Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very seldom do I see anybgody on this forum discuss Ruger P-series pistols as a choice among their pistols. Is there any reason for this?

I have/ have owned the P-85, P-90 and P-95s in 9mm and .45. They have all perform flawlessly with good accuracy. They are affordable new and can be found pre-owned for even less.

Lightweight, affordable, concealable, rugged and reliable. That is my experience with them. What is yours?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Lightweight, affordable, concealable, rugged and reliable. That is my experience with them. What is yours?
Also somewhat bulky, not very attractive, and not as good ergonomically for some people. I had and shot a P-90 for several years as a duty weapon, and it is a fine reliable gun, but a Sig or Glock is just easier for my hands and old eyes to make function.
For the price they are a good value, but will seldom be anyones first choice if money allows other options.

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
I carried the P-97 .45 for years, in fact up to this year when I got the XD.

I never had a problem with the Ruger..:thumb:

Reactions: Highlander

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also somewhat bulky, not very attractive, and not as good ergonomically for some people. I had and shot a P-90 for several years as a duty weapon, and it is a fine reliable gun, but a Sig or Glock is just easier for my hands and old eyes to make function.
For the price they are a good value, but will seldom be anyones first choice if money allows other options.
I do not find my P-95 bulky at all. After some slip on grips I think is is well balanced.

Since I am a lefty, I really like the ambidextrious safety/decocker.

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
I loved my P-91DC. Ruger does not make the old DC types anymore, so I don't have one since I sold my 91. It is rare for me to find a decent used one at a good price (less than $300 is a good price to me) so I purchased a Taurus 24/7 OSS in .40 that does decock. It is very ergonomic and holds more rounds than the 91. Plus, I got it new for $350 - beat that!

Edited: It was a 91 (.40 cal), not a 94

·
free man
626 Posts
I like'm. I've had a P90 safety/decocker since around 93ish. Great pistol. Easy to shoot accurately. Reliable. Etc. I've owned a customized Hipower for 30yrs until giving it away to my son recently. Also carry a Springfield Armory V10 1911 or Glock 26. I think the P90 shoots/handles just fine compared to those.
Over built, since it was originally designed for the 10mm. But was changed to .45 when it became apparent the 10mm was going to the way side to a degree at the time.
With the awesome Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig.

·
Proud "Neo-Confederate"
2,124 Posts
I borrowed my Brothers P95 9mm for about 3 years and i loved it. It is big enough for my hands without being too bulky. It was well balanced and never had a Mis-fire or failure to feed even after it was in my Bronco center console when it got submerged in a swamp when i was out Hunting and took a wrong turn. I wiped it off and shot it at some cans while i was waiting for someone to come pull me out.

Oh yeah it is stupid easy to disassmble and clean.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Very seldom do I see anybgody on this forum discuss Ruger P-series pistols as a choice among their pistols. Is there any reason for this?

I have/ have owned the P-85, P-90 and P-95s in 9mm and .45. They have all perform flawlessly with good accuracy. They are affordable new and can be found pre-owned for even less.

Owned a couple.

They are durable, reliable guns, that are Bulky, ergernomics suck, poor triggers, don't like decokckers, NOT lightweight, and HUGE to CCW.

Mags are expensive also.

They work though.

Consider it a fat chick or a Moped...:D:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Big fan of all things ruger for their durability. I had a p95 for a few years and decided to "backstep" to a wheel gun. Yep, ruger 357 gp100...

I found the pistol to be strong and a better shooter than I am (as almost all guns really are) the grip was a bit large for my hand, but not enough to worry about.

John

·
Registered
435 Posts
Most people i know don't like the size of the grip of the p-94 i had. I got big meat hooks so it never bothered me. Good gun and the mags were 15-17 bucks a piece...no worries.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I owned the P-90. I really like the pistol and it fired every time. the only problem I had was with the trigger pull, I could never get use to it and it caused problems with my accuracy. Basically I couldn't hit crap with it. I'm guessing it was due to the trigger I could not get use to. Any way I trded it in for store credit at the shop I bought it from, they did me right since I bought it from them.

Tbull:cool:

·
Only Half Human
533 Posts
I love mine. I have had it 6 months and put through 3-4,000 rounds. Had maybe 1 or 2 jams early on. Very accurate gun. I agree it is kind of bulky but at $325 with an extra mag brand new I feel it was a good deal. I have a lot of confidence in it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've had a P95D for about 10 years. I've put about 1000 rounds through the pistol and it has NEVER choked on a round. Mine is not very accurate though, at least not in comparison with my 1911.

·
Apocaloptimist
2,708 Posts
I've owned a Ruger P95 in 9mm since 2001. It is the best value for the money I have ever spent on a handgun. I paid $249 out the door for a brand new weapon. I've put several thousand rounds through it and have not had a single misfire. Perfect gun for someone that doesn't go to the range everyday and clean their guns every use. You'll never notice the grip or bulky-ness if all you use it for is to stop some SOB from breaking in your home.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had a P-series Ruger and was never able to get it to shoot right. Jammed constantly and shot low and to the right. I've had Ruger revolvers and loved them, but since the bad experience with the pistol, I just don't consider them anymore. Traded for a Glock .45 and am quite satisfied.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got my P90 brand new ($390) about two years ago and have had no real problems with it. It could have a better trigger, but i can do just fine with it at reasonable distances. Even being a relatively small guy I can conceal the P90 with almost zero effort. Awsome pistol for the money i paid.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Nothing worng with the hundreds that were in my commands Armory. A bit ugly lines wise but built like the proverbial brick crap house as just about every Ruger gun is.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nothing worng with the hundreds that were in my commands Armory. A bit ugly lines wise but built like the proverbial brick crap house as just about every Ruger gun is.
Where are they in service? I thought Glock, Colt, S&W, Sig, H&K and Beretta had the most of the government contracts.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts