porch. We shoot 10 round groups and so far the record is 8 out of 10 shots are hits. And all strings are fired off hand. I have shot it out to 200 yards and keeping your shots on a mans chest at that range from a field rest is not hard to do.

I have a lot of interest in the Ruger now that I have a Glock 17 and the ability to use the same mags for both guns is a big plus to me. I gave my son a S&W model 915 9mm pistol and it uses the same mags as the Marlin so I told him I want him to have the Marlin one day. If he comes up from Florida to the Ft Worth area to visit and is driving I will send it home with him. The Ruger would be a replacement for the Marlin.

So tell me your Ruger stories if you have them.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

· Registered
587 Posts
I do not own that particular model but own several Ruger firearms. All have been flawless and for the money cannot be be beat. I easily outshot many glock shooters with my Sr9 pistol also have had 0 malfunctions with their .22 caliber guns and their AR15's. If the reviews on that model are good I would not hesitate. Nothing but good things to say about all of my Ruger guns.

· Premium Member
17,927 Posts
I have a Ruger SR40, if the carbine were sub $500, as it should be, I’d have bought one a long time ago. Anecdotally, I read good things, but I know no one that has bought one. On the other hand, I know lots of guys that bought or built 9 mm AR’s, and many of us spent less than the PC Carbine would require.

Ruger seems to use the Apple pricing scale for their long guns...make it expensive, and people will think it’s better even when it’s made in the same factory as the cheap stuff, using the same parts. Even though you have to spend even more and buy better parts to get it up to match the level of the other guys base model.

· Registered
1,138 Posts
I have a Ruger 9mm carbine. I wish it were lighter. I also wish it was more accurate. It does function flawlessly with all the different ammo I have tried in it (I tried many because I was hoping to find one that was more accurate). I also have the companion Security 9 pistol which is one of the most accurate pistols I have ever fired.
Honestly I feel a 9mm carbine to be a rather useless firearm (other than just for fun).

· Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ruger seems to use the Apple pricing scale for their long guns...
Thats funny. Never heard it put like that. And yes the price even before the pre covid pricing left me a little cold. I paid $286 for the Marlin 9mm Camp Carbine and $140 for the Hi-Point which by the way is a very good gun for the money.

· Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a Ruger 9mm carbine. I wish it were lighter. I also wish it was more accurate. It does function flawlessly with all the different ammo I have tried in it (I tried many because I was hoping to find one that was more accurate). I also have the companion Security 9 pistol which is one of the most accurate pistols I have ever fired.
Honestly I feel a 9mm carbine to be a rather useless firearm (other than just for fun).
Thats the kind of answer I was looking for. For what they want for them right now I won't get one. But if I found a deal on a used one for around $450 then I would consider it. I am perfectly satisfied with the Marlin 9mm. I have a new Black Jack buffer and I replaced the 11 pound factory spring for a 17lb Wolfe spring and also have a 21lb Wolfe spring if I feel its needed.

The weak point on the Marlin is the plastic trigger guard/magazine well that can be damaged by cleaning solvents. Mine is fine and I just today ordered a spare one from Numerich Arms for around $20. I like its short length of 35.5" and the 6.5 pounds isn't that bad. My buds 13 YO son killed his first deer with one. At the shot he said the deer ran in a half circle about 40 yards and dropped dead. Nothing wrong with that.

· Registered
2 Posts
I bought one when they first came out for $450 which I thought was fair for them at the time. I like mine a lot. Reminds me of a big 10/22 and is a very accurate gun for me.
Mine has around 500 rounds through it and hasn't choked yet, also pretty accurate for me, which so far has been about a 2 inch group at 50 yards with cheap ammo just plinking, I wouldn't call those hard numbers either, ymmv.
Mine has a little sig Romeo red dot on it which I also like a lot.
All in all I like mine a lot and would buy again if they were around the 5-600 range.

· Registered
467 Posts
I've had the older (original) Ruger PC in 9. HEAVY! Rather the Mini 14. Had a Marlin Camp 9, nice gun except mine had terrible dandruff. Came from disintegrating plastic recoil pad, cost about $12 to replace it, don't have to shake off white plastic crumbs any more after shootin' it. My kid liberated the Marlin.

I now have a nice Glock 17 with Endo grip adapter and Shockwave brace, lighter, shorter, just about as good within 35 yards or so unless the target is really small.

ENDO Tactical - Products - | Tactical Stock Adapter Glock Edition (TSA-G)

Really like the Glock/Endo/Shockwave combo, got another G17 set up with Ciener conversion kit to .22 LR.

I tried a KelTec Sub 2K but found it too clumsy for a 9mm, rather have a SU 16 for the weight and bulk.

Also got a 9mm kit for an AR pistol, like it just fine.

If you want any of the 9mm pistol stuff or any stuff with a brace, or an AR, better get it now. BATFE is in the comment stage waiting to publish new rules for ARs and all braces. Still time to comment, but best buy quick if you want anything like that.

Federal Register :: Factoring Criteria for Firearms With Attached “Stabilizing Braces”

Federal Register :: Definition of “Frame or Receiver” and Identification of Firearms

· Zomby Woof
14,341 Posts
Does anyone have one of the Ruger PC Carbines? If so how well do you like it? I have been interested in these ever since they came out but I have never seen one in the flesh, er, plastic. The over riding complaint on them seems to be the weight. The standard model is shown to weigh 6 pounds and 13oz. The newer version with a muffler shroud for a forearm shows to weigh 7 pounds 3 oz. And yes for a gun of this type thats a little weighty.

I have a Marlin model 9 Camp Carbine in 9mm and it weight 6 pounds 7oz so not a lot less than the Ruger standard model. I really like the Camp Carbine and we have shot it quite a bit. Its been flawless in function and more than accurate enough. Our standard plinking target is a pipe fence post set in the ground at almost 100 yards from my buds front porch. We shoot 10 round groups and so far the record is 8 out of 10 shots are hits. And all strings are fired off hand. I have shot it out to 200 yards and keeping your shots on a mans chest at that range from a field rest is not hard to do.

I have a lot of interest in the Ruger now that I have a Glock 17 and the ability to use the same mags for both guns is a big plus to me. I gave my son a S&W model 915 9mm pistol and it uses the same mags as the Marlin so I told him I want him to have the Marlin one day. If he comes up from Florida to the Ft Worth area to visit and is driving I will send it home with him. The Ruger would be a replacement for the Marlin.

I got a PC last year and have only put 150 rounds downrange. This seems to be a 50 yard carbine if you want 2 - 3 inch groups. I only fired 20 from a sled and got 1 - 1.5 at 50 yards. For accuracy mine seems to like heavier FMJ (147g) at 50 yards, but It has not been fully tested yet. The action has been flawless thus far with Glock mags (10, 17 & 33 round). It was an almost giddy delight to empty a mag then reach down to my EDC spare mag and fire 10 more. I think I chuckled or maybe giggled like a little girl at the time. :) I fired Hornady Critical Defense (115g), Federal FMJ (147g) and Winchester "white box" FMJ (115g). The Federal seemed more accurate, YMMV.
As for being a fun firearm, this is pretty damn good. I got a cheap red dot on it now and will try it out soon.

I hate to talk bad about a firearm that I have not yet fully tested, but I think from a sandbag my Glock 17 would give the PC a run for its money at 50 yards. It might not win, but it would come close.

· Space Force Recruit
3 sticks of butter and a can of Cheez-Whiz
2,054 Posts
I have one of the takedown models. It’s a fun PCC, pretty accurate and takes all my Glock magazines regardless of brand. I don’t notice the weight but I also run around the woods with a 10lb rifle for fun in my free time so a lighter gun is easier.

I will say skip the takedown model. Skip it not because it’s bad (it’s actually pretty nifty and works well) but because I’ve only ever done it once just to test it out. I’ve never had a reason since.

· Premium Member
2,207 Posts

I have a Marlin model 9 Camp Carbine in 9mm and it weight 6 pounds 7oz so not a lot less than the Ruger standard model. I really like the Camp Carbine and we have shot it quite a bit. Its been flawless in function and more than accurate enough. Our standard plinking target is a pipe fence post set in the ground at almost 100 yards from my buds front porch. We shoot 10 round groups and so far the record is 8 out of 10 shots are hits. And all strings are fired off hand. I have shot it out to 200 yards and keeping your shots on a mans chest at that range from a field rest is not hard to do.

Love the carbine, BUT yes to it should be a few pounds lighter !!.

It is fun to shoot and accurate too.

I have the model with the "coolish" forend that is ventilated.

I see it as a fill in for a M1 Carbine,if you cannot find a carbine.

Light,fast,pistol caliber.

Best part is the Glock magazine useage !!

· Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have one of the takedown models. It’s a fun PCC, pretty accurate and takes all my Glock magazines regardless of brand. I don’t notice the weight but I also run around the woods with a 10lb rifle for fun in my free time so a lighter gun is easier.

I will say skip the takedown model. Skip it not because it’s bad (it’s actually pretty nifty and works well) but because I’ve only ever done it once just to test it out. I’ve never had a reason since.
I looked again on the Ruger site and didn't see a non take down version. And I would prefer the non take down feature. But I will do more research and see what I come up with.

I like PC rifles. I have the above mentioned Marlin and Hi-Point 9mm rifles and Marlins in 357 and 44 mag. They do a lot of work with the relatively small powder charges. The ammo is light and so is the recoil. No they are not 200 yard rounds. Keep them between 80 and a 100 yards and they are good for hunting and best for personal defense. Thats probably why Winchester sold so many 1873 rifles in 44-40 and 38-40. A good balance of power and recoil that anyone could tolerate.

Reactions: scaatylobo

· You ARE what you IS!
Prepped enough is NEVER good enough!
6,521 Posts
Although Ruger firearms are lots of bang for the buck and I own several, for a 9mm PCC, the CZ Scorpion EVO rocks! Fabulous for falling steel competition and I've dispatched several decent sized wild hogs with mine.

· Team 30-30 Mem. #190
421 Posts
Got the 40cal to match my Glock. Put a Red Dot on it and I love it.
Found that Winchester 180gr 'Train & Defend' ammo stays within 4" at 25yds. Which is great when you're the shakest gun in the east. Nice and compact. Had it for about 2 yrs now, so far no problems. The 'take down' feature is cool, would like to find something inconspicuous to carry it in.

· Semper Fi
11,980 Posts
I looked into one (own several other Ruger firearms) but the 9mm doesn't really need a 16" barrel. So the rifle is heavy and bulky for what it does.

· Wearing fur underwears...
3,494 Posts
I have a Ruger PCC in 9mm. The regular pricing I thought was pretty heavy, but I got a great deal on mine. The take down, and target trigger push the price up a bit I suppose.

Did not really think I'd use the take down very much, but I'm a fan now. So fast, and positive once you get the tension nut set right. Remote to mount a scope just to see if it keeps a good zero after taking it down, and reassembling. Nice to be able to put it into a pack or nondescript bag when traveling and want a carbine, but don't want the attention.

Lots to like about the gun. Nice features and touches. Not usually a fan of plastic, but the stock is decent. It has a very good target trigger for a semi auto. And I wouldn't worry a lot about solvent melting too much on it. The sights are good, all steel and very usable. Not quite as easy to adjust as some aftermarket
sights, but not bad.

A nice built in rail to mount a scope if wanted. All the screws, bushings, and the fit is very good on the Ruger. The barrel is semi heavy, which contributes to the weight which some grumble about, but I like the feel, and handling. Recoil, and rifle movement is of course minimal.

The little gun is accurate, and will stack bullets at closer range. Probably at longer range too, but as of yet, I haven't shot it at very long range.

I have a CZ clone, so modified my magazines, which include a couple of Mec Gar to work with the Ruger mag well and also hold the bolt open on last shot.

Also painted the carbine stock which took the paint readily, and fitted a lightweight sling, and flashlight to the nicely provided points.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts